How to carry a 2nd battery for the Turbo Vado 5.0

GuruUno

Considering a 2nd battery for my Turbo Vado 5.0
The 'rides' I participate in are averaging 20-30 miles daily, except on weekends they go 35-100 miles. No problem, as I return with minimal 25%, and as much as 47%, depending on conditions for my normal Tuesday-Friday rides which never exceed 35 miles.
I obviously cannot participate in +50/60 miles because of distance, elevation, wind, temperature, etc., as the cold weather sets in and forcing me to have to possibly be in a compromising situation with no assistance.
So, I'd like to fell more comfortable knowing I can deal with a potential "out of gas" situation, and because the Vado 5.0 does not have any secondary battery options like the SL Vado, how then should I expect to carry an addition (and invested in for $1,00 as a round number) battery.
Question is:
If I buy a 2nd battery, how and where do I carry it without hassle?

reed scott

The 'rides' I participate in are averaging 20-30 miles daily, except on weekends they go 35-100 miles. No problem, as I return with minimal 25%, and as much as 47%, depending on conditions for my normal Tuesday-Friday rides which never exceed 35 miles.
I obviously cannot participate in +50/60 miles because of distance, elevation, wind, temperature, etc., as the cold weather sets in and forcing me to have to possibly be in a compromising situation with no assistance.
So, I'd like to fell more comfortable knowing I can deal with a potential "out of gas" situation, and because the Vado 5.0 does not have any secondary battery options like the SL Vado, how then should I expect to carry an addition (and invested in for $1,00 as a round number) battery.
Question is:

There's a huge recent thread on this somewhere here. Try search.

reed scott

I kinda think Guru doesn't quite understand how forum software works.

Brendon@TBSM

Regardless the question has been answered.

psimkins

Question is:
I just received my Vado 5.0. funny you should ask. I purchased a spare battery(604AH) and found a trunk bag by Sahoo just big enough for the battery. I am concerned about keeping the spare safe from falling, so I am going to buy a racktime adapter so I can secure the trunk/battery to the racktime rear carrier. Hopefully this will keep the battery secure.

GuruUno

I asked, since I was of the belief there was no preferred solution.
Contrary to your assumption, I do know how forum software works.
I just jumped in and asked a question, and did not "search" for a discussion that had direct relevance to my specific inquiry.
Thank you for point out my inability and deficiencies.
I look forward to continuing to participate in these lively, informative discussion and being told I don't know what I am doing.
It is such a pleasure to utilize the information provided by those who so professionally contribute, yet be told I do not know how to do things.
Oh, so helpful.

GuruUno

So, without me removing the existing battery to perform calculations of sizing, has anyone actually provided the exact specifications (size, length, width, height, weight) of the battery, as I cannot find it, as I used the 'forum software' and was not able to retrieve that information.
If it does exist somewhere here, excuse my ignorance that I cannot find it within the abilities of the forum software.

GuruUno

So, if the https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ortlieb/Frame-Pack-Toptube-Bag-2021-Model-p79019/ is an option, it's specs say it is Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 cm x 50 cm x 6 cm, and if the Vado/Como battery is 16" (53cm) long, then this can be a viable option, correct?

The advantage vs the https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/bikepacking-series/967-midloader 46 x 12 x 6 cm / 18.1” x 4.7” x 2.4” (4.5 L) other than the cost is?

Finally, if a battery is about $900 to $1,000 is it maybe available for less anywhere, or if others are interested, a "group" buy?

Oh, and last thing, the Turbo Vado SL has the water bottle battery for a few hundred dollars and maybe 25-30 miles range.
Can it be retrofitted to the Vado 5.0 and still have the warranty be valid?

Brendon@TBSM

So, if the https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ortlieb/Frame-Pack-Toptube-Bag-2021-Model-p79019/ is an option, it's specs say it is Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 cm x 50 cm x 6 cm, and if the Vado/Como battery is 16" (53cm) long, then this can be a viable option, correct?

The advantage vs the https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/bikepacking-series/967-midloader 46 x 12 x 6 cm / 18.1” x 4.7” x 2.4” (4.5 L) other than the cost is?

Finally, if a battery is about $900 to $1,000 is it maybe available for less anywhere, or if others are interested, a "group" buy?

Oh, and last thing, the Turbo Vado SL has the water bottle battery for a few hundred dollars and maybe 25-30 miles range.
Can it be retrofitted to the Vado 5.0 and still have the warranty be valid?

No it can't be retrofitted.

Again, the Ortlieb E Mate is MADE to carry a second battery.

GuruUno

Did you succeed with the pannier @GuruUno?
Never got the 2nd battery, the "deal" fell through, so the optional carry requirements are not needed.
Holding on until Spring to see if better batteries/prices, or other alternatives may become available.
BTW, if anyone is looking for a deal of a deal of a deal for a 2nd battery, i found one in Canada, but it cannot be shipped to USA/Customs, Lithium, etc., all the negative stuff. I tried and tried.
$700 CAD / $525 US!!!!
Here is the link. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2889318/
If anyone wants to go get it for me, I'll pay you $75 (like that will never happen)

B

BarryS

Never got the 2nd battery, the "deal" fell through, so the optional carry requirements are not needed.
Holding on until Spring to see if better batteries/prices, or other alternatives may become available.
BTW, if anyone is looking for a deal of a deal of a deal for a 2nd battery, i found one in Canada, but it cannot be shipped to USA/Customs, Lithium, etc., all the negative stuff. I tried and tried.
$700 CAD / $525 US!!!!
Here is the link. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2889318/
If anyone wants to go get it for me, I'll pay you $75 (like that will never happen)
THere is a place I looked up online that Court Spoke on last year > They can build you a Battery for less then 1/2 > Of course you'd have to supply the Cover . And pay Hazmet

Dakota

To carry an extra battery we found a bag on REI website that would do the job. We added a double bottle cage under the saddle to create an anchor point that stabilizes the bag nicely. Velcro straps on the bag secure the bag to the rack. We carry repair kit, pump, food, jacket, etc.. in the bag. We have a 100 mile range now with the extra battery. I ride a Creo Turbo SL E5. Life is good.

Attachments

• Vado with bag.jpg
    Vado with bag.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Vado with bag two.jpg
    Vado with bag two.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 68