both assist and throttle disappeared on a steep hill

plamentd

both assist and throttle disappeared on a steep hill.
no any error indication on the display.
rear wheel was like blocked
restored by themselves after ~20s

is it because of overheating of the motor?
it was hot, but I think not too much, I was able to hold my hand on it.

or maybe for some reason rear brake was engaged?

btw there were radio towers next to me, is it possible to be some interference with the controller?

can it cause permanent damage?

there were no problems on my way down.

rich c

The controller is more susceptible to heat than the motor. Where you in the Granny gear? Out of the saddle pushing hard? No to magic brake application and magical electrical interference. You could put an aluminum foil hat over the motor just in case. Better wear one over your helmet too! Yes you can cause permanent damage if the fail safes don't work, or you insist on even longer lesser grades on full throttle. Remember you are riding an electrical assist bicycle, not a motorcycle. I never have issues going downhill on my eBikes.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
I think maybe you're right regarding an overheated motor. The gear driven hub motors, as well as the mid mount motors, neither motor has direct contact with the outside case. It's very easy to beleive you may have gotten one or the other hot enough to kick out while still able to put your hand on the outside case.

plamentd

The controller is more susceptible to heat than the motor. Where you in the Granny gear? Out of the saddle pushing hard? No to magic brake application and magical electrical interference. You could put an aluminum foil hat over the motor just in case. Better wear one over your helmet too! Yes you can cause permanent damage if the fail safes don't work, or you insist on even longer lesser grades on full throttle. Remember you are riding an electrical assist bicycle, not a motorcycle. I never have issues going downhill on my eBikes.
thank you, very helpful and informative
as an obvious expert, what kind of foil would you recommend?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
thank you, very helpful and informative
as an obvious expert, what kind of foil would you recommend?
If you're going to try that, might as well go first class and get the oven rated!

JES2020

both assist and throttle disappeared on a steep hill.
no any error indication on the display.
rear wheel was like blocked
restored by themselves after ~20s

is it because of overheating of the motor?
it was hot, but I think not too much, I was able to hold my hand on it.

or maybe for some reason rear brake was engaged?

btw there were radio towers next to me, is it possible to be some interference with the controller?

can it cause permanent damage?

there were no problems on my way down.
Also possible you hit the low limit voltage, safty cut off. Which will reset after a few seconds of non use.

fauconnier

Region
Canada
My rear Bafang hub motor cut for few seconds when I do donuts on gravel, but never stop on a hill. I always thought, no proof, that the controller or the BMS tried to protect the battery like JES2020 wrote : low voltage cut off.

JES2020

My rear Bafang hub motor cut for few seconds when I do donuts on gravel, but never stop on a hill. I always thought, no proof, that the controller or the BMS tried to protect the battery like JES2020 wrote : low voltage cut off.
You would only have to check your battery voltage, when it shut down.

ChezCheese:)

Region
USA
City
Kitsap Co, WA
Did you re-seat your battery? Occasionally, on a rough road, the connection fails and if you remove and re-seat your battery, all will be well. On my bike, when this happens, the controller remains on and the display works, but the motor becomes like lead. So you don't at first think it is a battery connection issue.