Brakes/Pads - RadWagon

pearlbeer

I'm over 1,100 (lovely) miles on the RadWagon, so it's time for a new set of brake pads. Thinking I may just upgrade the calipers while I'm at it - any good suggestions? I do want to stick with mechanical brakes. Actually, while I'm at it, my shifter is sticking, so may be time to upgrade the derailleur as well...again suggestions welcome.

BKing

It’s probably the shifter cable inside the sheathing causing the issue. Or the shifter. The derailleur has a tough spring in it that works fine unless you have bent something.

ExPatBrit

I'm over 1,100 (lovely) miles on the RadWagon, so it's time for a new set of brake pads. Thinking I may just upgrade the calipers while I'm at it - any good suggestions? I do want to stick with mechanical brakes. Actually, while I'm at it, my shifter is sticking, so may be time to upgrade the derailleur as well...again suggestions welcome.
The hybrid Juintech Hydraulic / mechanical calipers from Bolton are actually pretty good. They use a commonly available Shimano pad.
Took about 15 mins to install.

I had some on my Rover, worked very well.

Timpo

I would recommend full hydraulic like Shimano, rather than cable activated hydraulic caliper like Juin Tech.
Shimano full hydraulic isn't any expensive, if not cheaper.
The only thing is, you will have to get a new brake hose for RadWagon, especially for rear brake, but other than that, full hydraulic all the way.

ExPatBrit

I bought the Juintechs in Bolton Dec holiday sale for $99, they were better than expected once they “bedded in”.

Definitely better on the Rover than the stock mechanical Tektros which I felt were not adequate.

Timpo

I bought the Juintechs in Bolton Dec holiday sale for $99, they were better than expected once they “bedded in”.

Definitely better on the Rover than the stock mechanical Tektros which I felt were not adequate.
I don't have an experience with JuinTech because I just went with full hydraulic, but I was under the impression JuinTech is only slightly better than stock, at least according to this video. :oops:

ExPatBrit

They were not great initially but after about 50-100 miles of bedding in they were much better. The guy in the video hadn’t done that. That explains why they felt how they did.

Anyone who has replaced disc pads on a vehicle knows this. Done that job at least 40 times on multiple vehicles. They always feel unresponsive at first.

The mechanical Tektros only move the outer pad when you brake, so uneven brake wear on the pads. The disc actually distorts slightly when brakes are applied. That’s why they needed frequent adjustment

On the Juintech both pads move and squeeze the disc with equal pressure.