Here’s what happened when a country let people trade in old cars for electric bikes

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I would love to see this program expanded to other countries to promote sustainable transportation! ;)

The program was developed by Lithuania‘s Environmental Project Management Agency (APVA), part of the country’s Ministry of Environment. The program began this summer with a budget of €8 million.
To qualify, citizens can apply for and then receive a subsidy of up to €1,000 (nearly US$1,200) for the purchase of a new electric bicycle, bicycle, e-scooter, e-moped, e-motorcycle or even public transportation credits, after exchanging their old vehicle, according to LRT. In fact, many of the older cars being traded in are worth less than €1,000, meaning their owners are already coming out ahead on the deal even before factoring in the additional savings on everything from car insurance to gasoline and parking permits.

Approximately US$1,200 can go a long way towards buying a brand new e-bike. In fact, we’ve reviewed several popular models of e-bikes in the US that can be purchased for that price or less. E-bikes such as the $1,199 RadRunner electric utility bike and the $899 Lectric XP folding e-bike have proven that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a legitimate car-replacing electric bicycle. So far the Lithuanian program has spent around 95% of its budget, but has already received an additional €3 million to keep the popular program running. As a spokeswoman for the APVA Austėja Jonaitytė explained:

“The initiative received a lot of attention from the population. The number of applications exceeded all expectations. For this reason, the Environment Ministry has allocated an additional 3 million euros from the Climate Change Program.”
1604257226035.png

Marci jo

Wow, what an interesting program and fabulous idea. Somebody should try this in the USA.
Wondering what’s their definition of a clunky. Does it need to be running?
Maybe we could raid the car junk yards and trade for some ebikes. Lol

rich c

Lithuania is about half the size of Illinois. The only way I see this working is in metropolitan areas, and then none of those with snow and ice. Going to be a long time before states and our Federal Government dig out of this Covid debt to fund programs like this.

Comfortably Numb

I believe we have a similar thing up here. I read it somewhere.
Maybe it's just our province. I simply ignored it since I have nothing to trade in.

CN