247.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20200502_090344.jpg
    IMG_20200502_090344.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200502_085747.jpg
    IMG_20200502_085747.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 107

Timpo

So, I took the battery case off the frame and the controer is built I to the base of the battery case. Nothing looks out of sorts as far as I can tell.
ohh okay, so was it kind of like Grin Technologies Baserunner?

Grin News - New Things for a New Year

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Timpo

oops I didn't see the photo, so that's why I posted the Grin Technologies Baserunner.

But anyways, that looks like you can open up the case and see what kind of controller you have.

DJL

OK, took it apart and don't really see any info or label.

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_105150.jpg
    IMG_20200502_105150.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200502_105138.jpg
    IMG_20200502_105138.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 124

Timpo

OK, took it apart and don't really see any info or label.
Okay this is unexpected.

That whole thing is a controller, I can see the MOSFETs (transistors) in there, so that's the controller for sure.
What I was expecting was that, I thought there would be a controller unit (almost always box shaped) in there, but I guess that bottom casing was working as a box.

The information was on your casing, I typed in "sc-zwk3610a" on Google hoping to at least find out the manufacture but no luck :confused:

I could not find any 4 pin Julet connector display either, looks like your electric component was specifically designed for your bike, instead of using universal parts.

The other option would be to swap the battery, display and controller (even the motor if you want). However it would be quite expensive, but you will more than likely be adding more power and range.

Your battery capacity is 187Wh, and your controller says 36V x 10A = 360W max. (and I'm guessing nominal output is 250W)
Almost any kit would surpass your current spec, but again, if you weren't looking for an upgrade, it would be an unexpected cost for you.

DJL

OK, well thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate all the research you did. Looks like I have a two-wheeled brick on my hands. Thank you so much.

DJL

I'm pretty happy with the motor size. The bike is light enough that I often use the motor just to get home. Would I be able to upgrade battery, display, and controller? I'll probably keep the motor.

Timpo

I'm pretty happy with the motor size. The bike is light enough that I often use the motor just to get home. Would I be able to upgrade battery, display, and controller? I'll probably keep the motor.
You can definitely do that, but there are numerous options depending on your criteria.

For example, do you want to keep it light? Because your bike will definitely get heavier if you get a high capacity battery pack (although I don't think it would be a big deal when you're riding), as a reference, the EBR spec sheet says your battery pack weighs 3 lbs, and typical ebike batteries weight at least double of that, but a lot higher capacity.

Also, how clean do you want your bike to look? Because if you get a typical controller, it won't look as pretty. Many ebike companies hide their controller inside the frame (if the frame is wide enough) but that doesn't look like an option here.

I like Grin Technologie Baserunner, because as you can see, the controller hide underneath the battery pack, which makes the clean look.
The Baserunner has 20V to 60V range, and 30A continuous and 55A max.
Your current controller has 36V, and 10A (plus or minus 1A) max.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
As you can see, DIY ebikes have this box controller outside, which does not look very clean.
Not to mention the poor wiring job.

DIY ebike: 1kW Fat Tire AWD snow bike for $700 + 4 hours of work ...

As you can see, if you buy a ebike from manufacture, it does look a lot cleaner.
But you can still see the controller outside. (Although it's nicely tucked behind the seatpost, clearner wiring, and etc,)
Rad Power Bikes Reviews - Prices, Specs, Videos, Photos

Timpo

Also, you can go up to 48V, which is more popular.
Your current set up is 36V, and maybe you can set your motor at 500W mark.

But obviously that might pose some risk if you go too high to it's up to you. But many cases you can do it safely.

Robcut1

Can somebody please tell me what to buy to keep the 8fun rear hub motor but connect it to a new electronic package including a battery, controller, etc.?