Frame breakage Vado turbo

Orphanautos

Working on a Vado turbo for a friend. The clunking noise in the driveline turned out to be a break in the frame at the motor mount. LBS says they have seen two others with the same break. As this is a second hand bike there is no warranty in effect. No significant incident occurred that would have likely caused this ie a fall or curb shot pothole etc. So it looks like we are on our own to repair the frame. Anyone else out there repaired this? I believe we have designed a strap to reinforce the area where the break occurred after we weld the frame. Common sense says to remove all electronics prior to welding. What problems are we likely to encounter after reassembly? Attached is a photo of the frame break. Looks kinda deficient in strength to me to start with.43203

J.R.

Working on a Vado turbo for a friend. The clunking noise in the driveline turned out to be a break in the frame at the motor mount. LBS says they have seen two others with the same break. As this is a second hand bike there is no warranty in effect. No significant incident occurred that would have likely caused this ie a fall or curb shot pothole etc. So it looks like we are on our own to repair the frame. Anyone else out there repaired this? I believe we have designed a strap to reinforce the area where the break occurred after we weld the frame. Common sense says to remove all electronics prior to welding. What problems are we likely to encounter after reassembly? Attached is a photo of the frame break. Looks kinda deficient in strength to me to start with.View attachment 43203
There have been a few reports here and elsewhere of cracked frames on newer Specialized bikes. Seems clear a manufacturer's defect and I would press Specialized on the issue, whether second hand or not. Frames come with a lifetime warranty, probably for the original owner, but cracked frames are a safety issue. Someone could get hurt.

Keep an eye out for a recall.

Also consider contacting CPSC to file a report.

If you TIG weld, it could be repaired. Or a really good welding shop could do it. I would think if you repair it you might lose the right to a claim against the company. I am not an authority on this though. I would exhaust all possibilities with Specialized first. Good luck!

Orphanautos

There have been a few reports here and elsewhere of cracked frames on newer Specialized bikes. Seems clear a manufacturer's defect and I would press Specialized on the issue, whether second hand or not. Frames come with a lifetime warranty, probably for the original owner, but cracked frames are a safety issue. Someone could get hurt.

Keep an eye out for a recall.

Also consider contacting CPSC to file a report.

If you TIG weld, it could be repaired. Or a really good welding shop could do it. I would think if you repair it you might lose the right to a claim against the company. I am not an authority on this though. I would exhaust all possibilities with Specialized first. Good luck!
Thankyou for your advice. Pressing specialized seems to be the best initial course of action. My friends need of this bike for transportation is great. I’m trying to convince him to ride a “normal” bike for a while while we sort this out. I have a very qualified welder involved with the project. I am a compitent mechanic who can’t spell but not a qualified for the electronics...yet.

Turbo Vado Pip

My Vado 4.0 frame broke at the exact same spot. Entire bike replaced under warranty. Clearly yet another weak spot that Specialized are keen to keep swept under the carpet....