How many miles do you have on your e-bike with a Brose motor?

rede

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I have had many responses from people with 4000+ miles without any problems. Here are some replies on a different but similar thread about bikes with Brose motors.

- 6000km (3700miles) with Brose motors on 2 Specialized Vados. Had a problem at about 200km and haven't had any problems since.
- Just hit 400 trouble free miles on my Moda this morning
- I'm up to 700 miles on the Brose S that's in my BH Atom X.
- I have read user reports having problems with the display not going above 10.000km at a Specialized Vado (solution is to display in miles).
My 2016 bike is actually the second one as there were so many problems, they replaced the first bike. On the second one, the battery, harness, motor, chain, cassette, and derailleur have all been replaced, not to mention the brakes under recall. Of course the early Levo FSR’s don’t even have a display, and you have to rely on the Mission Control app, which is no prize in terms of support, like zero. So I was happy that after 6 trouble free months in 2019, the problems were resolved. The bike handling is superb, the electric drive is unreliable. BTW, the 11 speed cassette ought to be replaced with a 7 or 9 speed, allowing a more robust chain. My new dealer, Hilltop Bicycles in NJ, is top notch. Specialized is near enough useless in terms of any direct support.

rede

Just heard back from the dealer on the latest failure. Specialized is sending a new motor. So this is bike #2 and motor #3. Saw the thread about belt tensioning in the Brose motor. I wonder if mine has a belt tensioning mechanism that hasn’t been adjusted. Certainly there is nothing in their generic operator’s manual that suggests any motor adjustments. A $5000 bike with a kiddie book for maintenance. Again, fortunately, I now have a competent and responsive dealer.

rede

Just heard back from the dealer on the latest failure. Specialized is sending a new motor. So this is bike #2 and motor #3. Saw the thread about belt tensioning in the Brose motor. I wonder if mine has a belt tensioning mechanism that hasn’t been adjusted. Certainly there is nothing in their generic operator’s manual that suggests any motor adjustments. A $5000 bike with a kiddie book for maintenance. Again, fortunately, I now have a competent and responsive dealer.
The new motor (#3) has been installed, under warranty. It appears identical to the previous units, so it's not known if it's an upgrade. I specifically asked if there is an external adjustment for belt tension, and the answer is no. Specialized says the problems I've had are highly unusual, and they will analyze the failure and report back. Don't forget that they have a special tag on the motor, which breaks if you open it up, thereby voiding the warranty, and so the dealer won't touch it. It reminds me of the old wive's tale about opening the hood on a Rolls Royce.

rede

The new motor (#3) has been installed, under warranty. It appears identical to the previous units, so it's not known if it's an upgrade. I specifically asked if there is an external adjustment for belt tension, and the answer is no. Specialized says the problems I've had are highly unusual, and they will analyze the failure and report back. Don't forget that they have a special tag on the motor, which breaks if you open it up, thereby voiding the warranty, and so the dealer won't touch it. It reminds me of the old wive's tale about opening the hood on a Rolls Royce.
Got the bike back from dealer. The performance is better than ever. Very smooth power transfer, no hesitation. In checking the motor temperature after two rides, it seems to be much lower than in previous rides. After both rides, 10 and 12 miles, the temperature was 100F and 110F. I've never seen it that low. Usually 150-160F, though that would have probably been at 70-90F outside temperature, not 40F. Anyway, wondering if the new motor is an upgrade? Hope it lasts.

Mass Deduction

Got the bike back from dealer. The performance is better than ever. Very smooth power transfer, no hesitation. In checking the motor temperature after two rides, it seems to be much lower than in previous rides. After both rides, 10 and 12 miles, the temperature was 100F and 110F. I've never seen it that low. Usually 150-160F, though that would have probably been at 70-90F outside temperature, not 40F. Anyway, wondering if the new motor is an upgrade? Hope it lasts.
We were selling a lot of bikes with Brose motors, and I was personally a big fan of the smoothness and quietness of Brose. I personally owned two bikes with Brose motors, one a fat-tired hybrid and the other a gravel bike (the latter of which is quite magnificent and the one I did my furthest single-day distance on of 275 km). I had a lot of fun on both of those bikes.

But our bike shop is not getting big mileage out of the motors before they need servicing, or conk out entirely. They're all Brose Drive TF motors (which is a class 3 motor). We won't be ordering more bikes with Brose motors for the time being, unfortunately. Maybe down the road if they're proving to be lower maintenance. I think the largest distance count we've seen on any Brose-equipped bike we've sold before it needed servicing was 3500 km. Brose's being really good about it, but we don't like inconveniencing customers or tying up our repair shop with problems.

Last edited:

Quadracer

We were selling a lot of bikes with Brose motors, and I was personally a big fan of the smoothness and quietness of Brose. I personally owned two bikes with Brose motors, one a fat-tired hybrid and the other a gravel bike (the latter of which is quite magnificent and the one I did my furthest single-day distance on of 275 km). I had a lot of fun on both of those bikes.

But our bike shop is not getting big mileage out of the motors before they need servicing, or conk out entirely. They're all Brose Drive TF motors (which is a class 3 motor). We won't be ordering more bikes with Brose motors for the time being, unfortunately. Maybe down the road if they're proving to be lower maintenance. I think the largest distance count we've seen on any Brose-equipped bike we've sold before it needed servicing was 3500 km. Brose's being really good about it, but we don't like inconveniencing customers or tying up our repair shop with problems.
Its interesting you have had so many issues with them. My 2017 vado has now done 13000km on the original motor never been serviced. I know its due for one before it hits 15000km. I wonder if its how we are riding our bikes putting to much strain on the motor. Myself i like to ride with a higher cadense. l live in an area with hilly terrain so my bike hasnt got the easiest of lives but is as smooth as the day i picked it up. Maybe ive just been lucky!

Johnny

How about Brose S? Are they better in terms of reliability compared to tf?

Mass Deduction

How about Brose S? Are they better in terms of reliability compared to tf?
Don't know, all the Brose units we've sold have been Drive TF. We're leary of bringing in any else for now, so I'd love some feedback from owners of Drive S and Drive S Mag (or dealers that sell them) about their reliability.