Chicago's Mayor does not want you or your business !

Mike's E-Bikes

If you are on her list of 22 states, and you are a Chicago resident who visited one of those 22 states, you will need to QUARANTINE for 2 weeks when you come back. Your business trip just got very lengthy and very expensive. Your short 'vacation', visiting family or friends, has essentially become a non-starter too. You can't go back to work for 2 weeks right after you return. Oh, your boss is just gonna 'love' that.

So imagine if EVERY single large city in America adopted this same policy, and chose any 22 states (or more since Mayor Lightfoot keeps adding more weekly) to force quarantine policy on visitors from their chosen hit list of states, what would happen to economic commerce in the US.

Do you think the entire country would just freeze up economically ? 62 million had no paycheck last week. https://www.thestreet.com/mishtalk/economics/over-62-million-people-had-no-pay-last-week.

So that 62 million would probably double nearly overnight, if every major city mayor adopted Chicago's quarantine policy.

Last edited:

Mike's E-Bikes

And right now the 'Squeeze Index' is the highest its been on the Nazdaq, since the market crash back in 2000. It wouldn't have anything at all to do with mayor and governor policy reaction to Covid 19, now would it ? Nah, couldn't be.

Mike's E-Bikes

I have no interest in visiting Chicago anytime soon. 😉
And less than 10% of Chicago office workers, that used to commute to 262 high rise buildings in Downtown Chicago everyday, are returning back there right now either. That only represents a mere 118 million rentable square feet , 90% of which is going unoccupied (but largely still being payed for) right now. The upside (for those who dare to travel there) is less traffic right now going into downtown Chicago each morning, or coming back each evening. Lease negotiations are going to be distastrous for building owners for the foreseable future. Numerous downtown Chicago businesses that relied on all these workers for their daily business are being impacted severely as well, if they haven't already completely closed up shop. Very little of this is being reported in the Chicago news. P.S. McDonald's decision to relocate its Global Headquarters last year from fairly 'pristine' and very wooded and spread out campus in Oak Brook, to right smack dab in downtown Chicago, could not have been worse timing IMHO. Right at the peak of influx of millenials wanting to live in Chicago, before what will likely be a major and long term exodus of millenials back to relatively safer suburbs. In fact local realtors have already reported significant increases of these people seeking homes here in our suburban city (and others nearby) , unlike anything they have ever seen previously from young college degree high tech workers who are (were?) living in downtown Chicago. That is reversing about a 10 to 15 year recent trend of former young suburbanites who were in mom and dads home, wanting to live in downtown Chicago to work for and live near Google, Uber, Linked-In, etc etc Chicago based offices in those same high rises. Formerly jam packed elevators going up and down every few minutes in buildings that range from 20 stories to over 100 stories, now mostly empty. (as reported by building chief facility managers at these same Chicago high rises that are former customers of mine from my corporate years, that I stay in touch with.)

Last edited:

BET

Several places/states have policies that require quarantine for 14 days if you come from or traveled to a virus hot spot. NY, NJ, Conn., Hawaii and Maine come to mind, Some have an exception if you have proof of a recent negative covid test. In Hawaii they have arrested people for violating the quarantine. This is a public health crisis. 150,000 people have died. Anyway, why are you ranting about this on an EBR forum ? Not really an electric bike related issue. Maybe take it to Facebook or twitter.

BET

Off topic or not, I did not think this forum was designed for political rants and attacks on leaders trying to prevent a pandemic health crisis from getting worse. What is next --A rant about masks ? And it`s "she"

GenXrider

Is the mayor a major? One of the early retirement forums I read gets really bad with the political rants in the off-topic section, and they seep into the general section threads sometimes as well. I generally try to avoid them and resist wasting my time engaging.

PatriciaK

Off topic or not, I did not think this forum was designed for political rants and attacks on leaders trying to prevent a pandemic health crisis from getting worse. What is next --A rant about masks ? And it`s "she"
If there weren't so many maskholes running around refusing to take rational precautions, no one would need to resort to extreme measures ;). That's my mask rant 😜.

PatriciaK

The only businesses dead people are going to support are morgues, and the businesses involved in the funeral industry. And, those customers do not repeat - they're one and done.

The only businesses extremely ill people are going to support are hospitals and the medical- industrial complex.

Temporarily quarantining people coming from high Covid locations to protect the people of Chicago sounds like a perfectly rational response to me.

Last edited:

Deacon Blues

Temporarily quarantining people coming from high Covid locations to protect the people of Chicago sounds like a perfectly rational response to me.
It sounds rational until you start to think about it. Think about what it will do to the many businesses that have employees who travel as part of their job. Think about truck drivers that live in Chicago and make deliveries outside of the Chicago area. They will all have to quarantine for 14 days EACH time they leave the city. This is shear lunacy.

Is the mayor's decision based on science, or just another use of force by a power hungry, fascist major.

PatriciaK

It sounds rational until you start to think about it. Think about what it will do to the many businesses that have employees who travel as part of their job. Think about truck drivers that live in Chicago and make deliveries outside of the Chicago area. They will all have to quarantine for 14 days EACH time they leave the city. This is shear lunacy.

Is the mayor's decision based on science, or just another use of force by a power hungry, fascist major.
Science.

Science has clearly proven that the virus doesn't care if you travel for business or drive a truck.

Science has clearly proven that when people refuse to wear masks, and refuse to social distance (they're probably not washing their hands, either), the virus goes crazy.

It's not the mayor's fault that total lack of intelligent leadership had caused the virus to explode - that's all on our power hungry fascist president, and his enabler party members at the national, state, and even local levels, and, of course, the people who refuse to do the simple things they need to do to stop the spread of the virus 😜.

Last edited: