CCX log after 2 years & 15,000+ miles & melted connectors today.

youth

Just got my RC-S and the first thing I did was coat those terminals with silicone dielectric. My opinion is that 52 Volts is sufficient to cause sparking if the battery is jostling. If I were doing much off asphalt riding I would also wrap the battery with an Ace Velcro wrist brace, which I do on my R1U 700. Time will tell if there's any benefit to this precaution. BTW, your record keeping is awesome

Defintely using dielectric grease this time if I can get it fixed. Just never bother using it because it's been working all this time & the battery seemed secured.

Youth. Same thing happened to my CCS. I bought the parts from reention. The one on the frame is plug and play. You have to open the battery and solder the other connector though. Take pictures. Watch a few YouTube videos on soldering. Be careful not to arc flash, as I did! After I soldered mine I had a friend at radio shack check it out. It worked, but I ultimately bought a replacement battery on eBay and converted the ends to Anderson connectors. I use the juiced battery on a DIY recumbent. Has the juiced battery lost some of its umph yet?

youth

Youth. Same thing happened to my CCS. I bought the parts from reention. The one on the frame is plug and play. You have to open the battery and solder the other connector though. Take pictures. Watch a few YouTube videos on soldering. Be careful not to arc flash, as I did! After I soldered mine I had a friend at radio shack check it out. It worked, but I ultimately bought a replacement battery on eBay and converted the ends to Anderson connectors. I use the juiced battery on a DIY recumbent. Has the juiced battery lost some of its umph yet?

I'll probably buy them from Hilleater since I got my clutch from them before if the ones from my old CC battery don't work. I've been trying to keep the charge around 80% through these 2 years, but have been doing 95% this past fall/winter because it does feel like I've lost 15 to 20% capacity.

Asher

I know what you meant by "Honda of ebikes" was, you were probably referring to reliability (which Juiced lacks), but funny thing is, Juiced is selling more of Honda SuperCub type of ebikes, which indicated that Honda got it right well over half century ago.
Yeah, especially the feeling that you could have one vehicle and rely on it 100% without a second thought.

I have no way of proving this, but I can't help thinking that a commuter ebike is what you get if you want to do your life by bike, and a mini moped (scrambler/scorpion) when you want to have fun tooling around on the weekend. One replaces a car (trip). One doesnt. Tool vs toy. A step over bike is not for everyone, particularly people with injuries making pedaling or a saddle painful. But for healthy people, why else give up ~half your range, increase your weight and make locking up harder.

If there are two people chiming in already, it's plausible that this is a systemic issue, for a part that's at only half it's rated lifespan, if not less (15 wh/mi, 1 kwh, 500 cycles = 33k mi). Unethical and unacceptable, to not proactively and publicly address it.

BTW, if you're in California, you may be covered by lemon laws which require manufacturers selling any appliance for $100+ to sell you replacement parts within 7 years of purchase.

Bruce Arnold

I have no way of proving this, but I can't help thinking that a commuter ebike is what you get if you want to do your life by bike, and a mini moped (scrambler/scorpion) when you want to have fun tooling around on the weekend. One replaces a car (trip). One doesnt. Tool vs toy. A step over bike is not for everyone, particularly people with injuries making pedaling or a saddle painful. But for healthy people, why else give up ~half your range, increase your weight and make locking up harder.
Can't agree with this, Asher. While the "mopeds" are great fun for tooling around on, they also make an awesome bike for commuting and errands. Just not long commutes like @Chris Hammond.

Thinking about @youth's commute, 32 miles round trip -- you could definitely do the 16 miles on the HyperScorpion in the morning, and then 16 again at night. The seat is not so uncomfortable after 10 miles as to make it unrideable. Really, I should stop saying "10 miles." It's more like time in the saddle. If you put it in top gear and level 3, a 16-mile each-way trip would be very doable, coming in at about the same time in the saddle as I'm getting with 10 miles in 6th gear and PAS 1. With the 19 Ah battery, you wouldn't have to charge at work, either.

Locking up is not hard with the HS. Just different.

The step-over is exactly why I switched to the moped style over diamond frame. The arthritis in my knees made getting on and off the CCS harder with every year. It still had years of service left on it. The limiting factor was my mobility. Just another reason I love my HS -- I can get on and off without any of the trouble I had on the CCS.

The HS is definitely not a toy unless you want it to be. You should get a couple hundred miles on one before coming to such sweeping generalizations.

Achterbahn

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
Actually, the Juiced CCX is now $500 off, down to $2k. Feel like that's lower than I've ever seen it, and definitely competitive with the Ride1Up at $1800. Juiced does charge twice as much per wh for replacement batteries though, and then there are the reliability issues as above. Can't speak to Ride1Up's though.
Up until recently, LIZ100 got you $100 off on top of that. Before purchasing my Current, I strongly considered the CCX. At $1900, it's the lowest I've ever seen and good value on my book.

Timpo

Up until recently, LIZ100 got you $100 off on top of that. Before purchasing my Current, I strongly considered the CCX. At $1900, it's the lowest I've ever seen and good value on my book.
$1900?

I think you're talking about CCS2, not CCX.

But anyways, I don't think Juiced is best bang for buck. Not at all, not today.

The CCS2 will give you 52V 13Ah, but Ride1Up and Aventon have 48V 14Ah, so very similar Wh rating.

They're all 28mph Class 3 commuter, and you can definitely tell that CCS2 is outdated.

Also, Ride1Up and Aventon have rear rack and fender.

On top of that, they're offering it at much lower price point.

Achterbahn

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
$1900?

