Chainring on RipCurrent S

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I went over a log and bent the chainring last week. :mad: I checked the crank runout and it was good no issues. I ordered a new crank set from Juiced today and will install it unless I can get a lower number tooth chainring installed. I have been struggling on the up hill side of some climbs. 20ft climbs in first gear and Assist set to L2 just barely gets it done. I ordered a replacement chainring and hope it works to get me the climbing power needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5RWZXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll have to shorten the chain too.

Last edited:

PedalUma

Region
USA
Check the BCD. Looks like 130mm/Five bolt. Get a KMC X8 chain because you bashed the old one. It also looks like a 42-t chainring. You can get a 36-t chainring from EBay. Sheldon Brown has a gear calculator.

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I ordered a PASS QUEST 130BCD Narrow Wide Chainring/Chain Ring (Round, 48T)

I ordered a KMC e9 EPT 1/2" x 11/128" (narrow) chain.

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I installed the 48 tooth chainring today and while assembling I figured out I need to change the spacer. The stock spacer is 5mm and the thicker chainring needs a thinner spacer. I ordered 3.5mm spacers which will fix the issue. I have not changed the chain or removed any links. I checked the chain and it is not stretched.

IMG_6770.JPG

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
Spacers arrived. Installed and working great. Due to the smaller chainring the derailleur is now 3/4" farther back. Next will be to shorten the chain by 1 link to bring it back to stock tension.

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6788.JPG

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
Update on the 48 tooth chainring. It does require me to pedal faster than before. I tested the same drop and was able to make it out the other side with just enough speed. I am now starting to use gears that I would have skipped before. The bike still does 30mph with pedaling.