Bafang Ultra Mid-Drive Fat Tire Ebike Review - Etek Hunter

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
You say this bike is definately not an entry level bike and call it a premium luxury bike? Ill have to disagree with you. The only component not entry level is the motor and unless that motor and battery is really expensive I think you can do much better with the price range you are talking about.

The drivetrain is entry level junk and likely will wear out quickly with the power of that motor. The front fork may be fine for street riding but its not a quality fork, you can buy a simliar fork for under $200 on Amazon. Look up the Manitou Mastadon as an example of a quality fat bike fork. A hub drive bike with a torque sensor will give you almost the same feel as a mid drive if thats what you are looking for, without the high price.

Lastly, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but boy that is one ugly 80 lb bike. It's just my opinion but I think one could find a much better bike in that price range. You welcomed negative opinions so please dont get offended.

No offense taken here, just curious about what some of your better picks might look like here too, and further, what you base your drive line opinions on?

I ask this, as I have a similar Ultra powered bike, a Rize RX Pro, which is in a similar price range (if not even less money), and that bike has 1500 miles on the original chain with no real sign of wear. I was planning on updating the drive train as it wore after hearing about all of the issues some where claiming, but now find myself wondering when that will need to be done.....

And so you don't think this bike has been pampered, I routinely accelerate from a stop in 4th through 6th gears (of 9), I weigh 315lbs, and the bike was purchased just for the big coastal hills I frequent in the area I ride most often. It replaces a geared hub bike that was converted to a 1000 watt geared hub (MAC 12t). So I'm pretty familiar with the geared hub vs. mid drive qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA

ElevenAD

The Rize RX is also a killer bike but will cost $3800 with dual batteries! $3500usd will be very hard to top for a dual battery Ultra powered bike.
1656923459502.png

mail_e36

All great insights!

The Rize RX is an attractive bike for sure, albeit currently sold out.

Per their website, if spec'd with the second battery and 4 inch fat tires, it would be just shy of $4,000 USD plus any applicable sales tax and shipping.

(I do like that the Rize RX has an integrated gear shift sensor, which the Etek Hunter does not have from the factory.)

ElevenAD

All great insights!

The Rize RX is an attractive bike for sure, albeit currently sold out.

Per their website, if spec'd with the second battery and 4 inch fat tires, it would be just shy of $4,000 USD plus any applicable sales tax and shipping.

(I do like that the Rize RX has an integrated gear shift sensor, which the Etek Hunter does not have from the factory.)
The Rize is also running a 52v battery pack vs the 48v Etek

mail_e36

That's a good point, @ElevenAD.

I've long wondered if there is a practical difference between the 48v and 52v systems (the 52v systems sure do sound attractive, on paper at least!), but I imagine someone with some expertise would be able to ascertain if there is a real-world difference between them.

ElevenAD

That's a good point, @ElevenAD.

I've long wondered if there is a practical difference between the 48v and 52v systems (the 52v systems sure do sound attractive, on paper at least!), but I imagine someone with some expertise would be able to ascertain if there is a real-world difference between them.
some will disagree im sure but i feel i get more kick out of my 52v pack! I even ride in a lower PAS level when im running the 52v.