Ebike converting project asking for advices

Mtb-biker88

Region
Canada
Hi there,

I’m really interested and attracted to ebikes specially emtb. My project is converting a mountain bike which is Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 1 2021 in 29 inches :
To electric bike with a Bafang mid drive motor which is 500 w :

I don’t know if it would be possible to do it. Main concerns : the motor installation, the battery needs some holes on the frame to screw the battery pack. The chainrings size is 36T . I don’t find that size for the bafang motor. If you know this project is possible, let me know. Thanks for the advices, etc!!

PedalUma

Region
USA
Hi there,

I’m really interested and attracted to ebikes specially emtb. My project is converting a mountain bike which is Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 1 2021 in 29 inches :
To electric bike with a Bafang mid drive motor which is 500 w :

I don’t know if it would be possible to do it. Main concerns : the motor installation, the battery needs some holes on the frame to screw the battery pack. The chainrings size is 36T . I don’t find that size for the bafang motor. If you know this project is possible, let me know. Thanks for the advices, etc!!
You will be best off using a hardtail. And one that has narrower chain stays as they approach the bottom bracket, room in the diamond and a braze on place for a water bottle cage. Here is one of my builds. It does not look electric.

Attachments

• Chisel01.JPG
    Chisel01.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Chisel02.JPG
    Chisel02.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 40

Lar

Bafang USA direct would be able to help you sort that out I would think. Additionally they have templates for the motor and batteries too that you can print out and mock-up on your bike.