High range requirements, health issues.. Is an ebike right for me? Which one should I get? I would love some help! :)

Timpo

A budget of $2,500 Cdn. and an ebike with a 200 km range? Not seeing it.
He might have some luck if he goes DIY.

According to DOST, their bike can go 120 miles (193km) with 48V 25A, Powered by Bafang BBS02.

So he can get one of these packs, and get a BBS02, or even BBS01 if he wants to save money.

Rear Rack 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

Triangle 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

pmcdonald

He might have some luck if he goes DIY.

According to DOST, their bike can go 120 miles (193km) with 48V 25A, Powered by Bafang BBS02.

So he can get one of these packs, and get a BBS02, or even BBS01 if he wants to save money.

Rear Rack 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

Triangle 48V 31.5Ah battery (1512Wh)

They're interesting options. Any real world mileages with this motor/battery combo? Anything the OP should be aware of with regards to a home build? Risks involved? Reliable vendors? How to you'd recommend?

Housekeeping note: an inclusive online space doesn't make assumptions about gender.

Oberst

I wonder if the Giant LaFree plus an extra battery might check the boxes and be new plus a large dealer network?

Timpo

Housekeeping note: an inclusive online space doesn't make assumptions about gender.
The OP didn't have her picture so I didn't know that she was female. For some reason I assumed OP was male 😕 I wasn't trying to be rude or anything..

Timpo

They're interesting options. Any real world mileages with this motor/battery combo? Anything the OP should be aware of with regards to a home build? Risks involved? Reliable vendors? How to you'd recommend?

If she is willing to pay for it, there's a company called Grin Technologies, and they supply one of the best DIY kit in the industry.. they're in Vancouver, Canada.
I think everybody in North America knows who Grin Technologies is, because of their products like GMAC motor, Cycle Analyst, Satiator Charger, Phaserunner, etc...
But they're not cheap, she said $2500 is absolute max.

pmcdonald

The OP didn't have her picture so I didn't know that she was female. For some reason I assumed OP was male 😕 I wasn't trying to be rude or anything..

Sorry, just intended it as a PSA rather than singling anyone out. In my head I picture everyone else on the net as being just like me, which I'm eternally grateful isn't the case!

Captain Slow

Originally there was no picture in the OP's avatar. I assumed male just because most of the members here are male, and the reference to being almost 6 feet tall. But good point I suppose I should not have assumed.

indianajo

I did 6 hours over 27 miles September 2018 when the wind was 25 mph in my face. 144 bpm all the way home. My hips hurt.
I have a softer saddle now, just as wide. With electricity, next 6 hour ride might be 50 miles.
What was really tiring was when the wife brought me to town to deal with a security issue, then left me rideless for several days. Bike was out at the summer camp. I walked out to the summer property, only 25 miles the short dangerous to bikes way but 7.6 hours. Sidewalks only for about 4 miles.
Warning to the elderly, the cardiologist spent $5000 of medicare money in 2017 proving my heart "has nothing wrong with it". Riding the bike without power since 2008 retirement had a lot to do with that.

Last edited: