Comparing Bosch to Shimano

dborosev

Region
Canada
I decided to post regarding my experience with both, and my search for a new ebike. The first ebike I ever tried was a Shimano steps drive. And several since. It was amazing. But I've been seeing a lot of Bosch drives lately, so I decided to take a bunch of various bikes out for test drives. Maybe they are more popular, and therefore better supported, or who knows. Worth looking at for sure.
What I found was that in every single case, the Shimano drive was far superior. Quiet, where the bosch sometimes made sound. Smooth as silk, where the bosch almost always felt like a "clunk" when stopping pedaling.
So for anyone looking for a new ebike I highly recommend trying a Shimao drive and doing the comparison yourself. For me, it was a no brainer.
Sure, a few of the high end Bosch drives are just fine, but bang for your buck, easy choice on the Shimano.

(As this is a Bosch forum, let the hate mail rain. But I'm hoping you just see this as the pure experience information it is meant as)

AlanDB

Region
USA
City
Iowa
Well, I love my Bosch powered Gazelle ebike, but I own some Shimano stock, so I hope everyone takes your advice!;)

Deacon Blues

i can't comment on Shimano motors, but I can say that I love my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3's Bosch Gen 4 motor.

McCorby

The biggest advantage for me is the ability to tune/adjust the motor characteristics on the Shimano using the eTube app. As far as I know, you can’t currently do this with Bosch. With the app, I also don’t need to go the dealer to update the motor, display, and battery software.

A54F3838-B1AC-402B-BB14-CE3B4843DBF6.png

fooferdoggie

it it would ne nice if you could change the levels you can if you buy the nyon. but I would only change the eco level or the difference been eco and tour there is too big of a jump.

McCorby

What I found was that in every single case, the Shimano drive was far superior. Quiet, where the bosch sometimes made sound.
While I’ll agree the Shimano 5000 and 6000 series are very quiet, I would say the more powerful 7000 and 8000 series are not known for being the quietest when compared to similar Bosch and Brose options. I can’t speak for the new EP8, as I’ve not had a chance to try one yet.

dborosev

Region
Canada
The biggest advantage for me is the ability to tune/adjust the motor characteristics on the Shimano using the eTube app. As far as I know, you can’t currently do this with Bosch. With the app, I also don’t need to go the dealer to update the motor, display, and battery software.

View attachment 78906
Wow this is great. I just bought my shimano today I'll give this a try.

Dallant

Region
USA
So where are you test riding all these ebikes? Which specific brands/models of ebikes are you testing? I see you rode a Trek Verve with an Active Line but what others? I’d be good to see the list and which ones you preferred (Shimano, of course) and why.

McCorby

So where are you test riding all these ebikes? Which specific brands/models of ebikes are you testing? I see you rode a Trek Verve with an Active Line but what others? I’d be good to see the list and which ones you preferred (Shimano, of course) and why.
Who are you asking?

Edit: never mind, I’m guessing you were asking the op.

Last edited: