California E-bike laws, can they be ridden in State Parks?

Rogie

Hello, I live in Northern California and live next to a great walking/hiking/biking trail aptly named Sawyer Camp Trails in the city of San Bruno. I would like to know if any members have ridden their e-bike at this State Park. I am reluctant to take my e-bike here as there is a posted sign at the beginning of the trail that states motorized vehicles are not allowed to be ridden. I tried to research the California E-bike law but it’s not quite clear from what I read so far.

Thank you for reading.

AleksR

Hello, I live in Northern California and live next to a great walking/hiking/biking trail aptly named Sawyer Camp Trails in the city of San Bruno. I would like to know if any members have ridden their e-bike at this State Park. I am reluctant to take my e-bike here as there is a posted sign at the beginning of the trail that states motorized vehicles are not allowed to be ridden. I tried to research the California E-bike law but it’s not quite clear from what I read so far.

Thank you for reading.
I ride my class 3 ebike anywhere I want in Northern California and no one has ever said anything. I think that no one will ask any questions unless you are running over people.

CastroSF

I ride my class 3 ebike anywhere I want in Northern California and no one has ever said anything. I think that no one will ask any questions unless you are running over people.
I like that trail but it can be busy. I think you just keep the speed down and be kind it’s not an issue.

Rin

Sawyer Camp Trail is not a state park, it is part of San Mateo County Parks so you would have to know their policy on ebikes.

MikeDD

I ride the single track on the Oroville Dam State Park trails. I have discussed e-bikes with the Park Ranger, he was considering getting one. He didn't have a problem with my bike, but if I didn't buy a day pass he would ticket me. Bikes can ride into the park free, but cars have to pay.

drewberz

Thank you for reading.
Sawyer Camp Trail is a paved trail and it allows Class 1 and Class 2 bikes. My opinion is if you are riding prudently, the maximum capable speed is irrelevant. You can be wreckless at 10mph...

See the chart on Attachment 2 on page 16 for what's allowed in the area.