High range requirements, health issues.. Is an ebike right for me? Which one should I get? I would love some help! :)

dangerface

Hello :)
First post!

So, I'm looking to find a bike!

I'm just going to get personal right off the top.

I'm on disability assistance for mental health and chronic pain. It's stuff that some days doesn't show up or really bother me at all, and is pretty much not something you could tell by meeting me, but on the days when things flair up getting around and doing errands or connecting with community or just going and getting in the woods and doing things that would be really helpful for me become really challenging on my regular bike, walking or even by bus. Unfortunately it also means that while I do have a rewarding part time job and some other rewarding side hustles, especially before COVID, I've never been able to handle working enough to be what one would call, 'gainfully employed,' and a vehicle besides a pedal bike has always seemed out of the question thus far because of my budget. I tried my friend's ebike recently and was overjoyed with the freedom it gave me! I found a handful of great spots in Vancouver, Canada where I live I'd never been to on my first hour long ride! I have decided it's important for me to make an investment and get myself a vehicle. E-bikes have seemed like a great option except that I've realized that my friends bike doesn't get nearly far enough for me (I want something I can basically use in place of a car that I can ride all day and charge relatively quickly) and range is exactly the thing that drives the price up the most.

I'm working with an ABSOLUTE MAX budget of 2500 (And even that is a good 1500 more than I am all that comfortable spending) and am looking at 2nd hand bikes to stay withing budget but I know so little about bikes and so far the process has been really overwhelming and difficult.

I know this is an ebike forum, but I have also been considering gas powered bikes as well because it seems range/vs cost might work better and some are legal here if anyone is up for weighing in on that.

I would really love help/advice (Especially if there's someone that would be willing help me go through adds and find something!!)

Here's some me specs:
- I just under 6 ft and weigh just over 150 as far as bike size requirements.
- I need something that either is upright, or makes sense to have a higher handle bar stem and basically couch of a seat put on so my body is the least aggravated possible
- I do not have a drivers license/budget is an issue so something like a gas scooter or motorcycle aren't an option

Thank you very much!

Timpo

First post!

I'm on disability assistance for mental health and chronic pain. It's stuff that some days doesn't show up or really bother me at all, and is pretty much not something you could tell by meeting me, but on the days when things flair up getting around and doing errands or connecting with community or just going and getting in the woods and doing things that would be really helpful for me become really challenging on my regular bike, walking or even by bus. Unfortunately it also means that while I do have a rewarding part time job and some other rewarding side hustles, especially before COVID, I've never been able to handle working enough to be what one would call, 'gainfully employed,' and a vehicle besides a pedal bike has always seemed out of the question thus far because of my budget. I tried my friend's ebike recently and was overjoyed with the freedom it gave me! I found a handful of great spots in Vancouver, Canada where I live I'd never been to on my first hour long ride! I have decided it's important for me to make an investment and get myself a vehicle. E-bikes have seemed like a great option except that I've realized that my friends bike doesn't get nearly far enough for me (I want something I can basically use in place of a car that I can ride all day and charge relatively quickly) and range is exactly the thing that drives the price up the most.

I'm working with an ABSOLUTE MAX budget of 2500 (And even that is a good 1500 more than I am all that comfortable spending) and am looking at 2nd hand bikes to stay withing budget but I know so little about bikes and so far the process has been really overwhelming and difficult.

I know this is an ebike forum, but I have also been considering gas powered bikes as well because it seems range/vs cost might work better and some are legal here if anyone is up for weighing in on that.

I would really love help/advice (Especially if there's someone that would be willing help me go through adds and find something!!)

Here's some me specs:
- I need something that either is upright, or makes sense to have a higher handle bar stem and basically couch of a seat put on so my body is the least aggravated possible
- I do not have a drivers license/budget is an issue so something like a gas scooter or motorcycle aren't an option

Thank you very much!
So are you talking about $2,500 Canadian? :oops:??

What kind of range are you looking for? You just don't have anything in specific but as much range as possible for $2500?

Why second hand? Beause $2,500 (Canadian or US) is good enough to buy a brand new bike.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
First post!

Here's some me specs:

Thank you very much!

Welcome to EBR! You will be amazed at the mental health benefits that come from riding an E-Bike. ;)

Take a look at test riding some bikes locally to decide if you prefer a cruiser, commuter or step-through design.

