Heads-up: 1UpUSA rack does not work with bikes that have rear rack

Operator7

I love a lot of things about my 1Up rack, that I recently purchased. I love the looks of it, I love the way that it is compact and doesn't extend far away from the car (which means more room for parking), I love the way it folds easily, I love how quick and easy it is to place bike on, clamp and then go; However, I recently got a rear rack on my Stromer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004094HY2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00), and when attempting to clamp the bike down on the rack, I discovered that the arms will not fit under the rack's arms - which means that I basically cannot mount the bike unless I want to unscrew the rack every time :(

Now yes, I can take time to unscrew the rack every single time, but that GREATLY takes away from the convenience of being able to quickly load/unload the bike and go. I don't know what the think was behind this design... smh

George S.

You should shoot them an email with a picture. I can't visualize what would have to happen to get the rack arms under the bike rack with enough tension to hold the (expensive) bike in place. The sell a thing for fenders and an extension for fat bikes, maybe they can offer an idea or work on something. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 803

What you might want to try is to reposition the center post on the arm at a much lower position so that it contacts the tire below the rack. Not optimum for security but with enough pressure on the tire, even the lower position should be stable. I transport my grandsons bike and have to do so to accommodate the smaller tires.

Operator7

Thanks for the suggestions!

86, I will look into that next time I attempt loading my bike. I really like this rack, but was really bummed when I finally got the rear rack installed and couldn't get the arms under it. When I first thought about this whole setup, it seemed that the arms of the 1Up rack were narrow and close-enough to the tire that it would go inside a rear-rack's arms. It was close, but missed by several inches.

JackStraw

I have the city rack on my ST1 and it does go over the rack arms. Sorry to hear your Axiom rack doesn't. I love the 1Up rack....it's well made and very easy to use.

vincent

i just ordered a 1UP and this concerned me on my prodeco mariner also

hoping there is some way to make it work
thinking the going lower on the tire will work, but i dont have the rack yet

will post back when i get it and try the bikes

Operator7

I have been super busy with work and school, and we've had a cold weather patch, so I have not tried anything with this yet...

ST2

What you might want to try is to reposition the center post on the arm at a much lower position so that it contacts the tire below the rack. Not optimum for security but with enough pressure on the tire, even the lower position should be stable. I transport my grandsons bike and have to do so to accommodate the smaller tires.

Does it clear the rack on your ST2? Was thinking of getting a 1up for mine.

vincent

just realized i never updated this

i am able to haul the mariner on the 1UP, i just shift the bike forward or back and the rear arm is lower on the rear tire than i would like but the bike feels secure

that being said usually bungee it down in the center and it has a pretty tight bike lock on it too

i keep an eye on both bikes when hauling any but so far no problems