Disc Brakes and Pads

Sierratim

Semi-metallic ones. I might also look to Kool-Stops to accumulate different pads for my stock.
My semi-metallic pads are giving me great life compared to my original organic pads. I did need to bed them in to get them to quiet down. I clean them and the rotors with alcohol if I get any additional noise from them.

Sierratim

I did a 1,000 mile checkup on my semi-metallic Kool Stop pads today. As I noted in post #10 in this thread, at 500 miles these pads had an average wear of 0.05mm as compared to a new pad as measured on the faster wearing front pads. I removed and cleaned both front and rear pads today and again measured the thickness of the front pads. The average wear was 0.13mm, and increase of 0.08mm from the 500 mile mark. I'm sure the increased wear was due to the river canyon rides I did through the summer with their steep descents.

None the less, these new pads are on track to last well over 2,500 miles, a very nice improvement over the original organic pads that had to be replaced at 500 miles.

I did note that the rotors had a slight blueish tint now. My sons tells me this is common for their MTBs being caused by high temps from braking during long descents. Gotta love those aggressive heat sinks on these Kool Stop pads!

0402201211a_Film1_20200403071806566.jpg

FlatSix911

I did a 1,000 mile checkup on my semi-metallic Kool Stop pads today. As I noted in post #10 in this thread, at 500 miles these pads had an average wear of 0.05mm as compared to a new pad as measured on the faster wearing front pads. I removed and cleaned both front and rear pads today and again measured the thickness of the front pads. The average wear was 0.13mm, and increase of 0.08mm from the 500 mile mark. I'm sure the increased wear was due to the river canyon rides I did through the summer with their steep descents.

None the less, these new pads are on track to last well over 2,500 miles, a very nice improvement over the original organic pads that had to be replaced at 500 miles.

I did note that the rotors had a slight blueish tint now. My sons tells me this is common for their MTBs being caused by high temps from braking during long descents.
Gotta love those aggressive heat sinks on these Kool Stop pads!

View attachment 69841
Congrats... the blue tint on the rotors is a badge of honor around here! ;)