Do you use more than one battery on your rides?

6zfshdb

I am not happy that my e-bike has no welded on nuts to install bottle cages.

I've had good luck with these:

shopping.png

And:

71WLeQYzuRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Luv2ride

I always ride with two extra 500 Wh batteries in my bag. My rides are usually about 40 miles with average speeds of 16-20 mph and generally 2-3000 feet of climbing.
Two batteries are usually enough but sometimes I use the 3rd on longer rides. I almost never use eco and make liberal use of sport and turbo modes.
https://www.strava.com/athlete/training

Attachments

• Hidden Valley (3 of 3).jpg
    Hidden Valley (3 of 3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46

john peck

I have modified a rack with a plywood shelf to carry a second battery, Cheap & very functional, extends my range to about 70 mi.
There is a padded foam sheath that protects the connector & holds it in place, also padded at the forward end.

Attachments

• PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

CdnShaun

I've seen some R&M fans of dual battery capacity, and some Trek models have the ability to use dual batteries as well. I'm sure there are other brands as well.

I have been wondering, who uses more than one battery, either in dual configuration or just carrying an extra one in a bag with them while they ride.

If you use more than one battery on your rides I'm curious to know what distance you're travelling, average speed, elevation, etc .......

I'm curious because with my Creo I consistently use around 2 wh/km, implying a range of roughly 160 km's. Recently a friend rode my Juiced CCS on a ride with us and we travelled 86 km's with 950 metres of elevation gain. The battery had 2 bars left when we got home.

So it got me curious who uses a range extender, or an extra battery and what are the specifics on your use.
2 wh/km?? Wow Captain thoroughly impressed!!

My best ride this year on my most efficient setup was a flat (rail trail) ride with a non-e riding friend. We did 101kms, average speed close to yours of 20-22kmph. I'm 270lbs of rider on top as a worthy side note. As it was Bionx equipment my calculations are estimates but I almost made it on a single 557wh battery, finished off around 650wh or 6.5wh/km for that distance/speed and type of rider I am.

I have a special build I'm nearly finish and had some great first rides on. It's a monster of a build (I blame being stuck at home due to COVID, lol) that may be the largest capacity setup discussed in this thread. 7,200wh when all 6 batteries are installed. 18-22wh/km with an average speed of 35-42kmph. Estimated 320-350km range with elevation changes, further if mostly flat.

Yes, it's ridiculous. I built it to go anywhere and all day riding. I maintain a 125-150bpm heart rate and only ever use the throttle if I'm having issue or need to get home and no energy left in the legs (hasn't happen yet thankfully).

Cheers

Last edited:

CdnShaun

I think a small trailer would be quite useful for grocery getting and other small errands. What do you like about the Burley relative to other trailers?
Burley trailers are awesome. I have a Burley COHO XC in line trailer. Here's what I can share about it and why I love it:

-Use of 'Burley Ballz' (confirm your bike is compatible with this setup before considering this type of trailer, all of my bikes with rear hub motors are 10mm nuts that these balls simply replace) and compatible with 135mm to 190mm rear axles means for each set of $30 extra Burley Ballz I can use the trailer with any bike I have, share the trailer with others, etc.

-23lbs empty.

-Comes with a double leg kickstand. Handy for when it's free standing (keeps the front up off the ground and if your bike does not have a kick stand, it will hold your bike (including up to a 50lb ebike I can attest to) up as well, a little bonus for sure.

-Tracks beautifully. Single wheel behind you follows your movements perfectly. Turning is a bit wider than usual but nothing serious.

-Load: I have found for me a 40-45lb load works fine, no rear panniers (worth noting). Beyond 45lbs is possible, whether in trailer or panniers, but for me it caused the front wheel to 'lift' enough to make steering a bit sketchy - I tested at 60lbs in the trailer and spread between trailer and pannier's - same effect. This here is important when considering single wheel that leverages against the rear of the bike versus 2 wheeled trailer models that can take more weight as the bike is only 'pulling' it forward more so than holding the weight up as well.

-Speed: The trade off of a single wheel versus 2 wheel other than the tracking (around pot holes is especially important) is the speed you can cruise along at - is what research told me. With my trailer I cruise at 35kmph with 45lb payload with no issues. Gone as fast as 50kmph+ downhill with the 45lb payload and just started the feel the front wheel get a little 'light' - I leaned forward to put more weight over the front and was back to 100% control.

-Price - not cheap. Fully raise my hand on this one. My thinking last year that has proven correct is I would never want more than 40lb payload and with the Burley Ballz design it will work with any bike I own now and well into the future. The 3" fat tire option you can purchase (replacing the 2" stock model it comes with) rides great on pavement, so much so I leave it on full time - can go on pavement, dirt trails and even rougher single track.

I didn't go with the 'Burley Bag' that perfectly fits within it this year...as I found a storage container (Rubbermaid model) that fits really well and I just strapped it in with the bonus of being weather proof.

Ebikes with Trailers rock...is all I can say and thankful to have my setup this year, hoping others who might need more than panniers can carry will find a trailer that works for them.

CdnShaun

For those who are using 2 and 3 batteries per ride, you must be going awfully fast. What's your average speed? 35 km/hr?
35-42kmph is my cruising speed on my silly big bike with 6 batteries...but I could be the exception to the rule.

Longest ride so far this year was 190kms (118 miles) and I still had 2800wh of capacity left. My goal is to come as close as I can to 250kms (155miles) in a single ride before this winter.

Captain Slow

Wow Shaun, that is quite a bike! Can you post some pictures, I'd love to see what it looks like. I've never come close to 250 km's in a day and I likely never will.

As for my efficiency, the Creo is known for having an efficient motor. That and I have become a significantly stronger rider over the last number of years.

About a decade ago I hit a high of 195 lbs. as I had stopped exercising as I had been spending lots of time with young kids. I knew I had get active. Commuting to work by bike was the most time efficient way to do it.

Got an electric bike, lots of riding this year, and dietary changes have resulted in significant benefits. I weighed myself this morning on my Garmin scale, I was 155.6 lbs and the body fat reading was 14.57% (though these readings are known to only be ballpark and not the most accurate).

It all started with an electric bike. My story is similar to so many others.