Battery charging routine?

Gionnirocket

I charge my Bosch gen 2 battery when i get home from work. It stays on the charger overnight and shuts off on its own. Just my opinion, the minor gains in battery life are not worth the effort of trying to outsmart the battery management system. The engineers who designed this system have far more experience and education than I do. I paid for their expertise and manufacturing allowing me to just enjoy the ride without worrying about it.
I agree... The engineers are very smart... and getting you to buy a new battery in a few years is great for Bosch. But if they were working for the end user, all chargers would come with a variable charge option.
Understand that no one is trying to be smarter than the engineers or the BMS...it's just how lithium batteries work. Period.
All depending on how much of your battery capacity you need per ride and how much you understand the benefits of implementing a strategy should govern how you approach this. It's really not difficult or time consuming and I can charge my battery to 80% (or any other %) with the same ease as you charge to 100%.
But you do make a good point in that if it detracts from your pleasure of ownership... Then it is not worth any effort at all.

Dale C

I agree... The engineers are very smart... and getting you to buy a new battery in a few years is great for Bosch. But if they were working for the end user, all chargers would come with a variable charge option.
Understand that no one is trying to be smarter than the engineers or the BMS...it's just how lithium batteries work. Period.
All depending on how much of your battery capacity you need per ride and how much you understand the benefits of implementing a strategy should govern how you approach this. It's really not difficult or time consuming and I can charge my battery to 80% (or any other %) with the same ease as you charge to 100%.
But you do make a good point in that if it detracts from your pleasure of ownership... Then it is not worth any effort at all.
We are both right. There are no bad decisions or wrong answers. Only different outcomes.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
The choice is rather simple... maximize battery life or maximize convenience. ;)
Here is an infographic from Grin Tech in Canada... Charging Cycles vs. Charge %
You can triple the cycle life of your battery by charging it only to 80% vs. 100%.

charge.png

Last edited:

Gionnirocket

The choice is rather simple... maximize battery life or maximize convenience. ;)
Here is an infographic from Grin Tech in Canada... Charging Cycles vs. Charge %
You can triple the cycle life of your battery by charging it only to 80% vs. 100%.

charge.png
Once you figure out a plan that fits your needs with some initial work, there is no further inconvenience

ebikemom

Pedego says to charge after every ride. The "cycle" number per battery is full charges, and a partial charge doesn't count as a full charge. I don't charge after every ride, though, except before the pandemic when I commuted on my ebike and wanted to have a full charge so I'd always be ready for my commute.

Bubba zanetti

Region
Canada
City
Trail, BC
I have a silly nube question. How do you know the % of your battery as you are charging? I assume using the controller and charging on the bike ... or?

McCorby

I have a silly nube question. How do you know the % of your battery as you are charging? I assume using the controller and charging on the bike ... or?
I charge my battery off the bike. My battery has 5 LEDs, so each lit LED is 20%. I charge to 80% by unplugging the charger when the 5th LED starts flashing.

My display and the phone app. gives battery percentage, so I have confirmed that the battery is at 80% when the 5th LED begins flashing.

Last edited:

6zfshdb

I use a stupid plug timer... basically a dial timer, just to save me the trouble of unplugging when it's done charging.
I do the same simply as a fail safe measure. I now do the same with my cordless tool batteries ever since a local tractor dealer burned down due to a faulty charger.