Garmin Announces Bike Alarm GPS Computers

Rincon

Garmin just announced two new navigation computers that include bike alarms. The Garmin Edge 830 and Edge 530 units will set off an audible alarm and notify your smart phone if your bike is moved. I think you need to be within Bluetooth range, so this would be for short term/short range stops. Nice feature for coffee stops and quickie marts--especially if you're in the market for a new navigation device. The units also integrate with Garmin's Varia rearview radar and taillight blinker system which warns on approaching vehicles.

mmwada

I am curious, what would stop a thief from stealing the Garmin device? I believe the 830 is almost 500 dollars. I have an 810 and I always remove it when parking my bike and it is very easy to remove. I do realize the alarm might trigger when removing. That said, thanks for the information. I will read up on how the alarm works. By the way I have the radar for my bike and it is very accurate but I don't trust my life on it. I still look.

Credible Hulk

Audible alarms can be a liability, especially if the device runs off of your battery. Vandals like to set them off for fun or to deliberately run your battery down. Plus you need to be nearby to shut it off, otherwise it just blares, annoys people, and gets stolen anyway.

Rincon

By the way I have the radar for my bike and it is very accurate but I don't trust my life on it. I still look.
Of course! I just bought one but haven’t tried it yet. Every reviewer on Amazon and YouTube seems extraordinarily happy with the Varia. I see it as useful on country roads where cars seem to come out of nowhere no matter how aware I am. Of course it will be especially useful with silent Teslas and the like.

As to stealing the Garmin with the alarm blaring, that’s a definite possibility. It is a tempting piece of kit. The reviews state that it is disturbingly loud. And you will get notified on your smartphone. It is a feature for quick and proximal stops, but yeah I’d be nervous about leaving it attached to my bike in any situation.