E-bike and e-motorcycle manufacturers set to triple sales in 2020

D

Deleted member 4210

I think Japan nailed it with high speed transportation.
I believe, everyone here on EBR, are fan of efficient, high speed electric transportation to some degree.

Japan's Shinkansen bullet trains carry 9 billion passengers / year.
In operation since 1960s, travels at 320km/h (198mph), 0 fatalities.

How fast do cars on US highways travel? and how many fatalities since 1960s?
And um, Japan is ONLY the geographical size of California, but with a population of 126 million vs California's of about 40 million, or roughly 3 times the population density. Trains and similar public transport make sense in very high population density areas. Our nation could not afford, nor would it make any economic sense to run high speed rail through most states, let alone America's vast rural heartland.

Besides for efficiency, ebikes are VERY hard to beat on an MPGe basis.

Here's the math for ya':

Ebike: 1340 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food, and using solar PV to charge your ebike)
Train: 800 MPGe (full and pre-COVID)
Ebike: 740 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food)
Ebike: 570 MPGe (eating whatever ? , including Mcdonalds ? lol )
E-Motorcycle: 420 MPGe ( ZERO MMX model)
'Analogue' Bike: 340 MPGe (geez I hate that word 'analogue' to describe a regular bike, but it seems to be a common throw around here at EBR) :(
EV: (car) 120 MPGe (ok, a Tesla Model 3 is 141 MPGe, for all you T-fanboy smartazzes)
Plane: 90 MPGe (i.e. a large commercial airliner with LOADS of people on it - pre-COVID)
Motorcycle: 65 MPGe
Walking: 55 MPGe (humans are only 25% efficient in converting food to energy for transporting themselves)
2020 Prius Prime: 55/53 MPGe (City/Highway)
2020 Honda Civic: 32/42 MPGe
2020 Chevy Tahoe: 18/22 MPGe
2020 Kenworth T-800 Semi: 6 MPGe (but hey, its carrying all that NON locally grown food to your grocer - so cut it some slack)

Check out this video in case you are interested in the definitions of 'locally grown food' or how the MPGe is derived:

Last edited by a moderator:

FlatSix911

And um, Japan is ONLY the geographical size of California, but with a population of 126 million vs California's of about 40 million, or roughly 3 times the population density. Trains and similar public transport make sense in very high population density areas. Our nation could not afford, nor would it make any economic sense to run high speed rail through most states, let alone America's vast rural heartland.Besides for efficiency, ebikes are VERY hard to beat on an MPGe basis.
Here's the math for ya':
Ebike: 1340 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food, and using solar PV to charge your ebike)
Train: 800 MPGe (full and pre-COVID)
Ebike: 740 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food)
Ebike: 570 MPGe (eating whatever?, including Mcdonalds ? lol )

E-Motorcycle: 420 MPGe ( ZERO MMX model)
'Analogue' Bike: 340 MPGe (geez I hate that word 'analogue' to describe a regular bike, but it seems to be a common throw around here at EBR) :(
EV: (car) 120 MPGe (ok, a Tesla Model 3 is 141 MPGe, for all you T-fanboy smartazzes)
Plane: 90 MPGe (i.e. a large commercial airliner with LOADS of people on it - pre-COVID)
Motorcycle: 65 MPGe
Walking: 55 MPGe (humans are only 25% efficient in converting food to energy for transporting themselves)
2020 Prius Prime: 55/53 MPGe (City/Highway)
2020 Honda Civic: 32/42 MPGe
2020 Chevy Tahoe: 18/22 MPGe
2020 Kenworth T-800 Semi: 6 MPGe (but hey, its carrying all that NON locally grown food to your grocer - so cut it some slack)

Check out this video in case you are interested in the definitions of 'locally grown food' or how the MPGe is derived:

Interesting MPGe comparison... thanks for sharing.