Help make legal E-bike access for Santa Monica Beach Bike Paths

E-BikeAdvocate

Currently on the bike paths of Santa Monica, signs are posted on the beach bike paths stating "No electric Scooters No electric Bikes". I hope that there are others e-bike riders who live in Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area that could get involved. Please feel free to share your opinions and suggestions, regardless of where you live. If you have any positive e-biking stories to share such as your health improved or your now using your e-bike more than your car, please share.
Let's make our E-Motion an E-Movement.

Asher

Currently on the bike paths of Santa Monica, signs are posted on the beach bike paths stating "No electric Scooters No electric Bikes". I hope that there are others e-bike riders who live in Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area that could get involved. Please feel free to share your opinions and suggestions, regardless of where you live. If you have any positive e-biking stories to share such as your health improved or your now using your e-bike more than your car, please share.
Let's make our E-Motion an E-Movement.
I think that pertains to shared bikes; pretty sure the city-backed rental service Bike Center rents ebikes for people to use on the beach.

Technically Class 3 is illegal on the beach path but I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten booked for that.

Also riding ebikes on the SM beach path for actual transportation is dumb and often dangerous (sand on path).

E-BikeAdvocate

Asher you're right. Class 3 e-bikes are by law prohibited from both SM and LA beach bike paths. And yes there is apparently no enforcement. That being said, hypothetically, If an e-bike Class 1,2 or 3 rider in SM get hit by someone on a traditional bike riding reckless. The e-bike rider is on the beach path riding at what would be considered in a completely safe manor. Then the lawyers get involved. What would be the outcome? Just for lawyer fees alone, defending oneself could be astronomical.