Companies and ebike models that support or would facilitate upgrades - particularly with batteries or motors

kmccune

My approach has always been a bit different. I’ve always bought the best I could afford to do the job I needed it to, be it computers, cell phones, cameras, cars, etc.
Each has their purpose, their capability. I expect them to do their job and last and they generally do but “this too shall pass” applies to most everything eventually. It’s rare that I try any real upgrades other than firmware and I expect that and better batteries (other than consumables like tires & chains) to be the major updates in the long haul. Ultimately, when they can‘t do the job, I’ll attempt to fix or replace parts but this constant search/desire/need to “mod things” just isn’t in me. It generally means a lot less junk laying around my place and everything works correctly because I haven’t been tearing it apart to “improve” it!
One example is my old Silverado truck. It’s a truck, not a hot rod, not a custom, not an antique. I use it as a truck and as long as it’s maintained and maintainable, I’ll always keep it. But I’m not going to add a new sound system w/navigation, etc. or a supercharger (ok, maybe some day if I listen to my son-in-law long enough!😳) but you get the idea!
Get one of those belt driven superchargers, easy on the throttle though ,maybe that belt driven emotor booster will come to fruition, I was on the list,have not heard since.

kmccune

In Massachusetts we voted over 75% for a right-to-repair law, more states will be doing so as well i hope. This may affect bad manufacturers that won't sell parts, that's the hope. We'll see if has an impact.
"Yankee" ingenuity at its best, hope "Ol Virginny" will do the same, Daughter and Me wish to flee this "Nanny State".

MeDotOrg

The easiest upgrade will come with improvements in battery technology. Electrons flow out of a spigot, so the only thing that needs to change is the chemistry technology of the battery itself. Toyota is announcing a sold-state battery next year that promises 10 minute re-charge time. I don't think the technology will trickle down to bicycles for a year or two, but imagine going to a coffee shop for a meal and coming out with a re-charged battery.

reed scott

Just my two cents worth: The bigger more dominant the company .... the faster they will use 'innovation' to make you want to buy the latest and greatest and the sooner they will make parts non backwards compatible.

Stuart B

Just my two cents worth: The bigger more dominant the company .... the faster they will use 'innovation' to make you want to buy the latest and greatest and the sooner they will make parts non backwards compatible.
It just takes one company with a vision!...to bring the others in line.