Copy from "Compare" forum, re Athens

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Hi,

F 5'4" 145
During this past week, I have asked many questions in these forums. I was considering and did purchase an EG Athens. This is my first e bike, so I was/am a newby. I have ridden the bike 2x, urban, but not in heavy taffic, ~ 14 total miles. My comments:

The bike had more power and response than I would have expected, from other's comments.
I only used the peddles in the first of 3 power levels, and had to coast often, in order to ride at an appropriate speed... no cars, city street.
I almost exclusively used gears 5, 6, and 7, for streets, 4 and 5 for moderate hills, with some throttle assist (my need)
My street is at the top of ~7% grade hill. I had been told that an Athens probably couldn't get up this hill, or would have much difficulty in attempting it.
I wanted to see how the trottle handle it: I started to slow by maybe 1/2 speed, about 1/2 way up, I started pedaling in the lowest power, and made it just fine. Not inching along, I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster.
Due to my own need, I used just the throttle for about the last 2 miles.
When I got home, all 4 of my battery lights were still on.

I didn't like the way it gears down. The lever that one needs to press with a thumb was tight, so I used the heel of my hand. Gearing up is a button, and works well.
The fork post has suspension, but not the seat post. I think all bikes should have some!

Last edited:

Lenny

Irene,
Let us know if we can help you pick the right bike.
Most of the E-bikes with 350W motor will have enough power to take you up 7% grade hill.
If you have neck, spine issues, we suggest you try something with adjustable stem like Easy Motion EVO Street or EVO City.

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Thanks,
I bought an Athens
That was my owners review

Irene,
Let us know if we can help you pick the right bike.
Most of the E-bikes with 350W motor will have enough power to take you up 7% grade hill.
If you have neck, spine issues, we suggest you try something with adjustable stem like Easy Motion EVO Street or EVO City.