Homage 2 month review

Clamps

Hey all.
So I've been riding my Homage Rohloff dual battery just about every day for 2 months. Put over 1200km on it so far.

I have some thoughts for anyone looking to buy one of these.

First off, this is an AMAZING bike. The range, the big fat back-end with capacity for all the cargo I'd wanna carry for now. Maybe one day I'll need a cargo bike, but for now this is perfect.
The Rohloff is fantastic, but it has issues....

I changed the tires to the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial front and rear. Really gives a sense of confidence on any surface I would take this bike on.
I went through 4 seats finding one that suited my butt. I'm sure the default seat that comes with the bike is fine, but it didn't work for me. Added a mirror and a phone mount for navigation (the Nyon navigation is so bad), and a few snack bags for nibblies and a walkie-talkie for comms with my wife as we tour.

The bike is a pleasure to ride. It's a bit of a boat, sure, but at 30+kg, that's to be expected. I jacked up the handlebars and sit like a king. So much fun. And the rear suspension and the seat I have now make it feel like I'm riding a sofa or something.

There are, however, some issues.
The gear selector button ring thingy for the Rohloff is just awful. It feels like a cheap piece of plastic with two micro switches in it, and the ergonomics suck. I'm 3D printing a lever that might help, but I don't have it yet.
The contortions I have to put my hand through to change gears has given me wrist pain. I'm hoping the printed lever will resolve that issue.

The Suntour rear shock died after 6 weeks. Spent a week in the shop getting that replaced. I'm really thinking of just upgrading to something less prone to failure.

I replaced the pedals, but there was nothing wrong with the default ones. I just like the spikey platforms I'm used to.

That's about it, unless anyone has any questions.

Spiffyflyer

Region
USA
I just received my new homage. Haven taken ot out of the box yet. I would be intrested in the file for printing your solution to the control button. I not sure I am ever going to ride mine. I decided to sell it in order to get the superdelite. Depends on the standover heights on the small superdelite.

Jay Kay

Region
New Zealand
The Homage (wife’s) is such a plush ride, more so than my Superdelite Mountain. I only wish the Homage came with the Fox upgrade like my Superdelite. You definitely sit like a king on a Homage.

NicolaI MTB produce a Rohloff shifter dropper bar/adapter for the E14. That might help with a more ergonomic position for the shifter?

FloridaZen

Region
USA
Hey all.
So I've been riding my Homage Rohloff dual battery just about every day for 2 months. Put over 1200km on it so far.

First off, this is an AMAZING bike. The range, the big fat back-end with capacity for all the cargo I'd wanna carry for now. Maybe one day I'll need a cargo bike, but for now this is perfect.

I changed the tires to the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial front and rear. Really gives a sense of confidence on any surface I would take this bike on.
I went through 4 seats finding one that suited my butt. I'm sure the default seat that comes with the bike is fine, but it didn't work for me. Added a mirror and a phone mount for navigation (the Nyon navigation is so bad), and a few snack bags for nibblies and a walkie-talkie for comms with my wife as we tour.

The bike is a pleasure to ride. It's a bit of a boat, sure, but at 30+kg, that's to be expected. I jacked up the handlebars and sit like a king. So much fun. And the rear suspension and the seat I have now make it feel like I'm riding a sofa or something.

The gear selector button ring thingy for the Rohloff is just awful. It feels like a cheap piece of plastic with two micro switches in it, and the ergonomics suck. I'm 3D printing a lever that might help, but I don't have it yet.
The contortions I have to put my hand through to change gears has given me wrist pain. I'm hoping the printed lever will resolve that issue.

The Suntour rear shock died after 6 weeks. Spent a week in the shop getting that replaced. I'm really thinking of just upgrading to something less prone to failure.

I replaced the pedals, but there was nothing wrong with the default ones. I just like the spikey platforms I'm used to.

What are the issues with the Rohloff?

Clamps

6th gear has acted oddly 2 or 3 times, where I change from 7 to 6, and it changes down, bites, and I peddle once or twice... and then the bite seems to vanish, I'm in "neutral" for a second, and then it bites again and all is well.
That and the gear shifting buttons are the WORST.

Twbres

Region
Europe
City
Tavira, Portugal
Hey all.

Thanks for your report. Curious what saddle you ended up with. Not sure I’m in love with the stock saddle either. Got my Homage about the same time you did. Thanks!

Clamps

I ended up with this
But I'm not sure it's my forever saddle for this bike.

fooferdoggie

6th gear has acted oddly 2 or 3 times, where I change from 7 to 6, and it changes down, bites, and I peddle once or twice... and then the bite seems to vanish, I'm in "neutral" for a second, and then it bites again and all is well.
That and the gear shifting buttons are the WORST.
it takes several thousand miles to breaking in.

Clamps

I'm worried these slips and the odd time I've got too much pressure on the pedals as it tries to shift, that I'm wearing or breaking it.

peterh_nz

Region
New Zealand
I'm worried these slips and the odd time I've got too much pressure on the pedals as it tries to shift, that I'm wearing or breaking it.
I always stop pedalling momentarily when I change. The change is easily fast enough and the action becomes habitual quickly. Very happy with the Rohloff.

Clamps

I'm very happy too. And I do stop peddling most of the time. I've started trying to make the tiny pause needed in the stroke into a muscle memory. So I can gear change uphill.

Twbres

Region
Europe
City
Tavira, Portugal
I ended up with this
But I'm not sure it's my forever saddle for this bike.
Thanks! Appreciate the info.