Converting to Electronic Shifting

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I'm adding this info to the D1X shifter thread in case it helps others with a similar problem.

I've read elsewhere of D1X users having an issue with slow shifting. Archer has added a battery upgrade which boosts the voltage and increases shifting speed:

The $60 kit includes 3 L-Ion cells, which replace the original 2 cells, a 4 position charger and a new snazzy looking red battery door.

At this point, I'm not sure if the upgrade is worth the price. In my case, I was able to increase the shift speed by simply cleaning and lubing my derailleur. Keeping the chain & cassette clean also helps. Using this approach, I reduced the shift time to less than a second using the original batteries. Maybe not good enough for competitive cycling but certainly good enough for me.

PRO's
1 - The higher voltage reduces the shift time by an advertised 50%.
2 - The 4 position charger lets you charge the 3 shifter batteries, as well as the one in the remote, all at the same time. The old charger held only 2 batteries.

CON's
1 - At $60, the upgrade is fairly expensive.
2 - The operating time is reduced from 80 to 25 hours.

Personally, I only have to charge the original D1X batteries around 3 times per season. This would increase to 6 or 7 times with the new batteries and I would gain only a modest improvement in shift speed. Others however might find this a useful approach to solving slow shifting speed.

I haven't decided whether or not to give this upgrade a try. I'll post again if I do.

Deacon Blues

I thought about the battery upgrade, but like you I've decided to stay with the batteries that came with the kit.
I don't find the shifts that slow and I'm not usually in a riding situation where I need really quick shifting and I don't want to spend another $60, which would be $75 CAN for me, plus Canadian taxes.
What speed I would like to see increased is the time it takes for my main unit to recognize the remote shifter.

When you press down on your remote shifter to connect to the main unit do you do a quick jab, or do you hold the button down for a second or two?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I thought about the battery upgrade, but like you I've decided to stay with the batteries that came with the kit.
I don't find the shifts that slow and I'm not usually in a riding situation where I need really quick shifting and I don't want to spend another $60, which would be $75 CAN for me, plus Canadian taxes.
What speed I would like to see increased is the time it takes for my main unit to recognize the remote shifter.

When you press down on your remote shifter to connect to the main unit do you do a quick jab, or do you hold the button down for a second or two?
I usually hold one of the shift buttons down for about one second. I haven't tried a longer or shorter press so I don't know if it makes a difference. I do get unexpected results though if I forget to break the Bluetooth connection with my smartphone by selecting "Disable and Ride" on the Archer app.

I can see this upgrade being useful for extreme downhill or competitive road riders but it's of little benefit to me at this point.

Deacon Blues

I have a new ebike coming and the company offered to install an Archer kit with the Shimano 11 speed setup.
I declined. I like the Archer wireless shifter, but not enough to buy another one.