hauling stromer question

Bobstoltz

Asking opinions on which bicycle racks work best for stromer. I have a 2" receiver hitch. Thanks
Jim I have a Kuat NV 2.0 Bike Hitch Rack . I'm very happy with it. It also has a work stand as part of the rack. It is designed to handle the extra weight of a electric bike

Robie

Ditto Kuat NV, I have the smaller hitch model does fine for my St2 seems to smooth out with two bikes on board.

smitty

Asking opinions on which bicycle racks work best for stromer. I have a 2" receiver hitch. Thanks
I reviewed a ton of possibilities and settled upon a hitch from 1upUSA. There are some real good videos on YouTube about this hitch. Insofar as I am aware, it is the only platform hitch that comes as a single track. All of the others I reviewed were two-bike mounts. You can of course add a second or third track if you intend to carry more than one bike. They make two models, the second one which can handle the heavier e-bike and is built only for a 2" hitch. I did buy the "fender roller" to capture the rear fender; not needed up front. The single unit weighs about 25 lbs, comes completely assembled and can be mounted or unmounted in less than a minute once one gets the hang of it. For me, a large selling point was that it easily folds up and can be stored in the box it is sent in. I have only taken it for a short spin at this point, but it seems to work really well and is very stable. I also like the fact that it is made in the USA, virtually free of any plastic parts. Mounting or dismounting the bike is a breeze, with no straps to do or undo. It folds up against the car when not in use in addition to a couple of other positions that allow one to get into their trunk or hatch when the bike is loaded. Very well engineered from my vantage point. I believe they also have a 60 day return policy and their shipping charge is very reasonable.

Jim Kirk

Thanks for your help gentlemen. After reading reviews I purchased the 1up heavy duty. I love it so far! Thanks again

smitty

Thanks for your help gentlemen. After reading reviews I purchased the 1up heavy duty. I love it so far! Thanks again
Jim, just curious if you purchased the one bike or two bike setup from 1up. I really like the engineering and craftsmanship of the unit. While I don't need a second track, it might be useful when riding with friends to be able to carry a couple of bikes sometimes...I found the track arms a little tough to turn out originally, so I very slightly loosened the bolts to make it a bit easier to unfold and then mount the rack. Likewise, making it easier to fold up when removing. Thinking of making the mounting tool a it shorter so that it spins completely thru when tightening up the rack to the hitch...

Jim Kirk

I bought the single track. I only wish there was a way to lock it for theft protection. I wonder if you could drill a hole in the mount to install a locking pin

smitty

I bought the single track. I only wish there was a way to lock it for theft protection. I wonder if you could drill a hole in the mount to install a locking pin
Jim...check out the following: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) can't see why you couldn't drill a hole in the mount, but this might be a reasonable alternative? The special allen tool that you need to mount and dismount the rack from the hitch provides a bit of security, coupled with the hitch bar lock it would seem pretty impervious to theft for the most part?

OldMoe

Hi All, thanks for posting your thoughts on this issue.. I just purchased the Kuat nv2.0. Based on your posts, it seems like the right choice for trailering a St1and St2 from a to b.

Robie

Super nice rack I have the same, also a St2 2015 if you have exposed rear door handles in high winds tie it off or learn the hard way like I did. Don't forget to use the Kuat lock cable I drape mine over the pedal ,that's what kept mine from flying off the rack when the winds got a hold of it. Also provides a modicum of security from someone snatch and grabbing.

Last edited: