Ebike Kit Review

Greetings EBR members, I have been running an ebikekit on my diamondback mtb for over 1 year now. the system is bulletproof thus far. The kit is 500w geared hub, 9 speed freewheel, throttle only, 48v 20ahr allcell battery. top speed 28mph unassited flat ground. range is consistently in excess of 30 miles- I do pedal along 75-85% of the time. I usually cruise in the 14-17 mph range and have done multiple rides in excess of 50 miles.
Like most geared hubs, a little gear whine is present while on the power but I don't find it to distracting or bothersome while enjoying a ride. Installation of the kit is pretty straight forward but thought and planning make the job turn out better. I had to modify the rear disc brake mounting bracket do to clearance issues. I filed .125 of aluminum off the bracket to center the caliper between the motor and frame rail. The BB7 mounting adjustments took care of proper alignment. The torque arm is a little "cheesey" and takes care to preload it while tightening the axle nuts . All in all, I'm very happy with the system. It lacks some fancy features: no pedal assist or torque sensing, but it flat out works.

Ann M.

Thanks for the notes, especially about the disc brake mounts, @Shoestring. It's good to get feedback from someone who's ridden a system for a long time. Would enjoy seeing a couple of pics of your bike with the kit :). If that torque arm bugs you too much, upgrade to a Grin technology torque arm. They're well machined high quality steel and come in several designs to work on different front & rear wheel setups. You can get these from the manufacturer in Canada or on Amazon and a few other places.

J.R.

Greetings EBR members, I have been running an ebikekit on my diamondback mtb for over 1 year now. the system is bulletproof thus far. The kit is 500w geared hub, 9 speed freewheel, throttle only, 48v 20ahr allcell battery. top speed 28mph unassited flat ground. range is consistently in excess of 30 miles- I do pedal along 75-85% of the time. I usually cruise in the 14-17 mph range and have done multiple rides in excess of 50 miles.
Like most geared hubs, a little gear whine is present while on the power but I don't find it to distracting or bothersome while enjoying a ride. Installation of the kit is pretty straight forward but thought and planning make the job turn out better. I had to modify the rear disc brake mounting bracket do to clearance issues. I filed .125 of aluminum off the bracket to center the caliper between the motor and frame rail. The BB7 mounting adjustments took care of proper alignment. The torque arm is a little "cheesey" and takes care to preload it while tightening the axle nuts . All in all, I'm very happy with the system. It lacks some fancy features: no pedal assist or torque sensing, but it flat out works.
I drafted a bike with that description for 45 miles yesterday;)

It's a very nice bike and fairly stealth, even with the huge battery. The 500 watt geared hub is a little larger than my 350 watt Dapu, but nowhere near the size and weight of the 500 watt direct drive on my X3. On the flat the speed is evenly matched with my Easy Motion 29'er, but your bike is a killer, speed demon on serious hills (serious, being >500 ft. and >1 mi.). I can't see ever needing more speed or torque than your build.

Thanks for the notes, especially about the disc brake mounts, @Shoestring. It's good to get feedback from someone who's ridden a system for a long time. Would enjoy seeing a couple of pics of your bike with the kit :). If that torque arm bugs you too much, upgrade to a Grin technology torque arm. They're well machined high quality steel and come in several designs to work on different front & rear wheel setups. You can get these from the manufacturer in Canada or on Amazon and a few other places.
Hello Ann, thanks for the tip on the Grin torque arms. I will post a few pics , the ones I have on file now are to high resolution to upload. I'll wash the bike so its nice and pretty and take a few shots for anyone interested.

I drafted a bike with that description for 45 miles yesterday;)

It's a very nice bike and fairly stealth, even with the huge battery. The 500 watt geared hub is a little larger than my 350 watt Dapu, but nowhere near the size and weight of the 500 watt direct drive on my X3. On the flat the speed is evenly matched with my Easy Motion 29'er, but your bike is a killer, speed demon on serious hills (serious, being >500 ft. and >1 mi.). I can't see ever needing more speed or torque than your build.
Now JR, truth be told , the EVO 29r was breathing down my neck for the majority of the ride! At least thats from my perspective.