Home repair... manuals and manageable?

Latitude

I am a guy who really gets into anything I try out. Sailing, woodworking, gardening, painting, photography... I’m pretty good at all of those. Partly because I have an extensive library of books at home on all of the above. So my attention is turning toward bikes, the reason I am here. I am seriously equipped and self sufficient in any or all of the above areas. I have sailed and raced thousands of miles on the Great Lakes, built furniture, have artwork in collections all over the world, grow lots of our own food. Now to biking. I am about to order the Park Tools Big Blue Book as a starter reference (They have such good videos). Interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on home maintenance. What to do, what never to attempt, etc. Thanks!

Attachments

• F27FC7C5-C626-453F-A712-05E8DE86870B.jpeg
    F27FC7C5-C626-453F-A712-05E8DE86870B.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DC2234EF-22AF-42FD-A99C-41191075045A.jpeg
    DC2234EF-22AF-42FD-A99C-41191075045A.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2BF89768-A485-43EE-874B-0C70CEBAE1E9.jpeg
    2BF89768-A485-43EE-874B-0C70CEBAE1E9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 84EB91CB-6B4D-45B6-A68C-115F002FDC91.jpeg
    84EB91CB-6B4D-45B6-A68C-115F002FDC91.jpeg
    589.6 KB · Views: 48

MikeDD

I use the Park videos and sometimes youtube. I have not purchased a paper manual in years. I down load free manuals from the internet. This includes: cars, bikes, chainsaws, chipper, etc.

Latitude

I use the Park videos and sometimes youtube. I have not purchased a paper manual in years. I down load free manuals from the internet. This includes: cars, bikes, chainsaws, chipper, etc.
I’m a bit old fashioned. Really find the videos helpful, but there’s something about browsing a book that’s absorbing (even the Park Tool book author speaks to this in his video about it). Plus, I find it easier to have the book handy than starting and stopping a tablet beside the job at hand.

Dallant

Having just gone through a 2 week power/internet stoppage, I’m an even bigger fan of print manuals.
Sounds to me like you have the confidence and skill to pull off all but the most technical bike maintenance. My guess would be to stay away from cracking the motor unless and until you have the official service manuals and/or training.

Last edited:

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Another fairly accomplished DIY'er here. I've found books to be mostly out of date when working with state of the art equipment and ideas. E-bikes are not like sailing, flying, home building, or many other well established concepts at all. I'd love to find a good book, but often feel one has yet to be written with a focus on the newer information I'm most often looking for.

That in mind, I'm a huge fan of Forums like this one. It's only places like this you can find info/discussions/focus on cutting edge ideas and products, all while helping/advocating for others just coming up to speed. Solidly hooked here..... -Al

Last edited:
I'm more of a visual learner, so watching and emulating youtube videos is usually the most helpful for me.

But if you like reading I'll second the Sheldon Brown recommendation. There's an enormous wealth of bicycle information there, but he was a genuinely interesting and engaging person. You could spend days just reading through his personal blogs. It was very good of Harris Cyclery to keep everything up and keep it alive after he passed.

Dallant

I am a guy who really gets into anything I try out. Sailing, woodworking, gardening, painting, photography... I’m pretty good at all of those. Partly because I have an extensive library of books at home on all of the above. So my attention is turning toward bikes, the reason I am here. I am seriously equipped and self sufficient in any or all of the above areas. I have sailed and raced thousands of miles on the Great Lakes, built furniture, have artwork in collections all over the world, grow lots of our own food. Now to biking. I am about to order the Park Tools Big Blue Book as a starter reference (They have such good videos). Interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on home maintenance. What to do, what never to attempt, etc. Thanks!
Nice shop! I used a bench just like that when I built rocking chairs at a furniture shop for a time in my youth. Also spent many years as a corporate photographer.👍

Latitude

Another fairly accomplished DIY'er here. I've found books to be mostly out of date when working with state of the art equipment and ideas. E-bikes are not like sailing, flying, home building, or many other well established concepts at all. I'd love to find a good book, but often feel one has yet to be written with a focus on the newer information I'm most often looking for.

That in mind, I'm a huge fan of Forums like this one. It's only places like this you can find info/discussions/focus on cutting edge ideas and products, all while helping/advocating for others just coming up to speed. Solidly hooked here..... -Al
I completely understand where you are coming from. It is surprising there isn’t a better resource manual on Ebikes. Maybe a reflection on the fact that not enough people would buy one, but still, a digital version with a print copy for those who want one would be welcome. It would date itself quickly to be sure.

Dallant

Hell my problem is that they don’t even document most of the stuff specific to each model. For me it’s an absolute requirement to have the service manual if I wanted to do anything in depth to my bike.

Latitude

Hell my problem is that they don’t even document most of the stuff specific to each model. For me it’s an absolute requirement to have the service manual if I wanted to do anything in depth to my bike.
So true. The only manual that came with my bike was the Bosch one. Before Google and in fact the internet, this would have been so much more of a challenge.

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Last edited:

Latitude

Dallant, on another matter: It looks like the chain wheel cover from the Allant might fit my Verve + 3 now that I have taken the big, long chain cover off. The chain wheel looks similar. I don’t really need it, (rode 40 km through forest trails today with no grease stains on my jeans), but it looks nice and clean. Do you think it’s worth following up with Trek about?

Last edited:

rich c

I'm confused, you only mentioned bikes once and everything else is about home maintenance or home repair? LOL

Last edited:

Dallant

Dallant, on another matter: It looks like the chain wheel cover from the Allant might fit my Verve + 3 now that I have taken the big, long chain cover off. The chain wheel looks similar. I don’t really need it, (rode 40 km through forest trails today with no grease stains on my jeans), but it looks nice and clean. Do you think it’s worth following up with Trek about?
I really don’t know if it’s “worth” it, I mean that’s up to you. Maybe this photo will help to see if it might fit. There are 4 attachment points and the face is approx. 7” across.

Attachments

• 1FDEBCB2-6BE2-4A22-9C70-FE7E790C467E.jpeg
    1FDEBCB2-6BE2-4A22-9C70-FE7E790C467E.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 24

Latitude

I really don’t know if it’s “worth” it, I mean that’s up to you. Maybe this photo will help to see if it might fit. There are 4 attachment points and the face is approx. 7” across.
Thanks Dallant... looks like a fit, and the chain ring behind it has the same pattern from what I can see. Cheers