Battery Cost: $1,299

mjorg

There's nothing illegal about posting emails scrubbed of personal info, unless you signed a non disclosure agreement. It could be illegal to claim they said something when they didn't.
Because of your last sentence, I rescind my offer to send you the email. I'll produce it if ever I have to go to court. No need to be nasty. Not trying to hurt this company. I just used this forum to find out if there was any good reason for the high price. Could be that much technically superior. I really wanted to buy this bike.

Handlebars

Region
Canada
Y'all don't know as much about publishing as you like to think you do. Not just Handlebars, all y'all.

It's a good example of something that is high-priced, for which there are legitimate reasons. Are some textbooks high-priced for illegitimate reasons? No doubt. Not all, not by a stretch. The authors and publishers don't make as much as y'all seem to think. I've worked in print shops, and I know that the first volume of any book might cost $100,000 dollars. The next copies, only a dollar or two. But they've got to make that original investment back, and when there is a limited market for a given text, it's going to be expensive.
You misapprehended, maybe because of your attachments. I'm not under an illusion that publishing is not very expensive, it's that the university admin culture is sick and corrupt at this point and simply encouraging more spending, not even attempting to curb the excesses. There's absolutely no need to have most textbooks replaced as often as they are. No wonder students come out with life-crushing debt and can't think of having a family until they are well past their "best before" date.

Asher

@Bruce Arnold, why are you tagging moderators in an implicit request for them to censor the forum over truthful brand criticism? Forums here have always served to disseminate multiple kinds of information, both mutual aid and consumer awareness. This thread is about the latter, on a topic that consumers often ignore, the long term cost of ownership. Forums both general and brand specific are as much for current owners as they are prospective owners - and often, like you, they are both at once, because they are current owners mulling buying again. Plus, in this thread, including you, people have shared pointers about alternative sources of batteries (which personally would make me a little skittish if it needed modding).

Forums evolve over time as the obvious ground is covered - from building on open land to modifying existing structures, in city planning terms. Threads are naturally now focused not on low hanging fruit but changes in Juiced's offerings, battery pricing among them. (Juiced used to sell a 922 wh battery for $900-100.)

There have been dubious criticisms occasionally on EBR, of people making false claims about a brand, but that's not what is happening here. If the OP is being truthful about Juiced saying it has no control over its own battery pricing, then it's likely just the opposite, the brand is lying.

Without seeing the company's finances, it's impossible to tell if charging 2.5-3x cost for batteries is necessary to turn a profit or not, and neither you nor I have that info. Circumstantially, it seems highly doubtful, because Juiced was operating with lower battery prices and much lower volumes before, and it doesn't appear to be a venture capital funded company that can afford to lose money on sales for years at a time. It doesn't ultimately matter. What does matter is what Juiced is charging and what the alternatives are charging, and people can decide accordingly.

Last edited:

Asher

Because of your last sentence, I rescind my offer to send you the email. I'll produce it if ever I have to go to court. No need to be nasty. Not trying to hurt this company. I just used this forum to find out if there was any good reason for the high price. Could be that much technically superior. I really wanted to buy this bike.
Lol whatever man. It doesn't seem like you have much awareness of the law, and when I shared some, you took it the wrong way. If someone writes you a letter where there's no presumption of privacy and you share what they said, there's no claim of slander/libel. It's only a problem of slander or libel if you misrepresent what they said, and a screenshot request is deliberately an ask for what they said unedited and unfiltered.

My ask was actually to potentially exonerate Juiced, in case you had claimed they said something they didn't actually say (that they have no control over battery pricing). I wanted to confirm the allegations against the accused.

Handlebars

Region
Canada
Sheesh. Telling others what those others think they know but don't. Double mind-reading and calling in the gendarmes.

jangles

It's not. It's just bashing. Over and over.

I'm not asking for censorship. You made that up. I'm saying this subforum has gotten sick and needs attention from the mods.
To me your posts seem a little like maybe you work or have stock in Juiced . Instead of screaming foul do like I did , I got the Georgia Democrat thing killed and will on every P threads that come along but what I didnt do was participate in it . Either step up or shut up .
lol

Timpo

It's not. It's just bashing. Over and over.

I'm not asking for censorship. You made that up. I'm saying this subforum has gotten sick and needs attention from the mods.
You get heated up when people criticize Juiced.

There are numerous criticism about any brands, all over EBR.
People have had problems with Surface 604, Himiway, NCM, DJ Bikes, Rad Power, etc.

You could care less about criticism on any other brands but Juiced.

tomjasz

@Bruce Arnold, why are you tagging moderators in an implicit request for them to censor the forum over truthful brand criticism? Forums here have always served to disseminate multiple kinds of information, both mutual aid and consumer awareness. This thread is about the latter, on a topic that consumers often ignore, the long term cost of ownership. Forums both general and brand specific are as much for current owners as they are prospective owners - and often, like you, they are both at once, because they are current owners mulling buying again. Plus, in this thread, including you, people have shared pointers about alternative sources of batteries (which personally would make me a little skittish if it needed modding).

Forums evolve over time as the obvious ground is covered - from building on open land to modifying existing structures, in city planning terms. Threads are naturally now focused not on low hanging fruit but changes in Juiced's offerings, battery pricing among them. (Juiced used to sell a 922 wh battery for $900-100.)

There have been dubious criticisms occasionally on EBR, of people making false claims about a brand, but that's not what is happening here. If the OP is being truthful about Juiced saying it has no control over its own battery pricing, then it's likely just the opposite, the brand is lying.

Without seeing the company's finances, it's impossible to tell if charging 2.5-3x cost for batteries is necessary to turn a profit or not, and neither you nor I have that info. Circumstantially, it seems highly doubtful, because Juiced was operating with lower battery prices and much lower volumes before, and it doesn't appear to be a venture capital funded company that can afford to lose money on sales for years at a time. It doesn't ultimately matter. What does matter is what Juiced is charging and what the alternatives are charging, and people can decide accordingly.
I wanted to like your post but noticed it’s been liked by two of the most argumentative posters here.

harryS

It's a free market. Vendors can charge whatever they want. Customer service reps will exaggerate or say stuff that's wrong. "Just passing on the costs, man"

Ditto for forum responses. The discussion says Juiced made their own extra large battery case,. Those plastic molds can be quite expensive, even in CHina. So I'll cut them slack on my $50 estimate for the case. They could have some big tooling costs to amortize. Still, you gotta be goofy rich to pay $1299 for a battery.

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Staff member
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
Can you post a screenshot of the conversation to confirm what you are saying? Specifically, Juiced saying they have no control over pricing. @mjorg
Just a heads up, posting screenshots of private discussions is against our Terms of Use. I can't comment on if it is illegal or not... just not allowed here :)

Now it's deteriorated into people hating on JB so much of the time, instead of the knowledge sharing we used to have. I may just have to duck out. Every so often there are posts where someone has a real question or a real observation and it fills a purpose. But this thread is way too common -- someone starts with a complaint, the usual people pile on, and there's no information being exchanged. Seems like the purpose is to talk people out of buying Juiced Bikes.

@Court and @troehrkasse please take note.
I know it can be a bummer when all the new threads seem to have a negative slant... but I think this thread is a totally fair topic and it has been good discussion so far. There is a huge price difference between spare batteries for Juiced and those for other companies, and I actually quite enjoyed the detailed posts about battery construction and cell quality, etc.

Forums for a brand can often seem to have more negative threads than positive... because people who have a bad experience are more motivated to talk about it. Those experiences and the discussions they spark are an important part of why EBR exists. I encourage you to keep creating the stuff you want to see, sharing knowledge and positive experiences, and you can use the new Ignore Thread features to disappear any negative threads that you don't want to see constantly popping up.

-- for everyone else -- let's put a lid on the textbook pricing argument, feel free to start a thread for it in Off Topic you're feeling that passionate about it :)

Bruce Arnold

You get heated up when people criticize Juiced.

There are numerous criticism about any brands, all over EBR.
People have had problems with Surface 604, Himiway, NCM, DJ Bikes, Rad Power, etc.

You could care less about criticism on any other brands but Juiced.
I don't follow any other brands but Juiced. And I read the General Discussion forum. That's it. So that explains the lack of involvement elsewhere.

Bruce Arnold

Just a heads up, posting screenshots of private discussions is against our Terms of Use. I can't comment on if it is illegal or not... just not allowed here :)

I know it can be a bummer when all the new threads seem to have a negative slant... but I think this thread is a totally fair topic and it has been good discussion so far. There is a huge price difference between spare batteries for Juiced and those for other companies, and I actually quite enjoyed the detailed posts about battery construction and cell quality, etc.

Forums for a brand can often seem to have more negative threads than positive... because people who have a bad experience are more motivated to talk about it. Those experiences and the discussions they spark are an important part of why EBR exists. I encourage you to keep creating the stuff you want to see, sharing knowledge and positive experiences, and you can use the new Ignore Thread features to disappear any negative threads that you don't want to see constantly popping up.

-- for everyone else -- let's put a lid on the textbook pricing argument, feel free to start a thread for it in Off Topic you're feeling that passionate about it :)
Thanks for checking in. If it were just this thread, I'd have never mentioned it. I hope you'll just keep an eye on things and see if there isn't a general trend of non-productive, non-informative, knee-jerk JB-bashing. And if there is, I don't know what the solution might be. That's up to the mods.

Handlebars

Region
Canada
That battery is a bargain compared to the Stromer at $3200 (983Wh)
EEEEK! and the big retailer in Toronto was selling them after years sitting in storage and that was after buying out stock from other businesses as they folded.

Reactions: MMC

Timpo

4tqtug.jpg

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Agreed. You could buy the complete bike with 19 miles for less than the battery price... and still not a good value! ;)

2020 Stromer ST1 | ST1 Electric Bike | Stromer Electric Bike | ST1 eBike (crazylennysebikes.com)
1610606871393.png