Happy with DJ Bikes MTB 2017/2018

CityExplorer

Just joined, and I'm surprised there is not more information on the DJ Bikes MTB on here and other e-bike forums. It's really a great bike for the money, especially once you adjust the top speed. Mine was sold as a 500W motor, but I suspect it is the same motor that is now advertised at 750W once you increase the top speed.

I've been very happy with mine since January 2018. I have 3 batteries, but generally only carry 2 when I'm out riding. I like to have a fresh battery as I start to go back home, as then I'm often on busier roads, or just ready to get home.

I wanted to get a bike with a larger battery so I would not need to carry the extra batteries often. I also kind of wanted to try a fat-tire bike and see what they were all about as I often ride off road on trails or where there are no trails. I could have gone with the DJ Fat Bike, but decided to try Juiced Bikes so I could see how they compared myself and they offered a larger battery. I went with the Rip Current S, but I've not ridden it yet.

Time to adjust the brakes and probably install new pads on the DJ MTB, but other than that and patching flats I've not had much trouble with it. It has held up great off road as well as on trails and the streets. I did spend a bunch finding the right seat and other accessories.

Are there other happy DJ Bike owners here that also have another e-bike they can compare it to?

CityExplorer

Took my DJ Bikes MTB out today as the weather was about freezing and the streets were mostly dry. Had planned to take the Juiced RCS out, but I had forgot to charge it because I had left it on purpose after the last outing thinking I'd get back on it quick and complete a full range test in colder weather; That didn't happen and today I wanted a full battery. Luckily I have my DJ MTB and lots of charged batteries for it.

This bike still impressed me, I was liking the more upright riding position of the RCS, and I noticed that the stem on my DJ-MTB was only at about 18deg from the last time I tweeked it when I first got it a couple years ago. So I decided to tilt it some more and found a nice happy position to try for a while. I'm impressed because this bike came with very practical components that allow for a lot of adjustments where they are needed. The RCS I would have to get a new handle bar, or more than likely get a new stem and a new bar. Luckily I'm happy with the existing stem and bar on the RCS, but I did have to add a daughter bar so I had some place to mount accessories. If I wanted to modify the riding position, it wold be a lot more work. Of course I still really like the RCS and i plan to write a more complete review when I have had more time on it, which maybe spring until I can get on some of the trails I ride.

Anyway, just posting that I'm still happy with this bike, and it still seems like it was a lot of value in an e-bike 2 years ago. The more affordable e-bike segment is still trying to catch up, even though there are models that look to meet it in value, there still seems to be several little things that put the DJ-MTB ahead.

Happy riding.

Last edited:

CityExplorer

I was on the bike again a couple days ago, and after riding the Juiced RCS for a few trips before getting back on this one, it really felt like I was getting on a kid's bike when in reality it is quite a large bike. The RCS in comparison though is huge. This one is much easier to handle off on narrow trails in the trees. The RCS is like a big Cadillac or SUV in comparison.

CityExplorer

Approaching 2500km now. I've been riding the Juiced RCS quite a bit, but as things dry up and I explore new trails that I don't know what to expect I'll be taking the DJ-MTB, as it is so much easier to handle getting over logs and other obstacles on narrow trails.

Put the bike on the repair stand yesterday for the second time only (first was for a flat). Gave the chain a good cleaning and lubricating, adjusted the breaks, adjusted the shifting (better than factory now), added some thin foam to the battery mount to keep the dirt out a little better. Took it for a short spin last night and it was running so nice. A couple deer stopped by to check it out, but they may have been more intrigued with the blinking tail-light, they didn't really say, but they hung around long enough that I know they liked it.

CityExplorer

Broke my personal record yesterday, did a 112km trip and it would have been longer if the weather was more cooperative. This is a great bike, but carry extra batteries so you can go until 'you' can't... and then continue! ... and let the bike take you home.

Last edited:

CityExplorer

IMG_4064.jpeg

Someone requested photo of the charging port. It is what is known as an XLR connector or Canon-Style.

Last edited:

CityExplorer

Passed through 3,000km today on the bike, but got a flat after that, and made it another 20km with tire sealant and co2, but could not make the last 7km home, as my co2 filler failed, and i was out of cartridges. I did get an offer for help from friendly guy with a compressor, but had already called for help, so patching it on the road didn't happen. I should have patched it earlier when by co2 was working instead of gambling at least after the need to fill it the second time.

I'm going to get some new tires now, as this was a nasty slice type puncture, and after 3000km the tread is pretty thin. Turns out lots of bike parts are all backordered especially the narrower MBT used for the 24-559 rims on the bike.

I won't be doing too many long trips before i get new tires or at least a new co2 filler. Last weekend my trip was just over 100km one day, and 45km the other.

update: all patched up now, makes it easier to move around, but waiting on new tires; excited to try the new tires, trying several different ones with various shipping times.

Last edited: