Best options?

Bruce Arnold

Also, look at the Sun Trip page. In 2018, they did a race from Lyons, France to Guangzhou, China -- over 7000 km -- all recharging done via solar power. They are all DYI, with such a variety of different solutions to the same challenge.

Here's an article about my favorite rider, Jack Butler. The videos on his YouTube channel are delightful. He documented his Sun Trip adventure really well.

BBassett

Also, look at the Sun Trip page. In 2018, they did a race from Lyons, France to Guangzhou, China -- over 7000 km -- all recharging done via solar power. They are all DYI, with such a variety of different solutions to the same challenge.

Here's an article about my favorite rider, Jack Butler. The videos on his YouTube channel are delightful. He documented his Sun Trip adventure really well.
I seriously wouldn't recommend a rigid solar panel mounted to a bike or trailer. It's dangerous enough with a fully loaded bike and trailer and wind pushing you everywhere, but you're right solar power changes the whole game.

I bought my current e-bike knowing that this was my first e-bike, so was happy to find a mid-drive Bosch bike for $1399. I'm still very happy with it.
98% of the time, I'm using it for day rides and the 40-50 mile range is plenty. Bosch batteries are simply really expensive and they only work
on Bosch powered bikes. I'm very hesitant about spending that much money on a second battery that I'm unlikely to use that much. The 500 battery seems
to go for about 800 dollars or more, which is probably higher than the current value of my bike. A used 400 is about $350 which seems more in keeping with the
value of the bike, but I don't think it's going to get me far enough in hilly riding. I am looking at the e-bike vision batteries, but can't find any evidence of someone else trying
them and liking them. Still, I have to decide whether I want to stay with my current Bosch bike or move onto something else before I do a longer tour.

BBassett

...Still, I have to decide whether I want to stay with my current Bosch bike or move onto something else before I do a longer tour.
If it's taking you as far as you like then ride it like ya stole it. Your situation is exactly why I tell people not to buy into a production ebikes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Ride safe.

Bruce Arnold

I seriously wouldn't recommend a rigid solar panel mounted to a bike or trailer. It's dangerous enough with a fully loaded bike and trailer and wind pushing you everywhere...
And yet the majority of entrants made it the whole way from Lyons to Guangzhou with their rigidly mounted solar panels. A few minor accidents. It's a fascinating story. I'm looking forward to this year's Sun Trip, starting in July IIRC.