First e-bike purchase help! Please :)

steve mercier

May I ask what size frame do you need? Can you fit a 16.5" frame? Here is the piece that fits on beneath the quick-release to attach a MEC Trailer. If your bike has room for this it will work!
1576793547273.png

Last edited:

Thomas Jaszewski

Seems a wimpy motor for towing, but the Bosch experts here can answer. I support a lot of Bafang mid-drive users. The BBSHD and the newest mid drives from Bafang are being used commercially to haul trailers and push pedicabs. See Biktrix for Bafang mid drives.

steve mercier

With regards to to the Bosch motors, they have new improved motors for 2020. Therefore a substantial discount is in order before you should buy a new 2019 or older( my thinking is at least $500). The Performance CX is the uphill king of course ,but I would hasten to say that you can get up any hill with any motor. The Active line will get me up an 18% grade but does so slower than the Active plus which is slower than the Perfomance which is slower than the Perfrormance CX . To me the best of both worlds is a Performance CX with a Bikespeed delimiter which will climb and speed! IF you are pulling a trailer up an 18% grade you may want at least an Active Plus motor.

Last edited:

dblhelix

One more question regarding this bike - does anyone know if it will work with a bike trailer (the ones to pull kids around in)? I think they attach through the middle of the wheel and it doesn't work with all bikes i don't think? Thanks!
Melissa
I think most of the kid trailers have an adapter that you run the rear skewer through. This bike has a 9mm skewer, 135mm hub spacing. I’d contact the kid trailer manufacturer with this info, then follow-up with the bike shop you are considering for bike purchase.

dblhelix

Seems a wimpy motor for towing, but the Bosch experts here can answer. I support a lot of Bafang mid-drive users. The BBSHD and the newest mid drives from Bafang are being used commercially to haul trailers and push pedicabs. See Biktrix for Bafang mid drives.
I think the key issue is combined weight of trailer+kid(s). She’s good to 50-60 lbs.

melmb

With regards to to the Bosch motors, they have new improved motors for 2020. Therefore a substantial discount is in order before you should buy a new 2019 or older( my thinking is at least $500). The Performance CX is the uphill king of course ,but I would hasten to say that you can get up any hill with any motor. The Active line will get me up an 18% grade but does so slower than the Active plus which is slower than the Perfomance witch is slower than the Perfrormance CX . To me the best of both worlds is a Performance CX with a Bikespeed delimiter which will climb and speed! IF you are pulling a trailer up an 18% grade you may want at least an Active Plus motor.
That’s really good to know! Thanks! Do you know when they will start putting these new Bosch motors on bikes? I don’t know when Gazelle plans to start using them. They aren’t really putting a year stamp on the CityZen. Just continuing with the same bike a few months into 2020. So not sure it is going to be any different but getting the updated motor would be great. Thanks!

steve mercier

That’s really good to know! Thanks! Do you know when they will start putting these new Bosch motors on bikes? I don’t know when Gazelle plans to start using them. They aren’t really putting a year stamp on the CityZen. Just continuing with the same bike a few months into 2020. So not sure it is going to be any different but getting the updated motor would be great. Thanks!
I have seen a few models of Trek bikes(Powerfly and Allant) with them already in my LBS.

steve mercier

Great - is there a way I can tell if it is the updated Bosch performance line motor by looking at the Gazelle bike?
Good question. They call it the Gen 4 series and it is SMALLER than the previous ones but if you cannot tell by looking you should ask the dealer to show you the paperwork .
1576797787194.png

Last edited:

dblhelix

Great - is there a way I can tell if it is the updated Bosch performance line motor by looking at the Gazelle bike?
Heads-up. The bike in the video is a 2020 model but appears to have the Gen2, not Gen4 motor. This could be why the price has dropped $1k. It is not unheard of for a 2020 bike to have the older Gen2 motor. For example the R&M Nevo and Homage 2020 motors still will have Gen2. It’s all about when the manufacturer decides to upgrade the motor.

I’d ask your prospective dealer to be sure.

Edit: the HS is still rocking Gen2, so it’s a safe bet the T9 is as well.

Last edited:

steve mercier

There is nothing wrong with taking a previous Gen motored bike with say a $750+ cdn discount. (-: you can spend the savings on a nice trailer.

Last edited:

melmb

I corrected my post to reflect that our bikes (Performance Line) are actually referred to as Gen2 as the ActiveLine series became Gen3.
Right yes - makes sense. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the Gen 2 performance line motor i assume I am getting if I buy the t9 soon I am ok with getting it for the reduced price and saving the money vs the updated motor I think! Really appreciate your help explaining this! :)

steve mercier

Right yes - makes sense. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the Gen 2 performance line motor i assume I am getting if I buy the t9 soon I am ok with getting it for the reduced price and saving the money vs the updated motor I think! Really appreciate your help explaining this! :)
Yeah now you can use that info as a bargaining chip when you negotiate the final price.
[/QUOTE]

steve mercier

So my point is that is the Gazelle's original price was too high and I would negotiate as if $3300 is the full retail asking price. Don't get me wrong ,I think it is a very cool bike!

melmb

So my point is that is the Gazelle's original price was too high and I would negotiate as if $3300 is the full retail asking price. Don't get me wrong ,I think it is a very cool bike!
Oh yes nice. I really like the Giant one. So it’s just Bosch Vs Yamaha now! Yamaha motor has more torque for sure.