Charger question - feedback

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
There are a lot of E-bike chargers varying in price and quality.
There are chargers that cost $320 and there are chargers that cost $40 and everything in between.
I wanted to know if any of you have used Luna Smart Charger and if you care to share your experience, I would be eager to learn more.
Also, what feature you value the most in a charger?
Is it fast charging or smart charging, please do share !

1640892428778.png

Timpo

There are a lot of E-bike chargers varying in price and quality.
There are chargers that cost $320 and there are chargers that cost $40 and everything in between.
I wanted to know if any of you have used Luna Smart Charger and if you care to share your experience, I would be eager to learn more.

View attachment 110556
No I have not used that Luna charger, but I have used the charger from AliExpress, which looks very similar to that one and I have been happy with it.
It doesn't come with display and adjustability like Luna does though.

Also, I know Grin Satiator is a good charger (if that's what you meant by $320 charger), but can someone explain why Stromer charger cost $349 ?
Is Stromer charger that good? What's so special about it?
CHARGERS

opimax

I have a charger that does 2-4-6-8-10 amp charging along with 80-90-100 % and I have a charger that does 4 amp only 100%. The one I use the most by far is the quiet one , the 4 amp. I would do some 90% 2 amp as my normal if it was quiet. I have 2 of each chargers for currently 5 batteries although mainly 3 at a time. I use 2 of the quiet ones and charge 3 batteries 2 at a time And then the 3rd battery before I sleep.

it is nice to have fast charging the few times I have needed it but it is rare currently. I can’t remember the last time I charged while actually out on my bike. I prefer to carry extra batteries on trips. If/when I start traveling on my bike I will use fast charging i am sure.

Last edited:

tomjasz

One charger for all my batteries. 36v, 48v, and 52V
Being able to set whatever percentage I want and data tracking to follow battery usage and lifespan. I have an early Satiator, a 72V(sold), and the latest 63V max version.

I rarely use the 5A-8A but it's nice when it's urgent to top off. Typically I charge at 1A. Three new batteries will allow me to charge long and slow.

I have several older Luna chargers and they both died within months. I do also have 3-4 liitokala fanless cheap chargers I use outdoors occasionally in the warm weather.

Currently on sale! The price has gone up. Probably the last chance at this price. $269 delivered.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 2.10.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 2.10.46 PM.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 10

Timpo

One charger for all my batteries. 36v, 48v, and 52V
Being able to set whatever percentage I want and data tracking to follow battery usage and lifespan. I have an early Satiator, a 72V(sold), and the latest 63V max version.

I rarely use the 5A-8A but it's nice when it's urgent to top off. Typically I charge at 1A. Three new batteries will allow me to charge long and slow.

I have several older Luna chargers and they both died within months. I do also have 3-4 liitokala fanless cheap chargers I use outdoors occasionally in the warm weather.

Currently on sale! The price has gone up. Probably the last chance at this price. $269 delivered.
If anyone wants a 72V Satiator charger, HillEater has on in stock.

$397 Canadian

Timpo

it's on sale. That's not a great price! $324 CA, shipping $20 or a bit less.
SubtotalUSD$339.00
Discount (Christmas 25% Off Satiator Promo)-USD$84.75
Order Total Incl. TaxUSD$254.25
Order Total Excl. TaxUSD$254.25
No, it's not.
But I was saying that, if Grin does not have 72V in stock, at least there's an option.

George S.

If the sun is out, and it's fairly warm, I use a Boost MPPT solar charger that comes out of China. You can set the voltage, so you don't have to do a full charge. I use 56v for my LFP packs, 53 for the standard cells. I have a couple of these units. Some were $30. They will handle 300 watts, but it you want to slow charge just hook up fewer panels. In the winter I use this converter from Amazon. I set the voltage I want, and the amps. It needs a heat sink for big amps, but the ones I looked at were as much as the module. So I set it for 70 watts. I hook it to my 140 amp hour LFP set, 12v from ancient CALB cells. Probably from some bus somewhere. I don't know why people don't know how you charge lith cells, the whole CC-CV 4.2V thing. It's nuts. Charge from power supplies, charge from cheap lithium packs, whatever. Some of these prices are nuts.

20211115_102037.jpg

tomjasz

if Grin does not have 72V in stock
They are available. The 2nds sold out. 25% off until the 31st.
If anyone wants a 72V Satiator charger, HillEater has on in stock.

$397 Canadian ($311.61 USD) C$444.64 with tax in CA.
it's on sale. That's not a great price! $324 CA, shipping $20 or a bit less. From Grin.
SubtotalUSD$339.00
Discount (Christmas 25% Off Satiator Promo)-USD$84.75
Order Total Incl. TaxUSD$254.25
Order Total Excl. TaxUSD$254.25

What do you mean by that?
Are they available or sold out?
Sheesh, 2nds were $200 they are sold out. They had waterproofing issues.
But the fully functional is still on sale. See their pages.

Some of these prices are nuts.
Fortunately the unwashed don't go this route. Using Meanwell high-quality power supplies, as you know, is quite common. But I dare say not suitable for most here.

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Along with our batteries, we also plan to warranty our chargers for 3 years.
So, we are carefully evaluating the market.
I think there is a need for a high-quality charger that will work reliably for 5+ years. Something that is quiet with adjustable voltage and current.

