E-bike riders pose far lower traffic safety risk than non-assisted riders

FlatSix911

Interesting data... evidently the EU research shows that EBikes are safer for commuting than regular pedal bikes.

Electric bicycles have a lot going for them, helping riders commute faster and farther than pedal bikes and more efficiently than cars, all without needing ultra-toned quads and calves. But now we’re learning about one more big advantage: e-bikes are apparently safer than pedals bikes. This new data comes from a specialized bicycle insurance provider, Bikmo.

By conducting a survey of over 3,000 of its riders across Europe, Bikmo found that riders of electric bikes accounted for 38% fewer insurance claims compared to pedal bike riders, on average. The survey included approximately 1,000 e-bike riders and 2,000 pedal bike riders. Bikmo offers wide-ranging insurance covering everything from damage, theft, personal injury, liability, and more. The company says that they attribute the lower risk seen by e-bike riders to such riders being more risk-averse. Bikmo ultimately used the data to set new, lower premiums for electric bike riders after realizing that they weren’t paying out as much on electric bikes.

As explained by David George, Bikmo’s CEO:

“The team here at Bikmo are hugely proud to announce a 25% cut on our electric bike premiums. Believing firmly that e-bikes play a central role in the future of cycling, we want to lead the way in encouraging more people to discover the many benefits they offer.”
This news comes at a time when electric bicycle adoption rates are soaring. The beginning of 2020 already saw a large increase in e-bike ridership, but it was dwarfed by skyrocketing e-bike sales that coincided with COVID19-related lockdowns across the US and around the world.

Stefan Mikes

This article is interesting, too. A new Giant factory in Hungary, eh? I wonder where my Trance was manufactured.

FlatSix911

This article is interesting, too. A new Giant factory in Hungary, eh? I wonder where my Trance was manufactured.

Yes, we have to support the EU. ;)

Any theories on why EBikes are safer... perhaps the power assist helps to keep up with traffic and avoid accidents?

Stefan Mikes

@FlatSix911,
Here's some additional information. There are two specific European countries where no helmets are worn at all (except of competitive cyclists): The Netherlands and Denmark. These two countries are "cycling countries" where the population ride bikes from childhood, mostly in urban areas, on bike paths and slowly. The cycling culture there is so high people don't think helmets are necessary.

On the other hand, Germans (as well as, for example, Swedes) are paranoid about riding safety. Wearing helmets and using good lighting is perceived well by the cycling population in Poland; people here have understood protecting their heads and being seen is important. Also, a big number of Polish cyclists wear reflective clothes. (It is just cool).

See how it looks in my country:
1594405148108.png

A totally aware, senior cyclist. All safety features on.

1594405296219.png

An aware Polish family. Everyone, especially the young kid, wear helmets.

1594405455963.png

One guy of three wears no helmet.

1594405560660.png

This man wears no helmet because he doesn't have to; he is yet unaware he's a mortal.

I could show a photo of a whole family wearing no helmets as well.

Handlebars

@FlatSix911,
Here's some additional information. There are two specific European countries where no helmets are worn at all (except of competitive cyclists): The Netherlands and Denmark. These two countries are "cycling countries" where the population ride bikes from childhood, mostly in urban areas, on bike paths and slowly. The cycling culture there is so high people don't think helmets are necessary.

On the other hand, Germans (as well as, for example, Swedes) are paranoid about riding safety. Wearing helmets and using good lighting is perceived well by the cycling population in Poland; people here have understood protecting their heads and being seen is important. Also, a big number of Polish cyclists wear reflective clothes. (It is just cool).

See how it looks in my country:
View attachment 58512
A totally aware, senior cyclist. All safety features on.

View attachment 58513
An aware Polish family. Everyone, especially the young kid, wear helmets.

View attachment 58514
One guy of three wears no helmet.

View attachment 58515
This man wears no helmet because he doesn't have to; he is yet unaware he's a mortal.

I could show a photo of a whole family wearing no helmets as well.
I meant for ebike riding. In Canada adults don't have to wear helmets for bike riding, but do have to, if it's an ebike.
No special helmet laws there for ebike riders?

Ebiker01

But millions of people do not wear helmets while driving or walking and retake a huge risk every time.
Is driving w/o a helmet 100% safe ? Data shows it is clearly not.

Stefan Mikes

I meant for ebike riding. In Canada adults don't have to wear helmets for bike riding, but do have to, if it's an ebike.
No special helmet laws there for ebike riders?
No, a 25 km/h e-bike is just a bike by law in Europe. With the 45 km/h moped you have to wear a cycling helmet, and it is a motorcycle helmet for these speed ebikes in the UK.

Stefan Mikes

I always wear a helmet while riding. On a single occasion when I'd forgotten my helmet at home, I had a bad fall that might have ended badly.

Timpo

This is not surprising at all.

More power = safer

Any motorcycle riders will tell you that more power makes it safer.
People assume that Class 3 riders will blast through 28mph EVERYWHERE, but that's not the case.

People on 150cc motorcycle will tell you that those motorcycles are sometimes underpowered, whereas 750cc motorcycles have a lot more power, you can pass other cars easily, merge into the traffic a lot more safely, and crucially, the high powered motorcycles will let you get out of dangerous situations quickly.

Same as ebikes, the Class 3 will let you pass other cyclists safely and quickly, let you get out of dangerous situations (like intersections) more quickly, let you climb hills quickly, etc.

Stefan Mikes

This is not surprising at all.

More power = safer

Any motorcycle riders will tell you that more power makes it safer.
People assume that Class 3 riders will blast through 28mph EVERYWHERE, but that's not the case.

People on 150cc motorcycle will tell you that those motorcycles are sometimes underpowered, whereas 750cc motorcycles have a lot more power, you can pass other cars easily, merge into the traffic a lot more safely, and crucially, the high powered motorcycles will let you get out of dangerous situations quickly.

Same as ebikes, the Class 3 will let you pass other cyclists safely and quickly, let you get out of dangerous situations (like intersections) more quickly, let you climb hills quickly, etc.
While I agree Timpo with what you say, the "speed" e-bikes are uncommon in Europe (except of Switzerland) and majority of cyclists ride bike paths. Don't forget Europe is much different from the U.S. (The cited article discusses European Union).

Last edited:

Ebiker33

Better stopping power, 4" fatties with this on a Watt Wagon.

Incredible Stopping Power
Experience the most powerful brakes on the planet. The CrossTour is well equipped with the Hayes Dominion A4, quad piston brakes, with 203mm front rotors. They look great, and can stop the bike stop on a dime!

Makes a difference verses those old wire caliper brakes we had as kids.

indianajo

Yes, we have to support the EU. ;)

Any theories on why EBikes are safer... perhaps the power assist helps to keep up with traffic and avoid accidents?
ebike riders are affluent, higher than average income and education.
Lycra riders violate all traffic rules except they ride on the right side of the road.
Yehoos in black or camo clothes, with a gimme cap instead of a helmet, violate all traffic rules, ride on the wrong side of the road and weave around. Cut through 4 way stops diagonally from one sidewalk to the opposite corner.
Can't say I've observed any e-bike riders lately. both the home builds here have disappeared. The only surviving power bike is a 2 cycle blattmobile (gasoline) that violates stop signs & lights, wears black clothes & no helmet, and speeds, too.

FlatSix911

ebike riders are affluent, higher than average income and education.
Lycra riders violate all traffic rules except they ride on the right side of the road.
Yehoos in black or camo clothes, with a gimme cap instead of a helmet, violate all traffic rules, ride on the wrong side of the road and weave around. Cut through 4 way stops diagonally from one sidewalk to the opposite corner.
Can't say I've observed any e-bike riders lately. both the home builds here have disappeared. The only surviving power bike is a 2 cycle blattmobile (gasoline) that violates stop signs & lights, wears black clothes & no helmet, and speeds, too.

Be careful stereotyping rider groups... most roadies in this area are respectful of traffic rules.

indianajo

Be careful stereotyping rider groups... most roadies in this area are respectful of traffic rules.
Not here. To be specific, not Louisville Wheelman. If I pull out of a 4 way stop, they charge me at 20 mph from 90 deg left. Never slow down for a stop sign, red light, or pedestrian crossing, that is the rule here for the lycra crowd.