Decisions decisions... Feedback on the best ebike for my use :)

nufo

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks in advance. I've already learned quite a bit from the forum and look forward to gaining much more knowledge on the ebike journey. So for background: I had an NCM Moscow for about 6 months but unfortunately, an accident with a hit-and-run driver has that bike out of commission. I liked the NCM Moscow but for my riding, I think another bike may be better suited. I have a 6 mile commute (12 mile round trip) on city streets in Chicago... there can be some rough roads and plenty of potholes but mostly flat. With my Moscow, I still rode in the very cold months even with light snow and rain. I maintained the bike well and kept the chain as clean and lubed as possible but there was still some rust. In my search for a new bike, I've come across:

1) Espin Aero: Great deal going on right now! I was hoping for a belt drive since it would likely hold up better with the weather and I like the almost no maintenance. However, no throttle, battery is smaller, cadence sensor, and range likely only ~20-25miles.
2) Roadster V2: Belt drive! No throttle, battery is smaller, cadence sensor, and range likely only ~20 miles. Thinner tires than Aero (Gravel Edition has larger tires though).
3) Rize Fixie: Belt drive, throttle, possibly longer range. But still, cadence sensor and slightly thinner tires than the Aero.

I am hoping to stay at around $1.5k if possible. Are there any suggestions for something with a belt drive, torque sensor (I've ridden both torque and cadence and much prefer torque), and decent range (25-30miles)? Pluses would be a throttle (helps when riding through water puddles) and a removeable battery. The NCM Moscow had a front suspension and larger tires that took some of the impact from the streets but I'm guessing I may be able to get away without that? Any thoughts from riders with similar commutes would be appreciated.

Stay safe and happy holidays!

Last edited:

Dewey

Consider the Vanmoof S3 and X3, while the main battery is in the frame there is an optional removable extender battery, boost button acts like a throttle, it has a Sturmey Archer 4-speed IGH, and while it doesn’t have belt drive, it has a chainglider which keeps your chain protected from the weather & road crud.

Timpo

Consider the Vanmoof S3 and X3, while the main battery is in the frame there is an optional removable extender battery, boost button acts like a throttle, it has a Sturmey Archer 4-speed IGH, and while it doesn’t have belt drive, it has a chainglider which keeps your chain protected from the weather & road crud.
How much $ is that though?
The OP wants to stay around $1,500.. Vanmoof would cost approx x2 of that. (I think)

nufo

Thanks for the replies. The Luna Stealth looks interesting... the range is a little worrisome (on the website it states 20 miles and in the first video the reviewer mentions 15-30 miles). I wonder if I should just stick to a chain drive since the options for belt drive are so limited?

Unfortunately the Vanhoof is out of the price range. I can probably go up to $1750 but the better half would likely have something to say about that :)

Timpo

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks in advance. I've already learned quite a bit from the forum and look forward to gaining much more knowledge on the ebike journey. So for background: I had an NCM Moscow for about 6 months but unfortunately, an accident with a hit-and-run driver has that bike out of commission. I liked the NCM Moscow but for my riding, I think another bike may be better suited. I have a 6 mile commute (12 mile round trip) on city streets in Chicago... there can be some rough roads and plenty of potholes but mostly flat. With my Moscow, I still rode in the very cold months even with light snow and rain. I maintained the bike well and kept the chain as clean and lubed as possible but there was still some rust. In my search for a new bike, I've come across:

1) Espin Aero: Great deal going on right now! I was hoping for a belt drive since it would likely hold up better with the weather and I like the almost no maintenance. However, no throttle, battery is smaller, cadence sensor, and range likely only ~20-25miles.
2) Roadster V2: Belt drive! No throttle, battery is smaller, cadence sensor, and range likely only ~20 miles. Thinner tires than Aero (Gravel Edition has larger tires though).
3) Rize Fixie: Belt drive, throttle, possibly longer range. But still, cadence sensor and slightly thinner tires than the Aero.

I am hoping to stay at around $1.5k if possible. Are there any suggestions for something with a belt drive, torque sensor (I've ridden both torque and cadence and much prefer torque), and decent range (25-30miles)? Pluses would be a throttle (helps when riding through water puddles) and a removeable battery. The NCM Moscow had a front suspension and larger tires that took some of the impact from the streets but I'm guessing I may be able to get away without that? Any thoughts from riders with similar commutes would be appreciated.