Timpo

Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Along with our batteries, we also plan to warranty our chargers for 3 years.
So, we are carefully evaluating the market.
I think there is a need for a high-quality charger that will work reliably for 5+ years. Something that is quiet with adjustable voltage and current.
Why don't you just sell Grin Satiator?
You can sell generic chargers from AliExpress or Alibaba chargers, which is fine.

But Juiced Bikes, HillEater, and I'm sure other ebike companies sell Satiator charger.

Timpo

If you want to build your own version of Grin Satiator, it's been done.

But if I were you, I'd rather just sell Grin Satiator that's already been proven on market.

Solarcabin

Region
USA
There are some dangers with fast charging and it results in higher temp and more likely to cause a burn out and fire.

In General a 2-3 amp charger will charge fast enough for most users and not over heat the battery,

I have 3 ebikes and charge from a 400 watt off grid solar system with a 500 watt inverter.

I only charge when I am around to watch the battery in case of a fire and I prefer to charge outside when possible.

If someone finds those explosion proof bags at a reasonable price I would get one of those and put the battery inside when charging.

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Why don't you just sell Grin Satiator?
You can sell generic chargers from AliExpress or Alibaba chargers, which is fine.

But Juiced Bikes, HillEater, and I'm sure other ebike companies sell Satiator charger.

We are looking to sell a high-quality charger for $149 and offer a 3-year warranty.
We don't want it to cost any more than $150. I think that is a sweet middle ground.
$40 chargers are not rugged enough to be used in varied conditions. $300 chargers serve only a small % of the market. A good example is yourself. You have not bought the $320 charger because you are happy with what you got for $50.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
I personally charge the battery on the bike outside or in the garage, so not interested in an expensive charger that's just another thing to need to lock up.

Timpo

We are looking to sell a high-quality charger for $149 and offer a 3-year warranty.
We don't want it to cost any more than $150. I think that is a sweet middle ground.
$40 chargers are not rugged enough to be used in varied conditions. $300 chargers serve only a small % of the market. A good example is yourself. You have not bought the $320 charger because you are happy with what you got for $50.
Okay I see what you mean.
$300+ is prohibitively expensive for me (and I bet most people).

But what are you offering for $150, other than 3 year warranty?
Because when I hear the price $150, I automatically think that's equivalent of 3 chargers from AliExpress, which does the job fine for most people. 🤔
Ebike Charging; Fast or Slow? | ELECTRICBIKE.COM

But if you're producing more budget friendly version of Grin Satiator, based on Mean Well CLG-150-48A or similar, I think there might be a good market.
Something like HLG-480H-54A is (or might be) over $150, so I don't know how much lower you can go..

theemartymac

I bought the Luna charger you pictured (Grin Satiator was backordered when I tried to order one), and like it a lot. 1.5 yrs use with many dozens of cycles and no issues, although I have read that reliability can vary. It has the right basic features for me in that it has the 80/90/100% selector, amp output choice for rate of charge, and a little LED that gives basic voltage, etc.. I still would like to grab a GRIN at some point as I'm techy and would like to have the history, etc.

I'd also like to see a "travel" sized fanless charger that is tiny and light to take with me for say 3amp top ups on the road.

The perfect charger for me would have all that, and be useful on multiple batteries from 36-60v with just another selector. Maybe even with dual battery outputs for smart charging 2 at a time. I have one of those for my 12V AGM boat batteries (Pro Mariner) for my trolling motors, and it's nice to have one unit mounted on the wall that does 3x 6v-24v in all battery types. As a guy with multiple bikes, I'd appreciate that type of unit as well....

Last edited:

Timpo

I bought the Luna charger you pictured (Grin Satiator was backordered when I tried to order one), and like it a lot. 1.5 yrs use with many dozens of cycles and no issues, although I have read that reliability can vary. It has the right basic features for me in that it has the 80/90/100% selector, amp output choice for rate of charge, and a little LED that gives basic voltage, etc.. I still would like to grab a GRIN at some point as I'm techy and would like to have the history, etc.

I'd also like to see a "travel" sized fanless charger that is tiny and light to take with me for say 3amp top ups on the road.

The perfect charger for me would have all that, and be useful on multiple batteries from 36-60v with just another selector. Maybe even with dual battery outputs for smart charging 2 at a time. I have one of those for my 12V AGM boat batteries (Pro Mariner) for my trolling motors, and it's nice to have one unit mounted on the wall that does 3x 6v-24v in all battery types. As a guy with multiple bikes, I'd appreciate that type of unit as well....
Oh yeah travel size charger would be nice.

I have this one, one of the lightest chargers out there. It's not a fanless, but it gets the job done.

This one also seems to nice.

I wish there was a smaller and lighter charger available.
In addition, ideally I think travel charger should be reasonably powerful as you might want to recharge your battery as soon as possible.

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
But what are you offering for $150, other than 3 year warranty?

One could change the voltage and current just like any programmable charger.
Also, it would be fanless (some of these fan chargers are obnoxiously loud). Overall a very sturdy design that would last many years.
Currently, we are exploring features like an LCD panel and bluetooth connectivity.