Does anyone have suggestions for a better battery?

tomjasz

New question: I have a charger with the following specs: Input: 100-220V, 2.2A (MAX). Output: 54.6V, 2.0A. Can I use this to charge a 52V 14S battery charging at 59.8V?
You could but you won’t be able to charge to 58.8V the 52V 100% level.

indianajo

Just to 2nd previous posts, my 48 v 17.5 AH luna battery is going on 3.7 years and working fine. 280 charges maybe? 30% to 85% mostly. He has exited the 48 v market, which is a shame. 52 v batteries are for speed demons. Hill climbers are being forced back to 36 v. I use battery on the 50th to 80th hill of my weekly commute.

Timpo

Just to 2nd previous posts, my 48 v 17.5 AH luna battery is going on 3.7 years and working fine. 140 charges maybe? 30% to 85% mostly. He has exited the 48 v market, which is a shame. 52 v batteries are for speed demons. Hill climbers are being forced back to 36 v. I use battery on the 50th to 80th hill of my weekly commute.
Why would hill climbers choose 36V? That doesn't make sense to me...

If 52V is too fast, you can just lower the assist, adjust the top speed, or get a higher winding motor.

m@Robertson

Region
USA
New question: I have a charger with the following specs: Input: 100-220V, 2.2A (MAX). Output: 54.6V, 2.0A. Can I use this to charge a 52V 14S battery charging at 59.8V?
What @Timpo said. 54.6v is a 48v battery. 58.8v is a 52v battery. If you want details on why that discrepancy exists, go here

Also at that web site, check out the table of contents and look at the "ultra reliable ebike battery charger" article.

m@Robertson

Region
USA
52 v batteries are for speed demons.
I have always considered 52v batteries in 48v systems as merely providing current for the 48v system's sweet spot ("usable volts") for a longer period of time. The added speed provided at the very peak of the charge cycle isn't enough to notice. Especially if you take advantage of the voltage to charge to 55.4v (80%) and call that "full".

indianajo

Why would hill climbers choose 36V? That doesn't make sense to me...
Because US vendors won't sell you a 48 v geared hub motor anymore. Cruise e-bay, scarce as hen's teeth. Electric-bikes.com cancelled my order for a 48v Mac12T in 2018 when he called me up and found southern Indiana had hills. He would have sold it to me if I lived in flat Colombus. He accused me of running a pedi-cab business with my 330 lb gross weight with groceries. I bought the last one Luna had, and now he is out of the hub motor business. Ebikeling that sold me my first 48 v geared hub motor (that wore out the gears ~4500 miles) is now selling only 36 v ones. May have something to do with warrenty returns?

tomjasz

Because US vendors won't sell you a 48 v geared hub motor anymore. Cruise e-bay, scarce as hen's teeth. Electric-bikes.com cancelled my order for a 48v Mac12T in 2018 when he called me up and found southern Indiana had hills. He would have sold it to me if I lived in flat Colombus. He accused me of running a pedi-cab business with my 330 lb gross weight with groceries. I bought the last one Luna had, and now he is out of the hub motor business. Ebikeling that sold me my first 48 v geared hub motor (that wore out the gears ~4500 miles) is now selling only 36 v ones. May have something to do with warrenty returns?
Buy direct from MAC Motors. Get over being worried. Forums are packed with happy buyers.

MAC group buy anyone?

Last edited: