Fork upgrade for 2020 Turbo Vado 5

DanInStPete

SR Suntour is recommending the Mobie 25 or Mobie 45 (for heavier riders) as an upgrade to the NCX E25 fork that comes stock:

I've already bottomed out the fork a couple of times in rough spots at speed, and they do not offer a Hard spring upgrade the the stock fork.

Can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work? Since the fork comes set to 60mm travel and the stock is 50mm, does that mean the front of the bike will be raised by 10mm?

Thanks!

Sierratim

DanInStPere,

Yes, longer fork travel will raise the front of the bike. It will be raised somewhat less than than the extra fork travel due to its angle, but it is something to consider. It also changes the head tube angle a bit and raises the bottom bracket/motor. These geometry changes can make major differences in handling and safety if the change is dramatic. However, adding 10mm of travel shouldn't be an issue, except perhaps for the warranty. You might want to check with your LBS on this.

hurricane56

Too bad RockShox doesn't make the Paragon Gold with a thru-axle setup. I'd stick with RockShox or Fox if you're planning to upgrade. The issue with the Vado is that yes, anything that has more shock travel over 50mm will change the ride and handling slightly. The other issue is with the bigger brands is they don't make smaller travel shocks. Most of the shocks that are sold are probably MTB style with at least 100mm of travel.

I feel that the quality of SunTour is a lot better than a few years ago, it also seems like they're offering service parts for their products as well.

If you do upgrade, you'll want to figure out how to re-mount your front fender. SKS makes adapters and hardware for fenders, so factor that into your project.