Ebike Chain Lubes

Nomad

Some motorcyclists use no lube at all but most motorcycle chains have sealed o-rings that keep the factory grease in place. Their reasoning is that lubing a chain that already has sealed lube will only attract dirt and grime, shortening the service life of the chain. I just can't see running a totally dry motorcycle chain but to each their own. I use maxima chain wax on my motorcycle and e-bike chains and get great service life from both
so they come from factory with nothing on the outside whatsoever?

fooferdoggie

I go by how long it lasts verses how much mess it makes. rock and roll will give me about 100 or so miles between uses and I don't hav to clean the drivetrain much at all. only when I change the chain. but in the rain I need to lube after every one rain commute.

DDBB

They come in a similar fashion to our ebike chains, coated in cosmoline or something similar. I'm told the ONLY reason to lube an o-ring chain is to prevent rust but I lube mine anyway. It would be GREAT if our ebike chains had o-rings to seal in the factory grease but I'm afraid that would make them too wide, or too heavy, or both

Nomad

They come in a similar fashion to our ebike chains, coated in cosmoline or something similar. I'm told the ONLY reason to lube an o-ring chain is to prevent rust but I lube mine anyway. It would be GREAT if our ebike chains had o-rings to seal in the factory grease but I'm afraid that would make them too wide, or too heavy, or bot
They come in a similar fashion to our ebike chains, coated in cosmoline or something similar. I'm told the ONLY reason to lube an o-ring chain is to prevent rust but I lube mine anyway. It would be GREAT if our ebike chains had o-rings to seal in the factory grease but I'm afraid that would make them too wide, or too heavy, or both
honestly a little lube on the outside of the roller is ideal as it contacts the sprocket directly even thou the roller spins on the pin

Marcela

I was looking for something for a garage door and ran across this company. Would be interesting to try one of their products.

DDBB

Kluber is high quality stuff. BRP (ski doo) uses its isoflex grease for its sealed crankshaft bearings in snowmobiles. I use it in a planetary gearbox the size of a 50 cent piece for an 8 HP RC airplane

Nomad

As I continue the slippery slope of hot waxing, I'm impressed with just how well it does just that(stay slippery). Definitely stays lubed longer and way cleaner however I don't really ride this bike in the rain but have ridden it in the wet and the wax didn't just wash off. I will be setting up my other bike that I ride in the rain&snow with it and I'll report back how it compares to the oil. The snow part will be awhile thou! At this point it's superior for the conditions I've used it in.

Last edited:

Marcela

Well I'm journeying to the waxer side. Paraffin on the way. Still undecided whether I'll add ptfe or moly. I have an old can of motor mica out there also.