How do I fix my Ancheer Sunshine Bike Controller

rusty9073

Hi - I purchased an new Ancheer Bike (Orange Sunshine seen here: https://www.ancheer.shop/collection...battery-26-electric-bike-for-adults-black-red).
It worked for about 30 seconds on the first ride and then suddenly it ... quit working.
They battery appeared fine, everything lights up correctly when the battery is attached, but the pedal assist and throttle do nothing. As mentioned, they did work for a very brief time on the first ride and then quit and no longer respond when turning on pedal assist or pushing the throttle button.
After many communications with the product seller, it was determined that the "controller" was inoperable and needed to be replaced. It is kind of a long story, but the product seller was unable to provide this controller and reimbursed me accordingly for the inconvenience.
So...I have a perfectly good ebike, except the controller does not work. Does anybody happen to know how/where I can fix the ebike? I could perhaps do it myself it I can find the correct part for the controller, but I contacted www.ancheer.shop and they stated they do not sell the controller for the this Ancheer ebike. I took it to a local bike shop that is familiar with ebikes, but they said they do not work with Ancheer brand bikes and could not resolve the issue.
Any help anyone could give to potentially resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thanks for your help :)

Timpo

Okay this is going to be a little difficult.

I'm assuming your controller is in the battery cradle?
Judging by the picture, I don't think it is externally mounted.

Would you rather have battery cradle integrated controller?

Timpo

Is your battery case made by Hailong? I'm assuming it is.

Do you know your current controller's power rating? If you prefer, I think there's an option to upgrade.
Here's one has 6MOSFET and the other one has 9MOSFET

www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html

I am not familiar with compatibility / interchangeability of these controller, I'd double check.

harryS

Nice find, Timpo. I think the controller is in the battery too.

You have the LED control on the Ancheer, and you cannot count on an arbitrary controller being compatible. Best to buy the LCD and associated harness. Might as well buy all the peripherals (throttle, regular brake levers, and PAS) too. After you add cable and LCD, the rest of the bits add little cost. It will then be like a plug-n-play project,

Timpo

Nice find, Timpo. I think the controller is in the battery too.

You have the LED control on the Ancheer, and you cannot count on an arbitrary controller being compatible. Best to buy the LCD and associated harness. Might as well buy all the peripherals (throttle, regular brake levers, and PAS) too. After you add cable and LCD, the rest of the bits add little cost. It will then be like a plug-n-play project,

Yeah looks like they sell it as a kit. I think you can just buy a controller only, but I think it's better to buy a kit if budget allows.

rusty9073

Thank you both - I can tell you know a WHOLE lot more on this subject than myself :)

So, making sure I understand
...the controller is probably located in the battery cradle (not in the battery itself, but in the cradle that you connect the battery to).
...unless I replace it with the exact same controller, I would maybe need to replace the controller, LCD and other parts.

If those assertions are correct, a couple of follow up questions:

Do you by chance have a link to the kit I would need to buy?

Would this project be beyond the capabilities of a novice like myself who knows nothing when it comes to ebike repairs?

If I bought a kit like that would someone at an ebike shop be able to make the replacements?...or would you consider that cost prohibitive? The ebike itself was about $700.

Thanks again for all your help and expertise :)

Timpo

Thank you both - I can tell you know a WHOLE lot more on this subject than myself :)

So, making sure I understand
...the controller is probably located in the battery cradle (not in the battery itself, but in the cradle that you connect the battery to).
...unless I replace it with the exact same controller, I would maybe need to replace the controller, LCD and other parts.

If those assertions are correct, a couple of follow up questions:

Do you by chance have a link to the kit I would need to buy?

Would this project be beyond the capabilities of a novice like myself who knows nothing when it comes to ebike repairs?

If I bought a kit like that would someone at an ebike shop be able to make the replacements?...or would you consider that cost prohibitive? The ebike itself was about $700.

Thanks again for all your help and expertise :)
In my experience, it is very unlikely that bicycle store, or ebike shop (such as Pedego store, Rad Power store, etc.) will help you.

I have never came across a bike shop that would work on ebikes that they did not sell.
Every single bicycle store I went to, they (politely) told me to go away.

If you want somebody else do the work, your only option is ebike tuners, such as Grin Technologies, Luna Cycles, Bolton Ebikes, etc.

Last edited:

harryS

And you will need soldering skills to remove the old controller and solder the new one in place. For $275 plus $100 shipping, you could buy the whole battery with all the pieces. Too much for a $690 ebike,

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves, because you may not even need a new controller. Usually ebikes don't work because of bad wiring or a crappy battery, I've not had a failed controller on a bike after I put it together, but I have had loose connectors.

Last edited:

Timpo

And you will need soldering skills to remove the old controller and solder the new one in place.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves, because you may not even need a new controller. Usually ebikes don't work because of bad wiring or a crappy battery, I've not had a failed controller on a bike afer I put it together, but I have had loose connectors.
I don't think it's the battery.🤔
He said it lights up fine, and throttle or pedals do nothing. Weak battery would usually propel the motor slightly.
Although he would need to measure the voltage using multimeter or something to make sure that the battery is okay, I think the chance is slim.

