Any tips on bleeding Magura MT4 brakes?

JayVee

I wanted to check my disk pads, but had a brain fade moment and started unscrewing the fluid screw on the front brake instead of the one that retains the pads. :rolleyes:

I think a tiny amount of fluid might have slipped away, even if air pressure is supposed to keep the fluid in the tube. For the moment the brakes work OK, but I think I'm going to bleed and replenish them just to be sure.

Anyone have experience with doing this on Magura brakes?

I was thinking of ordering this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU88XLB?psc=1

Pretty sure this isn't going to be fun looking at some of the videos on YouTube.

But it's lucky we have YouTube. I remember the last time I did this on another bike it was a total mess...

Last edited:

JRA

You have the right idea to get the proper bleed kit and get with the YouTube instructions. But unless you squoze the brake while you had the fluid screw out I doubt that you compromised the brake at all.

JayVee

Thanks. I didn't squeeze the tube and the travel distance seems equal to the rear brake which I didn't touch. I only unscrewed a couple of turns before I realized it wasn't the right screw, and then screwed back. However when I unscrewed the proper screw (the one for the disk pads), it had a drop of oil on it. And that seems like a really weird place for someone to put lubricant because it's sitting directly over the disk pads... They haven't been contaminated because it was really a very small amount of grease, but nevertheless I'm going to order one of these kits and bleed the front brake according to one of the Magura instruction videos. I would have had to learn how to do this properly at some point any way, so I guess that when the bike is new is just as good as any time.