Evelo Omega - 200 Mile Review

FloridaZen

Region
USA
Alaskan thank you for the great review! Especially the add on‘s! Very help for those of us just getting started.

Did you consider other bikes? Wondering if you looked at the Specialized Como 5.0 and your thought why you chose Evelo over the others. My wife and I are looking and we want the more cruiser ride, quality, lower maintenance and long range.

Edrummer

Alaskan: Waiting for your review on rack mounted battery! Possible video on the sound the motor makes on flats and hills would be great.

Alaskan

Alaskan thank you for the great review! Especially the add on‘s! Very help for those of us just getting started.

Did you consider other bikes? Wondering if you looked at the Specialized Como 5.0 and your thought why you chose Evelo over the others. My wife and I are looking and we want the more cruiser ride, quality, lower maintenance and long range.
I looked at many different bikes. I have had many different ebikes. I needed one with more power and torque to overcome limitations being imposed on me by a health challenge.

The Como 5.0 was similar in performance to a bike I already owned, a Trek Allant 9.9S. Both required more effort than I have, when on a down cycle, getting back up the steep hill we live at the top of. We have a top notch Specialized dealer a mile away (at the bottom of the hill). They are also dealer for the Harley Davidson Series 1 ebikes.

I do not need or want an electric motorcyclye but needed an ebike with about 30% more power which is a niche well occupied by the Evelo. The bike is sold only in the USA and does not make compromises to be legal in Canada, the UK, Europe or Australia with their tighter regulations.

Evelo got the nod because of bike specs, specifically motor wattage and torque, build quality, company reputation, warranty and return policy. It is a well designed, well built bike with a solid, maintenance free drive train and fits the niche I needed, just right...more power than Bosch, Specialized, Giant or any of the Euro bikes. With the soon to arrive second battery and rack, range should be near 100 miles, not bad for a heavier bike with abundant power.

Last edited:

FloridaZen

Region
USA
I looked at many different bikes. I have had many different ebikes. I needed one with more power and torque to overcome limitations being imposed on me by a health challenge.

The Como 5.0 was similar in performance to a bike I already owned, a Trek Allant 9.9S. Both required more effort than I have, when on a down cycle, getting back up the steep hill we live at the top of. We have a top notch Specialized dealer a mile away (at the bottom of the hill). They are also dealer for the Harley Davidson Series 1 ebikes.

I do not need or want an electric motorcyclye but needed an ebike with about 30% more power which is a niche well occupied by the Evelo. The bike is sold only in the USA and does not make compromises to be legal in Canada, the UK, Europe or Australia with their tighter regulations.

Evelo got the nod because of bike specs, specifically motor wattage and torque, build quality, company reputation, warranty and return policy. It is a well designed well built bike with a solid, maintenance free drive train and fits the niche I needed, just right...more power than Bosch, Specialized, Giant or any of the Euro bikes. With the soon to arrive second battery and rack, range should be near 100 miles, not bad for a heavier bike with abundant power.
All the best on your health journey!!

Thank you this is very helpful. This lack of ability to ride a bike before you purchase, even at the LBS makes this decision for us new to Ebikes a bit more difficult. I want something of quality so that I reduce the odds of needing to deal with repairs. I want lower maintenance as I am already very busy. Hearing you opinion on the quality is helpful.

I don’t need that extra power here in Florida but trips to the mountains of TN it may be a big benefit.

I will be getting 2 bike one for the better half. Do you think this too much for bike for a 5’4” 110 lb ? She is athletic … or should I look at other bikes for her?

Alaskan

All the best on your health journey!!

Thank you this is very helpful. This lack of ability to ride a bike before you purchase, even at the LBS makes this decision for us new to Ebikes a bit more difficult. I want something of quality so that I reduce the odds of needing to deal with repairs. I want lower maintenance as I am already very busy. Hearing you opinion on the quality is helpful.

I don’t need that extra power here in Florida but trips to the mountains of TN it may be a big benefit.

I will be getting 2 bike one for the better half. Do you think this too much for bike for a 5’4” 110 lb ? She is athletic … or should I look at other bikes for her?
If you can't test ride you would likely appreciate one of the unique aspects Evelo offers, their 21 day satisfaction guarantee. Starting the day your bike arrives at your door, you have 21 days to evaluate the bike. If, for any reason, if does not meet your needs you can have it shipped back to Evelo, at their expense, for a full refund, no restocking fee.

For your wife, you might consider their Galaxy 500, same maintenance free drive train with carbon belt and auto shifting with a bit let power and considerably lighter weight. This is a bike well suited to a smaller woman.

Their tech and warranty support is the best I have seen. They have terrific, knowledgeable bike techs that are easy to get ahold of, help you figure out how to make adjustments, figure out what is not working right and how to go about making the fix. They do not hesitate so send replacement parts when things go wrong, and they do on every bike or machine made by the hand of man. They really do make every effort to get you back up and riding in the least amount of time. If a repair is needed for which you need a special tool, they will send you one. If the needed repair is beyond your skill set, they will contract with a local bike shop and get it done for you. It really is a great company, in my experience.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Is the range actually as high as they claim?
I wouldn't expect that when you first start riding an e-bike. You're bound to be disappointed. I also wouldn't expect it under all conditions - which can clearly be all over the map. I would think an experienced rider, under the right conditions, just might find that "do-able"!

retiredNH

Region
USA
I wouldn't expect that when you first start riding an e-bike. You're bound to be disappointed. I also wouldn't expect it under all conditions - which can clearly be all over the map. I would think an experienced rider, under the right conditions, just might find that "do-able"!
Everything depends on your assist level. For example, spouse and I do a lunch ride several times a week when I'm between Chemo cycles and my energy level is up enough. Our most common ride is 11.5 miles RT with about 1000 feet of climbing. We tend to use power only for climbing, and only as much as we need. I have less strength than spouse, so I tend to use about 20% of my battery. She uses about 15%. So for either of us, a 50 mile ride would not be out of the question. However, we only average about 10.5 MPH. If we went faster, our battery use would go up and our range way down.
I've read posts by folks here that like to ride at max power as much as they can. They probably only get about 20 miles to a charge.

OnePutt

Region
USA
Alaskan, thank you for your well written review of the Evelo Omega. Reviews from knowledgeable customers are so valuable to me as I try to find the "right" ebike for my needs. The Omega has what I'm looking for in an ebike with the exception of a rigid frame. Actually I was quite surprised that any bicycle capable of going faster than 20 mph would be built with no suspension, not only for riding comfort, but stress to the bike frame when hitting an unnoticed pot hole. I read you added a Kinekt spring loaded seat post and was wondering if you rode the Omega before you made that change, and if so, what was your before and after impression of ride comfort, and do you have any safety concerns in the event of a hard jolt?

Alaskan

Alaskan, thank you for your well written review of the Evelo Omega. Reviews from knowledgeable customers are so valuable to me as I try to find the "right" ebike for my needs. The Omega has what I'm looking for in an ebike with the exception of a rigid frame. Actually I was quite surprised that any bicycle capable of going faster than 20 mph would be built with no suspension, not only for riding comfort, but stress to the bike frame when hitting an unnoticed pot hole. I read you added a Kinekt spring loaded seat post and was wondering if you rode the Omega before you made that change, and if so, what was your before and after impression of ride comfort, and do you have any safety concerns in the event of a hard jolt?
I installed the Kinekt before my first ride so no before and after. I am 72 and weigh 190 lbs. I find the bike quite comfortable. I also changed out the OEM stem for the Kinekt suspension stem as well. Between the two the bike is plenty comfortable and only really hits hard on the biggest flaws in the road. I watch the road ahead and get on my feet and off the saddle when I see a big one coming up and let my legs be the shocks. The Omega has a remarkably robust, reinforced and rigid frame for a step through bike. I live atop a 500 foot hill with a steep winding road down to town. At 35 mph moving through S curves, the bike tracks well and goes where you point it with nary a wiggle or wobble.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
One of the reasons the Omega does well without a suspension is about the tires. The 2.8" width really tames the expansion joints and pavement cracks. They run well at lower pressures too. I don't know about these tires, but I can say the 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto's have a fairly low rolling resistance, especially considering their size.

OnePutt

Region
USA
I've been impressed with the Evelo brand their use of quality components in the Omega model, so that's why I was surprised by a rigid frame, unless it simply wasn't necessary. I appreciate the replies and plan to keep the Omega on my short list!

Alaskan

So by rigid, I take it you mean no suspension. While a front and rear suspension do add comfort, they also add weight, complexity, and maintenance. I think Evelo's choice was highly influenced by their desire to produce a lighter weight and as maintenance free a bike as possible. I also own a Trek Allant which has a rigid fork and hard tail. It has a carbon fiber frame which does a pretty good job of absorbing higher frequency hits and vibrations. It also benefits hugely from the Kinekt seatpost and the Baramind Suspension Handlebar.

OnePutt

Region
USA
So by rigid, I take it you mean no suspension. While a front and rear suspension do add comfort, they also add weight, complexity, and maintenance. I think Evelo's choice was highly influenced by their desire to produce a lighter weight and as maintenance free a bike as possible. I also own a Trek Allant which has a rigid fork and hard tail. It has a carbon fiber frame which does a pretty good job of absorbing higher frequency hits and vibrations. It also benefits hugely from the Kinekt seatpost and the Baramind Suspension Handlebar.
Yes, I mean no suspension. It seems like front and rear suspension is found on mountain bikes designed for aggressive riding, but I thought an ebike would have front suspension. I'm 190# and 74, so I'm looking for a comfortable ride and thinking of the safety as well. I've ridden motorcycles my whole life, still ride a HD Street Glide, so I know what you mean about watching the road, and being a defensive driver. I do ride a 10 y.o. mountain hybrid non electric bike with fork suspension and they do help with some of the bumps. I hope someone puts out a video review of the Omega, showing it in action.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Yes, I mean no suspension. It seems like front and rear suspension is found on mountain bikes designed for aggressive riding, but I thought an ebike would have front suspension. I'm 190# and 74, so I'm looking for a comfortable ride and thinking of the safety as well. I've ridden motorcycles my whole life, still ride a HD Street Glide, so I know what you mean about watching the road, and being a defensive driver. I do ride a 10 y.o. mountain hybrid non electric bike with fork suspension and they do help with some of the bumps. I hope someone puts out a video review of the Omega, showing it in action.
Have you checked out the Evelo Atlas? Just sorting a new one out now and pretty impressed for my purposes....

As far as full suspension (front and rear), I think you're going to see more of those in off road use where it's easier to justify the weight and complexity as @Alaskan mentioned.

TForan52

Region
USA
I really don’t see the point of suspension for street ridden bikes unless your roads are really bad.