Anybody else a bit reluctant to ride their eBike in the rain?

taskrov

Region
USA
I used to love riding my bike in the rain on hot summer days...you know...those steamy days when you can actually smell the street. We have had several of those type days recently here in southern New England - with more on the way - and even though my Aventon Level is designed and certified to the IPX4 water-resistance standard, I just know too much about electronics, wiring, and micro connectors to feel comfortable doing so. Heck, after taking a long ride on some of our more humid days, I set my garage dehumidifier to its lowest setting (35%) in order to dry everything out for several hours. Direct water exposure however, is something that I just don't feel comfortable with.

The big issue with moisture exposure is that typically, problems don't rear their ugly heads - so to speak - until well after the initial and subsequent exposures, and then all of a sudden, something fails because of a small amount of corrosion, and one is suddenly reminded of the fact that electrical issues can be some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot and repair.

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is put a little Ziploc snack-bag over my monitor and just ride. Am I thinking about this too much?
My controller died. When I opened the case it was full of sediment dirt. I don't ride in rain, only ride through puddles if I cannot avoid it. I found one wire completely corroded away. My attempt to re-solder a new wire failed. There simply is not enough space to work on the circuit board. I also noted that there was no seal on the box-it was simply metal on metal which is waterproof at all. Also, the grommets sealing the wires on both end were not sealed. I email the pictures to the manufacturer and they ordered a new controller (no questions asked) even though my bike was 6 months out of warranty. When the new controller arrives, I will definitely check if it is sealed better. If not, I will improvise some rubber seal and silicone caulk. Unfortunately the controller is on back order from China for the past month and I have no idea when I will get it. In the mean time I am back to my regular bike.

bstaggs

Region
USA
Normally I wouldn't be worried about it, but after washing my Giant E-Bike with a water hose (not a power washer), taking care not to overly direct water at any electronics, only to find I was unable to turn off the bike without removing the battery, I guess I will avoid intentionally riding in the rain. It took 4 days to dry out enough to function normally.

fooferdoggie

Normally I wouldn't be worried about it, but after washing my Giant E-Bike with a water hose (not a power washer), taking care not to overly direct water at any electronics, only to find I was unable to turn off the bike without removing the battery, I guess I will avoid intentionally riding in the rain. It took 4 days to dry out enough to function normally.
that should not happen maybe it needs a warranty check?

bstaggs

Region
USA
that should not happen maybe it needs a warranty check?
After reading on this forum, it would seem to be a common issue on 2020 Giants. My wife has a 2021 and it didn't suffer the same faith during the same washing session. However her's has been in the shop for several weeks after it started turning itself off during rides. With that in mind, I might consider having the shop look it over, but certainly not until the good riding weather is over.

fooferdoggie

After reading on this forum, it would seem to be a common issue on 2020 Giants. My wife has a 2021 and it didn't suffer the same faith during the same washing session. However her's has been in the shop for several weeks after it started turning itself off during rides. With that in mind, I might consider having the shop look it over, but certainly not until the good riding weather is over.
ya it sucks though. man the rain I have ridden in here in Portland.

ElevenAD

I went to his youtube page and wouldn't you know.......that's the last video with the Fried ebike. 🌊

His new bike is a Luna. So far, no water explorations with the Luna.
lol, no its not! The Frey is just fine he is actually riding the Frey in the Luna X-1 unboxing video a year after dunking it.