Chain lube?

Gordoh

Is there a consensus as to the best bicycle chain lubricant? I found that, on my chain drive motorcycles, gear oil 80w-90 worked. Would it also work on a modern bicycle chain? My 45 year old CCM has survived on gear oil also. Since I've order the Rad Rover I am trying to get up to speed as my last motorcycle was shaft drive and did not require chain lube... Thanks.

fooferdoggie

depends on how often you want to clean the chain and how often you maintain it. I don't want a lot of crap on the chain so a more dry lube is in order. been using rock and roll lube it does not seem to attract much gunk and will do several rain runs.

christob

In a word, no; there is no consensus I've ever found. ;)
Seriously, there are many threads posted here over the years, offering many different recommendations, "swear by this" testimonials, personal experiences both good & bad, etc. Just like "What's the best ebike out there?" - there is no single, right answer...
{My personal input - I use Rock n Roll Gold as well (rear-hub drive here) but I don't fuss much with my chain at all; perhaps a couple cleanings a year; last chain went about 6,500 miles before showing slight stretch, but no wear on cassette.}

fooferdoggie

finish line dry sure does not hold up in the rain. maybe a hour or so. the rock and roll gold got me 3 to 4 hours. I have their blue coming today to test. the finish line wet holds up but attracts a lot of gunk.

sl_duck

Tri-flow is my lube of choice. I used to switch to dry lube in the summer when it's dusty out, but I don't bother anymore. I just apply the tri-flow while rotating the crank backward whenever I rinse the bike off.

FlatSix911

Tri-flow is my lube of choice. I used to switch to dry lube in the summer when it's dusty out, but I don't bother anymore. I just apply the tri-flow while rotating the crank backward whenever I rinse the bike off.
I second the choice of Tri-Flow... good coverage, long lasting and inexpensive. ;)

Gordoh

Has anyone here ever used gear oil as a chain lube? Good or bad results? I used to change the gear oil (80W-90) in my old Beemer's gear-box, rear-end and drive shaft and now have about 6 litres of the stuff and no Beemer, so I was considering using it on my new Rad Rover's chain... Bad idea?

fooferdoggie

Has anyone here ever used gear oil as a chain lube? Good or bad results? I used to change the gear oil (80W-90) in my old Beemer's gear-box, rear-end and drive shaft and now have about 6 litres of the stuff and no Beemer, so I was considering using it on my new Rad Rover's chain... Bad idea?
its oil it would work but will make a mess of your drive chain and attract dirt. overall it will create more work then anything else.

Gordoh

Thanks, Fooferdoggie…. I do remember the old Kawi KLR 250 chain was a bit messy and labour intensive to clean and relube with the gear oil... Rock n Roll it is!

Browneye

WD40 to clean it, then triflow and wipe down.
We've been using WD for MC chains for a bazillion years, but a more hi-tack grease or wax type chain lube to prevent fling. Some roadbikes used a drip-type 'oiler'.
There were plenty of hardcore riders that didn't believe in doing anything for an o-ring chain - and they got nearly the mileage, but then when a MC gets a new chain it gets new sprockets too.

Triflow is cheap and works great. Surely there are some fancy new-fangled lubes for lots of $$ that do the same thing.

Anything with a solvent that dries and is more wax-based has less adhesion for dust, but you pay for that technology. 😁

steve mercier

@steve mercier -- do you reapply every 4-6 riding hours? Or can you go further between lubes?
HI , yes I put it on about every 75-150 km but I tend to believe in erring on the side of over- lubing rather than under- lubing, so you could probably go longer between applications. I really like this product because I do not need to use my giant can of WD40 any more. I just hose off the bike chain when I get back from a ride. Then I let it dry it off and apply the Squirt. With Squirt I notice that much less muck and sand sticks to the chain than with other products such as Finish line or Triflow (especially the wet versions) after a wet gritty trail ride. Also I live half a block from a fish bearing river so I am glad to use this greener( biodegradeable and solvent free ) method. I no longer feel the need to use my Park tool chain scrubber at all!

Last edited:

Litehiker

Good replies here. I've been using FINISH LINE TEFLON DRY LUBE and it works very well for Nevada's dusty conditions.

Eric B.