Based on your requirements, you may want to consider pre-owned in addition to new... many bikes are backordered due to Covid-19.

Last edited:

dangerface

I'm ideally looking for something that I can go about 100 km from my house and back in a day at least. It kinda sounds to me from everything I'm reading about e-bikes that that's a bit of a pipe dream? I still might go the e-bike route if that's totally unrealistic but that high 2500 number is just what I would be willing to finagle if it meant getting something that could actually go as far as I'd like and be reliable. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to allot that much of an investment to it.

Last edited:

dangerface

Welcome to EBR! You will be amazed at the mental health benefits that come from riding an E-Bike. ;)

Take a look at test riding some bikes locally to decide if you prefer a cruiser, commuter or step-through design.

Based on your requirements, you may want to consider pre-owned in addition to new... many bikes are backordered due to Covid-19.

Thanks for the welcome!

I definitely want something upright - My standard bike is cruiser style and basically has a couch of a seat. I don't need a step through but I need the overly comfy seat and upright style for my back.

I'm definitely looking at pre-owned price wise, but I hadn't thought of that about back orders because of COVID. Good point!

byunbee

100km is equivalent to 62 miles each way which means you are looking for 124 miles range. Unfortunately, ebike with such range doesn't exist currently. If you go eco mode on a highly efficient motor 250w Bosch, Brose, or Yamaha you may get 50-60 miles. Batteries usually take 3-6 hours to charge depending on the charger. So if you want to make a round trip with less than couple of hours between the trip there and back, you'll need a 2nd battery. Batteries for those motors typically run $600-$900. If you have a place to charge your battery and will be there for 4-6 hours, you may get away with having 1 battery while carrying your charger with you.

With that said, it may be good idea to look for a good 2nd hand low mileage ebike from a quality brand and spend the money left over for a 2nd battery.

bicycle blue book is a good place to start. They often have prior year models they are trying to unload with 1 mile on the odometer for sometimes thousands less than original MSRP.
Crazy Lenny usually has some good deals, but right now with peak bike sales due to COVID-19, I haven't seen anything worth buy in couple of months.
I found my bike online that was part of an estate sale for $1100 for a 2015 Haibike Xduro Urban with 1 mile on odometer. The original MSRP was $4500 I believe.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
100 km / 60 miles is a realistic range for an EBike with a +500kWh battery in low/medium assistance.
Here are three retailers that I would recommend for a good deal on a wide selection of quality bikes.
Take a look at what interests you and feel free to ask questions... there is a wealth of information from EBR members.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Timpo

100km is equivalent to 62 miles each way which means you are looking for 124 miles range. Unfortunately, ebike with such range doesn't exist currently. If you go eco mode on a highly efficient motor 250w Bosch, Brose, or Yamaha you may get 50-60 miles. Batteries usually take 3-6 hours to charge depending on the charger. So if you want to make a round trip with less than couple of hours between the trip there and back, you'll need a 2nd battery. Batteries for those motors typically run $600-$900. If you have a place to charge your battery and will be there for 4-6 hours, you may get away with having 1 battery while carrying your charger with you.

With that said, it may be good idea to look for a good 2nd hand low mileage ebike from a quality brand and spend the money left over for a 2nd battery.

bicycle blue book is a good place to start. They often have prior year models they are trying to unload with 1 mile on the odometer for sometimes thousands less than original MSRP.
Crazy Lenny usually has some good deals, but right now with peak bike sales due to COVID-19, I haven't seen anything worth buy in couple of months.
I found my bike online that was part of an estate sale for $1100 for a 2015 Haibike Xduro Urban with 1 mile on odometer. The original MSRP was $4500 I believe.
If range is important 😬 maybe custom made bike with 3024Wh battery?
It's hard to keep it under budget.

Rear Rack 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

Triangle 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

Timpo

100 km / 60 miles is a realistic range for an EBike with a +500kWh battery in low/medium assistance.
Here are three retailers that I would recommend for a good deal on a wide selection of quality bikes.
Take a look at what interests you and feel free to ask questions... there is a wealth of information from EBR members.

If that's the case, OP would have to carry extra battery pack and problem solved!

dangerface

I does seem like having 2 batteries would be the way to go. Thanks for the tips!

Before I joined this forum I'd been looking at this one: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Would you mind weighing in on it? I'm concerned it may be too small for me for one, but not sure.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Not sure if he needs another battery... I think he was talking about a 100 km round trip. ;)

I'm ideally looking for something that I can go about 100 km from my house and back in a day at least.
It kinda sounds to me from everything I'm reading about e-bikes that that's a bit of a pipe dream? I still might go the e-bike route if that's totally unrealistic but that high 2500 number is just what I would be willing to finagle if it meant getting something that could actually go as far as I'd like and be reliable. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to allot that much of an investment to it.

byunbee

Not sure if he needs another battery... I think he was talking about a 100 km round trip. ;)
You may be right. It wasn't 100% clear. If 100km round trip, as long as it's mostly flats and he keeps it in eco mode, he should barely make the trip on one battery.

JayVee

Forget 2nd hand. The Rad City is $1999 in Canadian dollars. That includes shipping at the time I'm posting this. It's what I'd get for a cheap bike that's fully equipped (lights, fenders, rack, etc.). You'll go as far you'll go, just like with any e-bike. Manufacturer states 45 miles, which seems doable with a 672Wh battery. But that depends largely on your terrain, weight, and fitness level. You say you weigh 150, and I imagine that's 150 pounds. If so, that will help. Weight affects range.

There is some manual assembly required. You will also need to do maintenance on the bike, regardless of what brand you choose.

Otherwise just browse the plethora of cheap bikes that Court has reviewed.

byunbee

Most bikes on bicycle blue book are old models that are new or with very low mileage (<50 miles). Some people prefer brand new, but buying a prior years bike that's better built by more reputable manufacturers with better components is definitely not a bad way to go.

Last edited:

Captain Slow

If you're in the Vancouver area then I suggest you check out www.citecycles.com

I think the combination of budget and range expectations are quite challenging. I would suggest you consider the following:
1) Aventon Pace 350 and a spare battery that you can carry. That should come pretty close to meeting your two criteria
2) Just buy a regular bike and then use the transit system in combination with the bike. All the buses have bike racks now and you can put your bike on the bus to get you the extra range. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it is a practical low cost solution. You could probably get away with spending only $500 to $800 on a regular bike and then your transit costs.

I am local and I've spent a lot of time looking at ebikes the past few years. The bike I own that comes closest to your criteria is the Juiced Cross Current S, and the Canadian distributor is on Saltspring Island, he's a great guy. Hmmm, I just checked his website and he doesn't seem to be distributing Juiced any longer. He's making his own bikes which seem good but slightly above your budget and their range would fall well short of your stated goal. I would say it's a good value compared to most of the competition which makes your criteria quite challenging to meet.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to answer.

Timpo

If you're in the Vancouver area then I suggest you check out www.citecycles.com

I think the combination of budget and range expectations are quite challenging. I would suggest you consider the following:
1) Aventon Pace 350 and a spare battery that you can carry. That should come pretty close to meeting your two criteria
2) Just buy a regular bike and then use the transit system in combination with the bike. All the buses have bike racks now and you can put your bike on the bus to get you the extra range. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it is a practical low cost solution. You could probably get away with spending only $500 to $800 on a regular bike and then your transit costs.

I am local and I've spent a lot of time looking at ebikes the past few years. The bike I own that comes closest to your criteria is the Juiced Cross Current S, and the Canadian distributor is on Saltspring Island, he's a great guy. Hmmm, I just checked his website and he doesn't seem to be distributing Juiced any longer. He's making his own bikes which seem good but slightly above your budget and their range would fall well short of your stated goal. I would say it's a good value compared to most of the competition which makes your criteria quite challenging to meet.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to answer.
Aventon 350 is a good suggestion.

However, the stock battery has 36V 11.6Ah (417Wh) and claims to have range of 25-40 miles.
Not quite enough for 100km (62 miles)

However, 48V 21Ah (1008Wh) battery is available from AliExpress.
In theory, it can AT LEAST can double the range.

Although I'm not 100% certain, that AliExpress link is for Reention Dorado 505mm battery, which is very common for a lot of ebikes.
Juiced has a shorter Reention Dorado 440mm battery case.

One thing to note is that, Aventon 350 comes with 36V and the 500 comes with 48V.
I don't know if 350's controller can handle the 48V.

Anyways, I'd sell the stock Aventon battery and get the high capacity battery instead.

Captain Slow

Geez, that's a really good idea. That thought hadn't occurred to me, but I think it's possible it could work. One would need to ensure that it would fit and work though. There is a bit of risk.

I recall on some of the Juiced CCS models the 48V 17Ah battery had fit problems. I think a number of purchasers complained. I'm not sure how many as a % had issues. If it doesn't work then I'm guessing Aventon would just say, that's not our battery. I don't think it would be that easy to return the battery if at all if it didn't work.

Given the limited budget of the OP, I think this is a big risk to take though.

Too bad the budget wasn't bigger. The Hilleater Galiano seems like a beautiful ebike. It has a geared hub motor with regen and a torque arm. To me the torque arm is nice because it means a round and not a flat axle making wheel changes much easier. Plus with a 52V 15Ah battery it's one of the bigger batteries one can get. I think you'd get huge range with this bike. Not sure if it would be 100 km's, but it would one of the longer range ebikes one could buy.

I'm confident that I can get more than 100 km's on my Creo. In fact on Thursday I did a 100 km ride with 1,000 metres of elevation gain and still had 1/3 of the battery left. But the Creo is way over the OP's budget and admittedly the rider needs to be in reasonable shape to get that kind of range. But I used a bit more than 200 wh to go 100 km's with that elevation gain. Barely more than 2 wh/km, is the type of range I wish more ebikes had.

Timpo

Geez, that's a really good idea. That thought hadn't occurred to me, but I think it's possible it could work. One would need to ensure that it would fit and work though. There is a bit of risk.

I recall on some of the Juiced CCS models the 48V 17Ah battery had fit problems. I think a number of purchasers complained. I'm not sure how many as a % had issues. If it doesn't work then I'm guessing Aventon would just say, that's not our battery. I don't think it would be that easy to return the battery if at all if it didn't work.

Too bad the budget wasn't bigger. The Hilleater Galiano seems like a beautiful ebike. It has a geared hub motor with regen and a torque arm. To me the torque arm is nice because it means a round and not a flat axle making wheel changes much easier. Plus with a 52V 15Ah battery it's one of the bigger batteries one can get. I think you'd get huge range with this bike. Not sure if it would be 100 km's, but it would one of the longer range ebikes one could buy.

I'm confident that I can get more than 100 km's on my Creo. In fact on Thursday I did a 100 km ride with 1,000 metres of elevation gain and still had 1/3 of the battery left. But the Creo is way over the OP's budget and admittedly the rider needs to be in reasonable shape to get that kind of range. But I used a bit more than 200 wh to go 100 km's with that elevation gain. Barely more than 2 wh/km, is the type of range I wish more ebikes had.
It would work, as long the Aventon has 505mm.

My Juiced has 440mm, which is a bit rate. (Surface 604 has 440mm as well)
Because of this, Juiced couldn't use the Reention Dorado MAX, so they had to develop their own long range case.

I actually bought a battery from AliExpress (Eunorau was the seller), but I could only get a 48V 14Ah instead of 21Ah because Juiced has shorter battery.

The HillEater Galiano has 505mm Reention case as well. The 48V 15Ah pack you're talking about it probably the smallest option.
Check out this picture, the blue one has Dorado MAX and and yellow one has normal Dorado.
You can tell by looking at it. Can you see the blue bike's battery pack stick out to the side? That's the same one that I linked from that AliExpress seller.

IMG_9830__67174.1582144959.1280.1280.jpg

Timpo

The Aventon 350 is $1399 Canadian.

And the 48V 21Ah battery is $910 Canadian. (Depending on exchange rate)

So the total is $2309 (with two batteries)
But if he sells the 36V 11.6Ah battery, he can at least get some money back.

It will easily below his $2500 budget.

I would say the only risk is, whether or not 350 is compatible with 48V battery.
Because just by looking at the spec sheet, the Avento 350 and 500 are identical except the 36V and 48V batteries.

Captain Slow

I meant it was a risk in case it doesn't work. I wasn't as confident as you that it would work.

If it's certain to work, then I would agree, not a risk other than the voltage. You could do the Pace 500 and the battery you posted but that goes above the $2,500 limit.