Bad connection, possibly.
And I know you haven't had a problem with controller but I think controller can be defective.

harryS

Here's a better link. Same vendor, but now we're looking at the base. You can buy the whole battery base from topbikekit.com. You also need a KT display. Unplug your throttle and brake cables, If they are three pin (green) and two pin (red) respectively as in the images, they will probably work, Ditto for the PAS sensor. The LED disolay might even work if it has 5 pins, but the KT LCD is worth it, No soldering. Just plug in the plugs,

rusty9073

You guys are so awesome! Thank you so much for all your help and advise so far. I don't think I have ever asked a question in a forum and received so much help, so it is very much appreciated :)

So I did previously take the bike to a local bike shop to check out. As mentioned before, they wont work on Ancheer bikes but he was willing to check over the connections for a fee, and he checked the wiring and did not find any loose connections. The battery...seems to be working OK, as the display works and lights up when connected.

The link to the controller you gave looks almost identical to the one on my bike (see picture). I am going to purchase it and try to replace it and see how that works? The wires appear jammed inside the bike and I am a little unsure if I can get the connectors out to swap it out, but here's for hoping. I will keep you updated and if you think of any addition information that might be helpful please let me know. Thank you again so much for your expertise :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210101_130553012.jpg
    IMG_20210101_130553012.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 39

rusty9073

Here's a better link. Same vendor, but now we're looking at the base. You can buy the whole battery base from topbikekit.com. You also need a KT display. Unplug your throttle and brake cables, If they are three pin (green) and two pin (red) respectively as in the images, they will probably work, Ditto for the PAS sensor. The LED disolay might even work if it has 5 pins, but the KT LCD is worth it, No soldering. Just plug in the plugs,

Hi - So it looks like this is about $70, so I wanted to check and see/confirm if what I have is similar. I was able to successfully remove the controller from the Acheer ebike and took photos. I looks fairly similar, with same connectors. The 9 pin cord is longer so I am guessing I would also need to buy the short 9 pin extension cord. Does this like aliexpress item look interchangeable with what I have (the four pin option)? Let me know if you can and thanks again for all the help :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_155023180.jpg
    IMG_20210102_155023180.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210102_154450718.jpg
    IMG_20210102_154450718.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210102_154638110.jpg
    IMG_20210102_154638110.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210102_155011932.jpg
    IMG_20210102_155011932.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    818.6 KB · Views: 35

harryS

You note that this is for the big Hailong case and that they sell a different one for the little Hailong case. I also see that you have a 6FET controller in your battery. That suggests you may need this one for the smaller battery,

You're also expecting your LED display to work. If KT made both controllers then I guess it should. Do you recall from your brief ride, or from the owner info, if that display has a speed display? If it does, then it is a digital unit and will work. Otherwise you could buy a better LCD version with a numeric output, but that's 50 bucks. Worth it though.

I am impressed that Ancheer is using more popular parts like the Hailong case and KT controllers in their ebikes.

Last edited:

Timpo

You note that this is for the big Hailong case and that they sell a different one for the little Hailong case. I also see that you have a 6FET controller in your battery. That suggests you may need this one for the smaller battery,

You're also expecting your LED display to work. If KT made both controllers then I guess it should. Do you recall from your brief ride, or from the owner info, if that display has a speed display? If it does, then it is a digital unit and will work. Otherwise you could buy a better LCD version with a numeric output, but that's 50 bucks. Worth it though.

I am impressed that Ancheer is using more popular parts like the Hailong case and KT controllers in their ebikes.
Why not just upgrade it 9FET?

You're replacing your controller anyways, so might as well.

Timpo

Hi - So it looks like this is about $70, so I wanted to check and see/confirm if what I have is similar. I was able to successfully remove the controller from the Acheer ebike and took photos. I looks fairly similar, with same connectors. The 9 pin cord is longer so I am guessing I would also need to buy the short 9 pin extension cord. Does this like aliexpress item look interchangeable with what I have (the four pin option)? Let me know if you can and thanks again for all the help :)
looks like you will need to solder those 4 pin battery connector on your new controller.

As you can see, there are red and black wire hanging there not attached to anything.

harryS

Don't know if his battery fits the 9FET cradle, I also saw the stand alone controller, but he can buy it as an option with the cradle and I assume that's already soldered, If it were me, I'd be soldering, Well, if it were my bike, I'd want to know whether the motor was good before going further, I'd plug it onto one of my beater bikes,

These bike shop guys are leaving business out there, NIne pin cable standard motor cable, Just plug it into an existing bike.,

Timpo

Don't know if his battery fits the 9FET cradle, I also saw the stand alone controller, but he can buy it as an option with the cradle and I assume that's already soldered, If it were me, I'd be soldering, Well, if it were my bike, I'd want to know whether the motor was good before going further, I'd plug it onto one of my beater bikes,

These bike shop guys are leaving business out there, NIne pin cable standard motor cable, Just plug it into an existing bike.,
I just double checked, these two are both 9 Mosfet controllers, yet they have slightly different battery cradles.

harryS

Up to the OP to decide if he wants the higher current controller. The bike won't go any faster, but will have more acceleration. One controller is 22A and the other is 15A. The question is what is the battery's maximum, and what does it do when it hits it. In my experience, some packs shut down because of voltage sag. Others just grunt and keep pumping.

McCorby

This!

Timpo

Up to the OP to decide if he wants the higher current controller. The bike won't go any faster, but will have more acceleration. One controller is 22A and the other is 15A. The question is what is the battery's maximum, and what does it do when it hits it. In my experience, some packs shut down because of voltage sag. Others just grunt and keep pumping.
Yes it will.

I know from experience. I went from 15A controller to 20A controller and the bike completely transformed.