Help deciding on and sizing an ebike

RFH

Hi everyone. I like to bike (mainly paved trails and streets but...) am in decent shape (55 yr old woman) but have bad knees so hills are very hard for me. I am looking for an ebike that I can ride like a bike except for help w hills. I live in Atlanta where it's hard to try bikes, but have been thinking about the easy motion evo eco lite. Mainly be I want both the throttle and pedal assist along with decent # of bike gears. I don't care about speed. I'm 5' 3 1/2" with an inseam of 30. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try one.

My regular bike is a Raleigh hybrid, 49 cm. I saw an evo jet (2015) online for sale for half off and am tempted, it the sizes listed seem odd to me...44cm (medium) and 48 cm (large). I would have thought I'd be a medium but also. 48 cm. Any advice?

Also, how big a difference is the relaxed upright from a forward position? I'm guessing my hybrid, which has a straight handlebar is either considered relaxed or forward. Any thoughts or words of advice?

I have ridden a trek (I liked except no throttle and limited gears) and an electrobike - (the gamma. I would love the cross but it's about an inch too tall for me). The gamma was ok but again limited gears and a bit too upright for my tastes.

Thx in advance for your help.

pxpaulx

The easy motion bikes are a little on the large side, so the step through might be a better option for your height. Did the jet have a throttle? The jet does have a lower top tube, I'd definitely be going for the smallest size available. If you're on the smaller side, the pedal assist may be more than enough even for the hills, just by bumping up the assist level.

JayVee

Because it's an e-bike, you can make some little compromises with the position on the bike. For example, if you have a lot of traffic, you can lower the seatpost a bit so that you aren't so much on your tiptoes.

Regarding the frame size, I would measure the imaginary vertical bar that goes from the seatpost to the stem on your regular bike and compare with the geometry on the easy motion. This would allow you to see how "stretched out" your position will be. I mention this because E-bike makers have a very bad habit: they often design frame sizes according to the size of their batteries. Haibike's frames are so huge for their trekking models that some stores only carry XS, S, & M. In the men's models, Haibike's S size has a vertical top tube of 600 mm, which is pretty big for a "small" frame! Notice that I'm not even talking about the actual frame size (52), because it's almost entirely irrelevant. I could easily fit on the XS (48) even though I'm 6ft2. I could even accommodate myself with the women's small frame, which shows that there's something wrong somewhere! I've seen this on many other bikes.

I would ask to try out the half price model for fit if possible. I suspect smaller would be better. As I said before, look at the geometry chart on EMs website and make the same measurements on your current bike. It will give you an idea of how you might fit in the bike.

RFH

Many thanks to you both. This is very helpful. I will double check re jet and throttle but I'm almost positive. I'm also wondering about waiting on 2017 models as I could try those locally. But hard to pass on half off. Just not local.