ebike (cargo) for very petite female for family commuting

becky0372b

Region
USA
Hi All,
I am 4'8.5" and I'm looking for an ebike that will work for me and my family. I'm hoping to find an ebike (believe it should be a cargo bike) I can get around my 5 year old (and/or possibly my 9 year old only if I can manage it) in Brooklyn NY. My husband will likely use it too and it would be nice to have the option for him to get around with one or both kids. Does anyone have any recommendations for e-cargo bikes that would work for a very petite rider? I am looking at Bike Friday Haul a day as one option. Another option may be the Tern GSD if I can find an alternative seat to see if it may fit for my height (not sure if this one will work for me but checking with a local dealer).

Are there other bikes I should be looking at? Any feedback on the ones I mentioned (for short riders)?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Rebecca

indianajo

I'm negative on 20" wheels. I can't always miss potholes, and they would rattle my teeth on 20" wheels. Potholes are hidden by cars in traffic, also by puddles in rain & snow. Tern GSD has 20" wheels.
Blix Packa has 24" wheels. Also Euronau & yuba combi. Make sure the frame is 16" or maybe 17". My yuba bodaboda with 26" wheels would fit you, it was made for small people, but they quit making the drop frame model. Superb quality.
For the 9 year old you could buy a hitch on one wheel (rear) bike , where he/she could pedal if he/she felt like it. My yuba has a nice welded carrier with a bar on the back suitable for mounting some kind of hitch.
If he/she is small there is a padded shelf for sitting and a grab bar that attaches to the seat post. But the padded shelf makes it difficult to attach a child seat. The yuba shelf is sized to easily fit some popular brand of child seat. There is also holes in the frame to put a front basket on the front of a yuba without steering it. You could make a child seat up there, or a mount for a child seat. You see in the picture I have my battery mounted up there, in an aluminum frame made of angles and #10 screws with elastic stop nuts. (Stop nuts don't come loose). I rode on front of Mother's bicycle in a seat made of steel angle & masonite panels by my father 1953-1955. No, I didn't wear a helmet. No, I didn't fall off.

Last edited:

Timpo

I'm negative on 20" wheels. I can't always miss potholes, and they would rattle my teeth on 20" wheels. Potholes are hidden by cars in traffic, also by puddles in rain & snow. Tern GSD has 20" wheels.
Blix Packa has 24" wheels. Also Euronau & yuba combi. Make sure the frame is 16" or maybe 17". My yuba bodaboda with 26" wheels would fit you, it was made for small people, but they quit making the drop frame model. Superb quality.
For the 9 year old you could buy a hitch on one wheel (rear) bike , where he/she could pedal if he/she felt like it. My yuba has a nice welded carrier with a bar on the back suitable for mounting some kind of hitch.
If he/she is small there is a padded shelf for sitting and a grab bar that attaches to the seat post. But the padded shelf makes it difficult to attach a child seat. The yuba shelf is sized to easily fit some popular brand of child seat. There is also holes in the frame to put a front basket on the front of a yuba without steering it. You could make a child seat up there, or a mount for a child seat. You see in the picture I have my battery mounted up there, in an aluminum frame made of angles and #10 screws with elastic stop nuts. (Stop nuts don't come loose). I rode on front of Mother's bicycle in a seat made of steel angle & masonite panels by my father 1953-1955. No, I didn't wear a helmet. No, I didn't fall off.
This video compares Eunorau G20 and Tern GSD.
I think in this case, Tern GSD would be better especially when the rider is 4'8", because Tern GSD has smaller wheels (lower center of gravity), which will make it a lot easier when carrying two children.

billmeek

Region
USA
City
Summertown, TN
Rebecca,

Given your location, I'd head over to Propel and take a look at the bikes in stock. They carry a large selection of cargo ebikes:

Their address is 134 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11205

john peck

Hi All,
I am 4'8.5" and I'm looking for an ebike that will work for me and my family. I'm hoping to find an ebike (believe it should be a cargo bike) I can get around my 5 year old (and/or possibly my 9 year old only if I can manage it) in Brooklyn NY. My husband will likely use it too and it would be nice to have the option for him to get around with one or both kids. Does anyone have any recommendations for e-cargo bikes that would work for a very petite rider? I am looking at Bike Friday Haul a day as one option. Another option may be the Tern GSD if I can find an alternative seat to see if it may fit for my height (not sure if this one will work for me but checking with a local dealer).

Are there other bikes I should be looking at? Any feedback on the ones I mentioned (for short riders)?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Rebecca
Brooklyn? Kids? You may be short, but not on courage. Urban traffic terrifies me.