The CCS2 will give you 52V 13Ah, but Ride1Up and Aventon have 48V 14Ah, so very similar Wh rating.

They're all 28mph Class 3 commuter, and you can definitely tell that CCS2 is outdated.

Oh, sorry, my info isn't up to date. At least in the whole month of December the CCX (not CCS2) was $2k, reaching $1900 with that discount code. That price is now gone, after more than a month at that level, back to $2500.

Asher

$1900?

The CCS2 was $1599 for a time, and has a torque sensor. But if the battery goes bad halfway thru it's life and Juiced doesn't step in to help... It's all run like it's about to go out of business, with a very short term perspective and wildly gyrating prices bound to annoy those who buy when it's high.

Future offerings from Zen and Ride1Up may demolish Juiced in the commuter hybrid segment, whereupon Juiced simply drops the CCSes.

@highpockets @youth maybe you could talk to Micah Toll at Electrek and see if he'd be interested in running an article on these issues.

Last edited:

youth

Well I was able to swap parts from the small format CC battery & the wide format CCX battery & the bike is working again. The CC battery connector was slightly different in look & wire gauge to the CCX one, but fits ok. I just spliced the wires on the frame side & then spliced them as close to the connector as possible on the battery side. Then had to remove an inside o-ring to get enough electrical contact. I still do want oem replacements since they're wired with blade connectors on the battery side so easily swappable & I know my soldering job was bad. Juiced's reply was to say that I invalidated my warranty that technically expired anyway by opening the battery. No reply yet if they're willing or able to sell me the pre-wired connectors.

20210103_211614.jpg

Asher

Well I was able to swap parts from the small format CC battery & the wide format CCX battery & the bike is working again. The CC battery connector was slightly different in look & wire gauge to the CCX one, but fits ok. I just spliced the wires on the frame side & then spliced them as close to the connector as possible on the battery side. Then had to remove an inside o-ring to get enough electrical contact. I still do want oem replacements since they're wired with blade connectors on the battery side so easily swappable & I know my soldering job was bad. Juiced's reply was to say that I invalidated my warranty that technically expired anyway by opening the battery. No reply yet if they're willing or able to sell me the pre-wired connectors.

View attachment 76217
But you didn't open it until it failed, AND the electronics warranty only lasts a year anyway.

youth

But you didn't open it until it failed, AND the electronics warranty only lasts a year anyway.

I can see where they're coming from if it was technically under warranty since a customer could potentially cause further unknown damage by opening the battery. The fact that they offering warranty service beyond their terms does make me wonder if they know this is an issue.

They are offerring to repair it now for a fee whereas before they just referred me to a 3rd party battery repair company.

AdamT

Region
USA
$1900?

Having just done a lot of research, I ended up purchasing a CCX for myself and an Aventon Level for my wife, because she wanted a step-through. IMHO the CCX still represents a good value. It has more battery and power than the Aventon, better tires, comes with lighting, and most importantly for me -- a torque sensor and not just a cadence sensor. There are very few bikes with torque sensors in the CCX's price range. The other main bike I was looking at was the Priority Current, which is a superior machine but also over $1,000 richer when fully equipped.

Asher

I can see where they're coming from if it was technically under warranty since a customer could potentially cause further unknown damage by opening the battery. The fact that they offering warranty service beyond their terms does make me wonder if they know this is an issue.

They are offerring to repair it now for a fee whereas before they just referred me to a 3rd party battery repair company.

Invalidating a warranty because someone opened the case is probably illegal:

Timpo

Having just done a lot of research, I ended up purchasing a CCX for myself and an Aventon Level for my wife, because she wanted a step-through. IMHO the CCX still represents a good value. It has more battery and power than the Aventon, better tires, comes with lighting, and most importantly for me -- a torque sensor and not just a cadence sensor. There are very few bikes with torque sensors in the CCX's price range. The other main bike I was looking at was the Priority Current, which is a superior machine but also over $1,000 richer when fully equipped.
Looks like CCS2 is on sale right now, at that price, CCS2 may not be a bad deal :) especially with someone who wants a torque sensor.

Ebiker01

You guys are still stuck with the cheap ebikes. They only bring additional expenses and headaches. Trust me, I was on this exact road 2015-2016...Imo If i had no choice I would go with Aventon / Rad or Magnum , sell it after 6months of savings due to riding the ebike (The assumptions is that the ebike will work for the whole six months) and buy a proper ebike- Yamaha would be a great one, starts at 3k maybe 3.5k ?

Dunbar

My Cross Current is approaching 5 years old and 22k+ miles. If you can’t work on your own bike and source spare parts I would not recommend buying online only e-bike. Better to buy through a dealer (+ pay that premium) and let them handle the repairs for you.

Ebiker01

My Cross Current is approaching 5 years old and 22k+ miles. If you can’t work on your own bike and source spare parts I would not recommend buying online only e-bike. Better to buy through a dealer (+ pay that premium) and let them handle the repairs for you.

All new ebikers should read and obey your message !

john peck

You guys are still stuck with the cheap ebikes. They only bring additional expenses and headaches. Trust me, I was on this exact road 2015-2016...Imo If i had no choice I would go with Aventon / Rad or Magnum , sell it after 6months of savings due to riding the ebike (The assumptions is that the ebike will work for the whole six months) and buy a proper ebike- Yamaha would be a great one, starts at 3k maybe 3.5k ?
My cheap ebike is holding up way better than my damn CCS parts bike which cost more than twice as much!!

john peck

My CCS is now a parts bike; lasted 3 years if you don´t count 4 mos. of down time. I would never buy
so much as a lock washer from Juiced again!