Stay safe and happy holidays!
Okay, Rize certainly doesn't know what fixie is.
This bike is definitely not fixie.
Do not buy this bike if you're expecting for a fixie.

I found that so many ebike companies do not know what they sell, they're not bicycle/motorcycle enthusiasts.

Many companies can't tell the difference between trailbike and downhill bike.
Many companies can't tell the difference between minibike, cruiser, scrambler and cafe racer.

This is getting a bit too much.

Dewey

That bike is much closer to NCM Moscow OP once had.
I think OP wants to move to single speed (or look alike) though, preferably belt drive.
Was wrong the Swift Lite model has a Cadence sensor, but the Swift has a torque sensor plus throttle and Biktrix are selling an ex demo for $1,800. OP says he will consider chain

nufo

@Timpo : I'm still a beginner but can you explain why the Rize isn't a fixie?

I actually don't really mind if the bike is single of multiple gears; it just seems like the belt drives are mainly on the single speed bikes. Thanks.

Timpo

@Timpo : I'm still a beginner but can you explain why the Rize isn't a fixie?

I actually don't really mind if the bike is single of multiple gears; it just seems like the belt drives are mainly on the single speed bikes. Thanks.
Ohh okay, yeah no problem.:)

Fixie stands for fixed gear bike.

Basically, your gear is fixed. It does not have ratcheting mechanism in the hub.
For example, did you realize that you can coast on your bike without pedaling?
And when you ride a bike (ebike or not) did you notice "click, click, click, click,....." on your rear hub when your NOT pedaling, simply just coasting?
That's the ratcheting mechanism.

Fixie does not have ratcheting mechanism, it's a fixed hub.

Watch this video, it will explain it.

Many beginners think fixed gear bike = single speed bike, which is not the case.
It's completely fine when beginners think that, however, when ebike manufactures don't know the difference, that's a bit of problem because people would expect a fixie, which in fact, it's not.

I didn't realize Rize Fixie was not a fixie until I watched their video and saw a guy coasting on Rize Fixie (which is not possible on fixie bike). Otherwise I would've expected it to be a fixie.

Rize Fixie does have a fixie-look, but it's not actually a fixie.
There are niche market for fixie enthusiasts, and many people prefer the direct feeling of fixie.
Anyways, in my opinion, Rize should not be calling this non-fixie bike a Fixie.

Last edited:

indianajo

At least the espin aero & the rize fixie have disk brakes. The roadster v2 has rim brakes. It does rain in Chicago, doesn't it? My experience is that stopping power of rim brakes goes to 1/3 or 1/4 after a pass through a puddle.
My bike gets rained on a lot while I'm shopping or at my volunteer job. I oil the chain every 2 weeks, what I can reach with the pump oiler. It doesn't rust. When I wore it out (~5000 miles) I changed to a KMC bright chain, which is also not rusting.
The 28 mm tires of the rize fixie I would find jaw rattling. The 700 diameter is good.
At one time the xtreme catalina had both a geared hub motor and a torque sensor. Their website is unavailable to me due to security issues. The specs on journey bike don't say. You might email xtreme. The 10.4 ah battery looks like a standard dolphin, which might be easier to replace than built in batteries of the previous brands.
One feature I like of geared hub motor, you can change one out in a couple of hours, if the controller cable matches up. I've worn out one (gears, ebikeling) and had one burn the harness & controller pins (Mac12t) because of rain. Don't buy an ASI controller; the pins are too close together to withstand rain.

nufo

Thanks for that thorough explanation @Timpo . Lots there that I didn't know and now it all makes sense. And like you stated, all these ebike "fixies" aren't true fixed gear bikes.

@indianajo : Good call on the brakes. I hadn't thought about how much stopping power is lost with the rim brakes. I definitely ride in the rain so I'll have to stay away from the Roadster V2. And thanks for the other pointers!

nufo

I ended up ordering the Espin Aero (actually two... one for the better half as well). I couldn't pass up on the $499 sale that popped up. Expected delivery sometime next month so I'll keep you updated. My much info on the Aero out there either but took the plunge. Fingers crossed.

GenXrider

I ended up ordering the Espin Aero (actually two... one for the better half as well). I couldn't pass up on the $499 sale that popped up. Expected delivery sometime next month so I'll keep you updated. My much info on the Aero out there either but took the plunge. Fingers crossed.
$499 sale? Are you sure? I thought the lowest the Aero sold for over the holiday season was $799.