Brake Pads

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
well ya but we have 20% grade hills I went to the top of this one hill 1500 feet of climbing in less then 2 miles. I wnt on this trail it was almost 2 hours solid climbing o our tandem and constant braking coming down.
Fine. Your hills are bigger than my hills.

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
Having gone to 2 LBS looking, both wanted $18 for a single pair of pads.(!?!) I got 4 pair on Ebay
for $12, & probably could have found cheaper. I´d like to sympathize, but that kind of gouging isn´t
gonna keep then in business.
Everyone talks about supporting your local LBS so that they can stay in business, but most people don't actually follow that advice even on inexpensive items like brake pads. It is just human nature. For me, I live in the mountains and "local" is still a 45 minute drive. It is easier (and cheaper) to just order stuff online.

fooferdoggie

Just adjusted my brakes & checked the pads after 500 mi. No visible wear on my $3 a pair pads,
still stop me just fine, thx. Name brands are way over rated. Did you pay $45 for Kool stop, cuz
that´s what the LBS wanted $18 for?
I did not use koolstop because they don't make what I need. they cost less then shimano but they don't make sintered pads either. Hey if you think it is worth saving literally less then 10.00 on pads thats up to you. but I l have learned from Hark many years of riding there are places to save money and places not too. I ridne in the rain the winter all the time.
you can also buy some cheap imported no name Chinese bike too. I am not going to risk my life on cheap brakes.
500 miles and no wear? I get about 4000 miles with lots of High speed stopping as I ride in the city

fooferdoggie

Everyone talks about supporting your local LBS so that they can stay in business, but most people don't actually follow that advice even on inexpensive items like brake pads. It is just human nature. For me, I live in the mountains and "local" is still a 45 minute drive. It is easier (and cheaper) to just order stuff online.
I do when I can. not always and sometimes they are out of what I need. we have more biek stores then you can shake a stick at. They know me and give me free advice and help me faster because of it.

john peck

I did not use koolstop because they don't make what I need. they cost less then shimano but they don't make sintered pads either. Hey if you think it is worth saving literally less then 10.00 on pads thats up to you. but I l have learned from Hark many years of riding there are places to save money and places not too. I ridne in the rain the winter all the time.
you can also buy some cheap imported no name Chinese bike too. I am not going to risk my life on cheap brakes.
500 miles and no wear? I get about 4000 miles with lots of High speed stopping as I ride in the city
Whatever you can afford is just dandy with me, & I´m just fine with what I´ve got.

Timpo

you mean from aliexpress.com? nope I will support real companies I don't want them drying up and going over to the cheapest Chinese crap.
lol you sound like my boss from work.

He was looking for an ebike, so I suggested all the ebike companies Ride1Up, Rad Power, Juiced, Rize, Aventon, among others.. the companies he had never heard of. (But bike companies like Rad Power and others have good customer service)

He pretty much brushed me off and told me how doesn't trust his life with cheap Chinese ebikes and will just stick to "real companies" like Trek, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Cannondale, Yamaha, etc.

I have absolutely no problem with Chinese ebikes and parts, but hey, I can understand why some people are still hesitant.

fooferdoggie

lol you sound like my boss from work.

He was looking for an ebike, so I suggested all the ebike companies Ride1Up, Rad Power, Juiced, Rize, Aventon, among others.. the companies he had never heard of. (But bike companies like Rad Power and others have good customer service)

He pretty much brushed me off and told me how doesn't trust his life with cheap Chinese ebikes and will just stick to "real companies" like Trek, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Cannondale, Yamaha, etc.

I have absolutely no problem with Chinese ebikes and parts, but hey, I can understand why some people are still hesitant.
so you would buy a no name bike from aliexpress.com?

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
The reality is that the big name bicycle manufacturers also use Chinese factories to make their frames. There may be a difference in quality control, but the main difference between them and smaller companies is in volume. Small companies have access to the same components that the big companies do. However, if they are targeting a sub $1000 or sub $2000 price point, they are going to have to make compromises in the components that they use.

fooferdoggie

The reality is that the big name bicycle manufacturers also use Chinese factories to make their frames. There may be a difference in quality control, but the main difference between them and smaller companies is in volume. Small companies have access to the same components that the big companies do. However, if they are targeting a sub $1000 or sub $2000 price point, they are going to have to make compromises in the components that they use.
quality control and support. buying a bike you cant ride first is just problematic for me.

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
quality control and support. buying a bike you cant ride first is just problematic for me.
It is possible for a smaller company, for example Watt Wagons, to have good quality control and support, but not at the price point many of these startup companies are selling bikes at.

fooferdoggie

It is possible for a smaller company, for example Watt Wagons, to have good quality control and support, but not at the price point many of these startup companies are selling bikes at.
yep they sue reliable parts too. Still don't know if I would buy from them since I cant ride the bike first.

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
yep they sue reliable parts too. Still don't know if I would buy from them since I cant ride the bike first.
Given how many miles you ride, you could probably safely buy a bike online. You know what frame geometries work for you and could use the published frame specs to determine if the bike would be a good fit. That isn't true for someone who hasn't ridden a bike in years. They are better off buying a bike from a place they can test ride it.

fooferdoggie

Given how many miles you ride, you could probably safely buy a bike online. You know what frame geometries work for you and could use the published frame specs to determine if the bike would be a good fit. That isn't true for someone who hasn't ridden a bike in years. They are better off buying a bike from a place they can test ride it.
but I don't I would have to find the info. but yes more so then most.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
big name bicycle manufacturers also use Chinese factories to make their frames
If "Taiwanese" meant "of People's Republic of China" then you would be right. It is not the same though. Taiwan is the world's home of bikes and bike components. Perhaps you ride a crap made in People's Republic of China. I ride the Taiwanese.

Isn't Watt Wagon using motors made in People's Republic of China?!

fooferdoggie

If "Taiwanese" meant "of People's Republic of China" then you would be right. It is not the same though. Taiwan is the world's home of bikes and bike components. Perhaps you ride a crap made in People's Republic of China. I ride the Taiwanese.

Isn't Watt Wagon using motors made in People's Republic of China?!
my bike was built there even though its a German bike.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
my bike was built there even though its a German bike.
My Vado is American/Swiss, proudly made in Taiwan, with the motor from Berlin/Germany. My Trance E+ has been made in Taiwan with a Japanese motor. RFtH was mentioning big brands. I don't know bigger brands than these two, Trek being of similar size, Cannondale the fourth.