Displays using iPhone may Break 'Em?

Shaggy

I dislike ebike displays that reply heavily on or require iPhone or Android smartphones. Today is a BBC story about Apple says several models of iPhone are susceptible to the damage from vibrations produced by motorcycles.
Of course, and ebike ain't a motorcycle running 70mph, but when I think about potholes and ruts in streets and off road roughness, I sure don't like the idea of putting my expensive smartphone in harm's way (it's my emergency communications device).
Personally, I wish Bosch would stick to developing its Intuvia black 'n' white display and stop forcing the over-hyped rather complicated color displays on us. GIVE ME BATTERY PERCENTAGE any day. I want to ride my ebike not READ it!
/end rant

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I dislike ebike displays that reply heavily on or require iPhone or Android smartphones. Today is a BBC story about Apple says several models of iPhone are susceptible to the damage from vibrations produced by motorcycles.
Of course, and ebike ain't a motorcycle running 70mph, but when I think about potholes and ruts in streets and off road roughness, I sure don't like the idea of putting my expensive smartphone in harm's way (it's my emergency communications device).
Personally, I wish Bosch would stick to developing its Intuvia black 'n' white display and stop forcing the over-hyped color displays on us. GIVE ME BATTERY PERCENTAGE any day. I want to ride my ebike not READ it!
/end rant
I would have never put an expensive smartphone on the bars. It is even not the vibration issue you mentioned but -- even with the best phone handlebar mount available -- bikes tend to crash (or even just fall when left stationary). For that reason, it is an inexpensive smartphone on my bars, and the costly one resides in the back pocket of my jersey.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
That's exactly why I have ZERO interest in using my iPhone as a display. Too expensive (and too much hassle) if I break it and have to replace it. CN
e-bikes that are capable of displaying ride/bike details on a smartphone might be capable to produce similar info on bike computers such as Garmin Edge or Wahoo Bolt. Not sure about Bosch e-bikes, as I have never tried them.

retiredNH

Region
USA
I use an old android phone I had in a drawer, without a sim card, as my display with Bosch's smartphone hub and cobi.bike. I don't really care if the phone gets wrecked, but it's survived all my rides this summer, including some rough rodes. So the phone is fine. Cobi.bike, OTOH, is a terrible app. Best that can be said is that it displays basic data and has colorful maps, but the maps are hard to read because of the way they display. I would have never chosen such a horrid device, but it came with the bike. Bosch seems to be ignoring it, too. No updates in over a year.

mschwett

Region
USA
Personally, I wish Bosch would stick to developing its Intuvia black 'n' white display and stop forcing the over-hyped rather complicated color displays on us. GIVE ME BATTERY PERCENTAGE any day. I want to ride my ebike not READ it!
/end rant
it’ll be interesting to see if the advice extends or eventually extends to bicycles. 3,000 road miles in, zero problems with my iPhone 12 Pro Max which is on my handlebars every time I ride. none of the somewhat breathless coverage of this news seems to know what kind of “vibrations” are the issue.

billmeek

Region
USA
City
Summertown, TN
You might find this of interest:

Specifically this portion at the bottom:

Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.

mschwett

Region
USA
You might find this of interest:

Specifically this portion at the bottom:
interesting that they don’t mention bicycles at all, and the entire discussion seems based on the vibrations (both frequency and amplitude) created by the motor, not the road.