Cost of an ebike manufactured in the USA

wings02

I would be interested to know what the cost of $1500 China manufactured ebike would be if a company like Ride1Up, Juiced, Sondors,etc decided to have them manufactured in the USA instead of China.

fooferdoggie

the only part for the most part that can be made here is the frame. there are some components but not really for e bikes. Now you can get a bike built in the us but then it is going to be a higher end bike. why would someone want to pay more for a bike with cheapish parts just because its bit in the us?

Timpo

I always wondered why American companies always use Japanese or Korean cells.
I'm sure some people wouldn't mind riding American powered ebikes.

Timpo

Americans can build electric motorcycles.. isn't Harley-Davidson electric motor produced by Mission Motors?? (I could be wrong)

J.R.

Region
USA
Americans can build electric motorcycles.. isn't Harley-Davidson electric motor produced by Mission Motors?? (I could be wrong)
Yes Mission does and the bike is manufactured 15 miles from me.

Timpo

Yes Mission does and the bike is manufactured 15 miles from me.
My point was that I don't think it would be overly difficult for them to build ebike motors.

American companies know how to build batteries and motors. And some of the most renown bicycle companies are in the US.

J.R.

Region
USA
My point was that I don't think it would be overly difficult for them to build ebike motors.

American companies know how to build batteries and motors. And some of the most renown bicycle companies are in the US.
Yes, I was agreeing with you.

ChezCheese:)

Region
USA
City
Kitsap Co, WA
Boeing seems to have some spare manufacturing capacity, given that they're discontinuing the 747 & cutting back on 787 Dreamliner production...

rich c

You can buy a Chinese electric car for $1,200. https://jalopnik.com/the-impressive-engineering-behind-the-cheapest-electric-1843922452
A Tesla Model 3 costs $38,000. Based on those two numbers, a $1,500 Chinese eBike would cost $47,500 made in America.
But really, how would any of us know what an American made eBike cost? Who would want to build a factory based on numbers of eBikes sold in America? European eBike companies are leaving the American market because everyone in America wants a 28mph throttle eBike that costs $1,500. The $5,000 market in America would hardly support any business!

BigNerd

Doesn't The Electric Bike Company build their ebikes in America? Their parts are global, and some customized to their specs... but they assemble in the US. There was some article on Electrek about that.

Timpo

Doesn't The Electric Bike Company build their ebikes in America? Their parts are global, and some customized to their specs... but they assemble in the US. There was some article on Electrek about that.
you mean this one

fooferdoggie

because Americans are cheap and bikes are looked at as toys and e bikes more so. just look at all the cheap e bikes sold. no way would they sell that much if the price was 2k or more for the same thing.

J.R.

Region
USA
The Livewire motor is not manufactured by Mission Motors. I’m pretty sure they went out of business in 2015.
You could very well be correct. When the LiveWire was in the planning stage 6 years ago, I thought Mission was listed in the yearly stock report. I've read so much about the bike I may have read it in an article. I like the bike a lot. I own a full dresser and I'd like to get something smaller to putt around. The LiveWire is just too expensive for what it is.

Timpo

because Americans are cheap and bikes are looked at as toys and e bikes more so. just look at all the cheap e bikes sold. no way would they sell that much if the price was 2k or more for the same thing.
Panasonic batteries are Made in Japan. (including ebike 18650 batteries)
Just like Made in USA, Made in Japan isn't known for cheap.

America has so many Lithium ion battery manufactures, and some already have produced 18650 batteries.

Rayovac, Energizer, Interstate, Duracell, AC Delco, to name a few.

In addition, America can make electric motors.
Japan can make electric bike motors, Yamaha, Panasonic, Sunstar, Shimano, Bridgestone, Hitachi, Sanyo, etc.

There are American companies that are capable of producing ebike motors..
Emerson, General Electric, AC Delco, and I'm sure I've missed quite a few.

Although I am not sure about 2k price tag, would Made in USA ebikes can be produced at similar price to Japanese ebikes that are $5k to $6k?

Panasonic XM-D2
XM-D2 Vイメージ

Yamaha YDX Moro Pro
yamaha-ydx-moro.jpg

pxpaulx

It simply boils down to cost, infrastructure and competition. The Chinese, German, Japanese (to name a few) already created the market before ebikes were on the map here - as a result they have the manufacturing capability to build at scale and low cost, and provide those motors ready for use to the bike manufacturers. What incentive does an American based company have to attempt building a bike from scratch over digging through some shenzhen parts bin distributor that will put a bike together for a couple hundred bucks and ship it to them across the ocean at a cost-per-unit where significant profit can be made? Clearly Americans are happy with the notion that 'buying American' means buying something assembled in the US, regardless of part sourcing (just look at the auto industry!). Until ebikes become a notable % of every day transportation (and that is a long way off), nobody would dream of manufacturing ebikes from start to finish in the US.

Timpo

Let's take Vintage Electric for example.
They make everything by themselves.
Frame is made in USA, battery case is made in USA (they do not use Reention or Hailong)
The brakes, derailleur, anything that Shimano makes can be replaced with Sram.

I think what's NOT made in USA are the batteries, motor, display,.. pretty much everything electronic.
What would happen if they replace the batteries with Interstate 18650 lithium ion?
Also.. although not American, ASI (Canadian) makes motor as well.
It might give better impression than Chinese motors.
Vintage Electric Shelby Cobra Roadster Electric Bike

rich c

Let's take Vintage Electric for example.
They make everything by themselves.
Frame is made in USA, battery case is made in USA (they do not use Reention or Hailong)
The brakes, derailleur, anything that Shimano makes can be replaced with Sram.

I think what's NOT made in USA are the batteries, motor, display,.. pretty much everything electronic.
What would happen if they replace the batteries with Interstate 18650 lithium ion?
Also.. although not American, ASI (Canadian) makes motor as well.
It might give better impression than Chinese motors.
Vintage Electric Shelby Cobra Roadster Electric Bike
Are the tires, wheels, tubes, spokes, nipples, axles, bearings, pedals, cranks, chainring, handlebar, grips, headlight, and taillight made in USA?